PDA

View Full Version : Are CASA always this bad?

BlueRedGreen
17th Feb 2005, 21:32
A friend of mine over from the UK who wants to do some flying here in Oz, has had a frustrating encounter with CASA.

He applied for a 'Special' PPL which allows him to fly in Oz Airspace but under the restrictions of his UK (CAA) license.

CASA issued the Special license with 'SE piston', 'Retractable' and other endorsements taken from my friend's UK license but missed off the 'Multi-engine piston' endorsement.

My friend called CASA and was told that he could pop into the CASA office with his UK license and an additional $80 and get the 'Multi-engine' endorsement added on the spot.

On arriving at CASA and speaking to the head licensing representative, he was told bluntly there was no way they would add the endorsement to his special license. He showed them his CAA license which in addition to the wide-bodied jets he is type-rated for, clearly showed the 'ME piston' endorsement.

They still refused point-blank and no explanation was given as to why they would not add the endorsement.

My friend is here to enjoy the relatively inexpensive twin flying (the price of a Seminole would rent him a 172 or PA-28 in the UK!)and big skies of Oz.

On talking with a flying club, they confirmed that many UK pilots have come over here and flown twins on 'Special' licenses.

Is it usual for CASA to be not only ignorant to their own standard procedures but unhelpful and obstructive too? Why did they say one thing on the phone and then do the opposite?

My friend ended the encounter by tearing up his 'not-so-special' license in front of the CASA representative...

I want to convert my UK license to an Oz PPL - can I expect similar poor service from CASA?

BRG
:confused:

QSK?
17th Feb 2005, 22:56
I would suggest that you friend may have been better served by simply asking to speak with someone in CASA higher up the chain of command who would've had the authority to make the right decision - nstead of tearing up his SPL.

BlueRedGreen
18th Feb 2005, 01:14
Fair point, I added that bit to make light of the frustrating situation.:E

How far up does one have to go to get a very rudimentary task performed correctly in the first place?

BRG

tinpis
18th Feb 2005, 01:48
I wont even start on my experiences with the UK CAA 25 years ago.

DeltaSix
18th Feb 2005, 02:50
BRG,

Not that I'm doubting your friend but there's always 2 sides of a story. I have to admit though that some people are blessed with ineptness when it comes to performing correctly a rudimentary task but, there must have been a deciding factor why they didnt grant him the ME piston.
I find it hard that someone would just say no without a proper explanation. I for one would not take a NO without you telling me WHY. Maybe the person he spoke to on the phone assumed incorrectly that everything was in order when he spoke to him.

Did they say why they wouldnt grant him the priviledge of flying a M.E. ?

I am very curious.

DeltaSix

Lodown
18th Feb 2005, 04:12
Are CASA always this bad?

No! Sometimes they're much worse.

Boom... boom...

Sunfish
18th Feb 2005, 05:16
I can just see it.... I say you colonial chappie, give me a licence will you? As you can see I have one of these... (hands over a superior British licence) now be a good lad and fix this up will you?

What? You won't give me an ME rating??? DO YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO?? I'll speak to the Queen about this you ignorant convict git!

On a serious note,

Actually and with respect to your friend, I wonder if we have both sides of the story exactly right. I wonder if certain folk at CASA can comment?

Icarus2001
18th Feb 2005, 05:31
Yes. I would like to hear the other side.

As a rule the CASA people I deal with every day try their best. It is CASA as an organisation that fails to achieve, although things are looking up.

What if this pilot had a multi endorsement on a type not on the Australian register?

In fact does the UK have a generic M//E endorsement? If so then there is the problem as the CASA system is type specific. Without a specific aircraft endorsement CASA cannot add one to a FCL.

The US system is also generic eg land/multi sea/multi etc.

Tearing up his SPL does betray a certain "attitude". Not really helpful is it?

BlueRedGreen
18th Feb 2005, 12:42
On checking with the local flying club, there was no reason the ME endorsement should have been refused. The club were good enough to make enquiries with CASA after the encounter and it transpired there was no discernible reason for the rejection. Hopefully the problem will be rectified by a return to CASA and a smile.:ok:

It was not the mistake that caused the concern but the apparent reluctance of the CASA representative to explain the reason for the refusal of the ME endorsement.

My friend has come over here to enjoy the awsome flying that Oz has to offer (huge airspace, reasonably priced flying and friendly flying clubs) but is prevented from benefitting from that by a brick wall of incorrectly applied bureaucracy.

I do not want to agrivate anyone, I just want to know if this is the norm for dealings with CASA as I will need to use their services soon for myself.

BRG

Woomera
18th Feb 2005, 13:08
BlueRedGreen

This thread is sounding more like a Dorothy Dixer every post.

Hopefully the problem will be rectified by a return to CASA and a smile. will certainly produce a smile in return and, if it is possible, a swift resolution.

I do not want to agrivate (sic) anyone, I just want (ed ?) to know if this is the norm for dealings with CASA as I will need to use their services soon for myself.

I think you have your answer here, no?

If you go in loaded for bear then it probably will be no, at least maybe until they make you jump through some hoops first.

Try some simple research, it took me 30 secs to go to the CASA site, type "Special License" in their search window and presto.

Special Licenses (http://www.casa.gov.au/manuals/regulate/fcl/010r0501.pdf)

Every thing you want to know about CASA Manuals and Procedures but were afraid to ask..:ok:

I'll leave the rest up to you.

And that should be the end of it