PDA

View Full Version : QANTAS Direct Entry Application Question

TurbineDreamer
18th Feb 2005, 11:58
Just wondering what people's opinions are, especially those who have been through the Qantas process before. On the application form it says to send in a copy of the last three pages of your log book. Do you think that even if you meet all requirements both academic wise and the 500 command hours that if those three pages encompass say 5 years, with most of the third page 2005, though the other 2 going back several years (due to a gap in flying) that it would count against you as not being competitive. Or do you think as long as you meet min requirements it doesn't matter that you haven't flown alot in the last few years as long as you are current when applying.

cheers

TD

Capt Fathom
18th Feb 2005, 23:13
TD,
You are reading too much into it! Just supply the information they asked for on the application. If they want more, they will ask!

Capt Stabbin
19th Feb 2005, 00:52
I'm with Fathom. The only people who might know the answers to your questions are the pilot recruitment staff and they aren't about to start replying to PPRuNe!

Just apply and see what happens.

SsaKcaj
19th Feb 2005, 01:27
TD,

They will accept your application as long as you meet the minimums, but that doesn't mean you will get a call up straight away.

From what I understand, they don't just look at your hours when they decide if you will be called up for stage 2. They look at your work history, written references, type of flying, academic history etc. I also don't know many people who are being called up with much less than 1500hrs and some twin or single turbine time (not to say they are not, I just don't know them). For most of guys I know, it seems to be at least 12-24 months after their initial application at 500 command (and this is working flat out). Make sure you update regularly. Are you working in a flying job now?

TurbineDreamer
19th Feb 2005, 08:28
SsaKcaj , check your PM's

A/F Armed
19th Feb 2005, 18:45
As the others said, you may get a letter or a call from them if you have the minimums. But seriously if you have only flown enough hours to fill three pages in the last 5 years then you really are dreaming as your name suggests. Why would anyone want to employ someone as aircrew when they aren't flying fulltime already. You would be wasting both yours and their time by sending the application in. It harsh but based on your previous posts in these forums, a fair call I reckon.
Stick with your day job, and keep your flying as a hobby that you do once every 90 days.