PDA

View Full Version : Running McAfee and Norton Personal Firewall together

whiz
18th Feb 2005, 07:13
Some help required please,

I recently bought a new PC which had Norton Internet Security suite pre-installed, I recently added AOL broadband which came with McAfee. Both programs are installed and appear to be running well together.

Question 1. I know theres no need to be running 2 firewalls so I decided to attempt to un-install the Norton Personal Firewall. The problem is that I cant find the software which is purely concerned with the firewall, all I can find is the symantec folder which contains a lot of the anti-virus software which I dont want to remove. Can I simply remove the firewall without touching anti-virus ? If so how ? :D

Thanks in advance
Whiz

Jhieminga
21st Feb 2005, 11:51
I'm assuming that you are running Windows XP. If so any application should be removed through Start - Settings - Control panel - Add or Remove programs.

Now select the Norton application you wish to remove from the list and click the button at the right (should say something like change/remove). Follow the on-screen instructions.

It sounds as if you are trying to remove the application by deleting it from your harddrive through Explorer. This could cause your Windows to become unstable!! Always remove an application through the control panel!!

If you have Norton Internet Security (NIS) installed, then you will probably see two applications: NIS and NAV (Norton Anti Virus) in the programs list. If this is the case then you should be able to remove NIS, leaving NAV installed. If NAV isn't listed seperately then you can only remove the full NIS suite. You should then install another anti-virus program (doesn't McAfee include this?)

BLUE SKY THINKER
21st Feb 2005, 12:38
.....Can I simply remove the firewall without touching anti-virus ? .....

In a word, as I recall, No.

My experiences relate to NIS2003 about eighteen months ago, but if you have a later version the principle will be similar I'm sure.

You can't uninstall just the firewall or antivirus individually, although I've got a feeling (maybe wrong) that if you uninstall the whole thing you do have the option to install seperately. However, there would seem to be a simpler solution in your case; Disable it.....

Bring up main NIS Window > 'Options' > 'Internet Security' > 'General' (tab) > under 'Start Norton Internet Security' select 'Manual' > OK. (remember: this is the interface on NIS2003; maybe cosmetically different 2004/5).

Effects:
Will not run automatically on StartUp.
Tray icon will indicate 'Disabled' (a cross over the green globe on '03).
Can be 'started'/'stopped' manually from tray icon, or just left 'off'.
NB: To revert to 'Automatic' at any time, reverse process at the top.