PDA

View Full Version : South African CPL

zoej
18th Feb 2005, 23:40
hi,
I am looking at doing my CPL,Night Vfr, Multi engine command instrument rating and my grade 3 Instructors in South Africa as it is alot cheaper.
The only probelm is that I want to come back to Australia and instruct... and then eventually do my APTL.
Does anyone know what tests/further qualifications I would have to do when I returned to Australia?
thanks
zoe

skytops
20th Feb 2005, 08:32
You'd have to re-sit the CPL exams and the CPL flight test. All your hours in South Africa would count though, so it's possible it could work out, slightly, cheaper.

Herc Jerk
22nd Feb 2005, 01:51
Zoe,

Not disagreeing with the above, but i would say call CASA directly and get it straight from the source, preferably in writing (also possibly on their website under something like "foriegn license conversion"), before you go ahead with such a life-changing decision as the one you're contemplating. There may be minimum hour/experience and/or type rating (read endorsement in AUS speak) requirements plus re-sitting examinations as was mentioned.

My 2 cents for what its worth: a ZS license might be handy if you were contemplating heading for places like Botswana (low-time/first jobs, like a Kunnunurra in Africa) and then getting into a company like Solenta or Rossair as an FO as these companies operate ZS registered machines. Problem is these companies mostly operate in the "less fortunate" parts of Africa where they are busy killing each other.

If, as you say, you are keen to instruct in AUS then you may find it difficult to break the ice as a low timer when you come back after doing your license O/S. You may just find things smoother by finding an instructional school that hires it's own students, has a good progression as an instructor and possibly does multi engine charter of some sort. Throw your lot in with them and make it known you want to work there when you're finished your license, whilst working hard and getting to know people. It may cost a little extra at first, but also may pay dividends in the long run.

You might even get to stay living on the Goldie! Believe me it its better than Angola et al, even Kunnunurra for that matter...

Good Luck with whatever you choose

HJ

zoej
23rd Feb 2005, 05:38
hi guys
thanks for all the help. I will definitally look further into it.
zoe

Icarus2001
23rd Feb 2005, 06:08
Well first of all, is it really that much cheaper allowing for air fares, accomodation and loss of part time earning potential that you would have if you stayed in Australia?

If you train in Australia you will learn our system in our environment. A system that you will then try to teach to new students as a Grade 3 Instructor. I would strongly advise training in Australia if that is where you intend to seek work. How would you explain your decision to go overseas in search of "cheap" training when job interview time comes around?

Try here...http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/overbr.htm

I Fly
23rd Feb 2005, 11:30
I think that if you try the CASA website as suggested by Icarus 2001 you will find that you have to do a conversion exam for the CPL and CIR. You will have to do a flight test for the CPL and CIR for which you need a CFI's recommendation. See the CPL CAR's and CAO 40.2.1 for the CIR. The CFI will want to fly with you before s/he gives you the recommendation. A school's AOC depends on more than 50% of candidates passing at the first attempt. So they are just protecting their AOC. You will have to do all the training and the test again for the G3. See COA 40.7.1.
I would do the training in your local are with a school that gives you some work after the G3. Remember you need 100 hours of direct supervision and it is far easier to supervise someone who you know and can trust. If what you suggest was such a good idea a lot of people would be doing it. There is also the question. When you have your G3 and want to instruct in Oz would YOU want your students to go to SA to get their licences and ratings?