PDA

View Full Version : Wishing Pielander all the best in the Navy ... give him your advice ...?

airborne_artist
18th Feb 2005, 19:17
Think back to 19.. - you're off to BRNC.

What do wish you'd known then that you know now?

Give Pielander your advice, and cheer him on as he starts on his quest to become one of Aunty Betty's gallant Naval Aviators!

Dancing Bear
19th Feb 2005, 05:46
Initially congratulations to Pielander, Great News.

Have to say the college has changed that much since I was nineteen that I'm not sure what would be relevant, except continue to be yourself and don't listen to all the tosh.

Most of all enjoy it and remember to laugh at the ridiculusness of mopping out a shower with toilet paper so it is bone dry for "Rounds" at 1900 each evening, or have they moved on in this day and age??????????

Good luck!!

DB

Arkroyal
19th Feb 2005, 08:35
I was gusting 26 and had to learn to tie a tie again!

In the first few horrible weeks, just keep telling yourself that you are going to become a pilot with the FAA despite all this cr@p.

I'm sure a few of my ex colleagues who buckled now wish they'd staid the course.

Good luck, and keep off the pies :O

airborne_artist
19th Feb 2005, 09:01
remember to laugh at the ridiculusness of mopping out a shower with toilet paper so it is bone dry for "Rounds"

My dad was also in the Andrew. As a young Lt. he kept a spare, immaculately clean set of Jubilee clips for the heads in his divisional area, just for Captain's rounds ...

And he made Captain himself, so his attention to detail must have been noted.

Gainesy
19th Feb 2005, 09:34
Team up with a few others & share the bull**** tasks according to abilities, eg ace with iron does all shirts/pressing others do all boots/shoes, brasses, windows etc.

Thud Ridge
19th Feb 2005, 10:23
Only a few years since i was there.

Have fun, be yourself, get involved and meet some of the best mates u will ever have.

Remember, you're not a pilot yet. It's amazing how many potential WAFUs pitch up and think they are a garanteed harrier pilot, only to spear-in on grading.

Take the bull**** on the chin, and a good bollocking only hapens if u listen.

Yours Aye

TR

PileUp Officer
19th Feb 2005, 10:25
Quit the RN and join the RAF :p

Sorry, i couldn't help it!

Best of luck Pielander
:ok:

AllTrimDoubt
19th Feb 2005, 10:29
Listen to all the bollockings you will (invariably) get, as well as all the other ways that people will demonstrate of getting the job done. Learn from the best, discard the worst; someday you will be in their position.

Above all, work as a team. And maintain your sense of humour.

airborne_artist
19th Feb 2005, 12:09
And as you're getting the bollocking/re-scrub/extra duties etc. - remember the old Services saying:

"If you can't take a joke you shouldn't have joined"

blagger
19th Feb 2005, 19:52
Pielander,

From another ex-643 the very best of luck!!!

blagger

WE Branch Fanatic
20th Feb 2005, 21:13
Well done - and good luck.
:ok:

Trumpet_trousers
20th Feb 2005, 22:16
Give Pielander your advice

......beware the golden rivet!....:E

Matt Skrossa
21st Feb 2005, 08:45
I covered my cabin walls with pictures of Chipmunks, Bulldogs, Gazelles and as many pics of aircraft the RN were flying at the time. When I got back to my cabin from being shouted at by a toss*r who had be in the RN 6 weeks longer than me, I looked at them and reminded myself that all this bulls*it would soon be over and I'd be off to learn how to be a pilot.

p.s. I had a dream back then that I would dam the River Dart, turn the reclaimed land into and airfield and make all the fisheads, pussers, schoolies, greenies and clankies do compulsory flying at 0600 in the freezing cold. Seems fair as they made me go and learn to drive all sorts of silly boats that I have never ever been in since!

Jucky
21st Feb 2005, 19:10
Make sure you banter crabs and fish heads relentlessly!

Good luck fella!

:ok: FLY NAVY!:ok:

Jucky

Strictly Jungly
21st Feb 2005, 21:14
Enjoy your time at BRNC.

At times...Bite your tongue......always remember there is a great life outside the College....waiting for you.

Keep an open mind.....

Best Wishes for the future!

FORMER PIONEER
22nd Feb 2005, 08:51
I think it's about all been covered. I'd only add :-

1. Remember the light at the end of the tunnel, being on a Front Line Sqn, flying one of her Majesty's aircraft, with a bunch of good mates around you.

2. Keep a sense of humour. Don't take all the niff naff and trivia seriously (but look as though you are taking it seriously to anyone in authority............)

Best of luck,

See you in the Fleet.

FP

Navaleye
22nd Feb 2005, 09:28
Well done mate! Work hard and play hard.

dakotaman
22nd Feb 2005, 21:34
Things you might want to consider:
Learn all the words to Eskimo Nell
Learn to smile when Fisheads call you a WAFU (flying pay...)
Learn a bit about the guys who served ahead of you
Learn to plan ahead ie do not end up as OOD/Sqn DO first night alongside in Ft Lauderdale (or anywhere else if you can avoid it)
Join the FAAOA
Stick with and support members of your Flight

Hope you and your Flight have a great time, and that includes your spell at BRNC.

Bigtop
22nd Feb 2005, 21:49
Pieman - enjoy Dartmouth. There is a certain amount of bull**** but at the end of the day if you can't cut it at BRNC flying training will be a mountainous hurdle.
Work hard, play hard and make sure you're out of your pit before the Div Chief comes round!!
And if you're tempted by a daymans hr make sure its simulated and not actual!

Looking out for you!!!!

Pielander
2nd Mar 2005, 16:04
Thanks chaps. I've read all the replies and I really appreciate the support. Sadly, I can't stay and chat - I've got to go and iron creases in my very very short PT shorts, clean the dust off the soles of my boots and polish a 4.5 inch artillery shell [rolleyes], but hopefully I'll have more time after we pass CSO's rounds a week on Friday.:p

Cheers Shipmates.

Pie

cobaltfrog
2nd Mar 2005, 17:47
Umm, so you are Cunningham! Beware the walls have ears and eyes.

Remember you still need to pass ACE! WELL!!

Good Luck and don't end up in front of me for a bollocking!!

Navaleye
2nd Mar 2005, 18:35
Please keep us posted with your progress, enjoy and learn. Figure out who's doing better than you, watch them and work out why. Lots of advice here - some of it may be useful. :O

Bigtop
2nd Mar 2005, 20:13
Pielander - wise words from the cobaltfrog. Beware of SOBS & SPLOT!! They have a different guise at BRNC but are there nevertheless.

timzsta
2nd Mar 2005, 20:35
Make sure that when you turn up on day one you can pass all the fitness/swimming tests without a problem. Otherwise too much of your precious little spare time gets spent in the gym and start to get behind with kit preparation for rounds etc.

The 1.5 mile fitness course at BRNC has a few steep hills on it, so if your training on the flat you will need to knock about 45-60secs extra time off to compensate.

During the new entry term, especially first six weeks, make sure you get involved with one of the sporting teams - ie football/rugby/hockey - a chance to get of the camp every now and then to play a game and relax a little.

Most importantly - smile through the bulls**t.

Good luck.

bad livin'
2nd Mar 2005, 22:18
Tim, the mile and a half had been replaced by 8.5 laps of the astroturf when i left 2 years ago - I personally preferred the old course...a lot less boring!! Ah...I loved Dartmouth...jumpers for goalposts etc

boswell bear
19th Apr 2005, 17:17
Nice one mate good to see another ex 643 boy gettin on :)

Axel-Flo
20th Apr 2005, 10:46
Pielander,
have a great time let us know what tunes the RM Band are playing to keep your mind off standing still during Divisions...my favorites were "Thunderbirds" and "The Rockford Files" (it was a few years ago mind) When you're in a pickle, don't forget, the Div Chiefs have usually seen/heard it all before and truly are a font of eternal knowledge...but overall enjoy it!

Pile up Officer.

Your banter against the Senior Service from one so junior and in the predicament you claim to be in seems harsh and disingenuious considering on the Agony Aunt column you claim to be locking yoursef away from the world and having a bleat to anyone who's prepared to listen cos you've been chopped and your girlfriends dumped you......"Dry em and have a chat with yourself!:E

airborne_artist
20th Apr 2005, 12:40
Axel - don't think that Pileup had been chopped when he wrote his contribution - he might see things differently now....