PDA

View Full Version : Top Heavy?

metalthrower
17th Feb 2005, 21:28
Checked some stats the other day. The RAF has 53% less corporals than were employed in 1990 but only 4% less wg cdrs. When you consider that the Army focus and rely heavily on the leadership of JNCOs is the RAF going in the right direction? I know the perception that the RAF 'sends its officers to war' but times have changed. Yes the flying still takes pride of place but the span of responsibilty expected of RAF NCOs is very real. Do the junior guys have enough experience to lead a convoy in dusty places for example or has the RAF become too top heavy?

Wappy Tupper
17th Feb 2005, 21:39
Sorry mate, you'll have to try harder for your scoop this week!

metalthrower
17th Feb 2005, 21:51
Sorry dude not a journo - fraid my writnig skllis are courtesy of good old ISS! What I was trying to get at was...we train offrs for war because of the fg task - do we do enough for the other ranks or expect too much of them?

Pass-A-Frozo
18th Feb 2005, 05:28
That's not too bad. I believe I heard that the RAAF is 280% over manned in WGCDR Nav's. :8

The Swinging Monkey
18th Feb 2005, 06:47
Wappy,

You obviously hail from that well-known Punjabi 'Tupper' family..

I remember your dear Mother and Father 'Rami' and 'Slidie' together with your uncle,'Chuckie'

Kind regards
TSM
ps how is your errant brother 'easie' ??

Red Line Entry
22nd Feb 2005, 19:23
The stats are not as straight forward as they seem. Back in the late 80's and early 90's we were suffering from the after effects of guaranteed time promotion to cpl. On my sqn at the time we were sending out 3 man HAS teams consisting entirely of cpls!!

At least these days cpls can actually have the supervisory role they were meant to have !

insty66
22nd Feb 2005, 23:58
RLE
True but you'd not deny that there might just be scope for a little pruning at the higher levels?
Check out Lean for job creation schemes for Officers and less jobs for the rest.

:yuk: :yuk: