PDA

View Full Version : Whats the next step to becoming a commercial pilot after completing your PPL?

davewhiteside
16th Feb 2005, 22:02
Hi,
This is my 1st post on this website. I am 22years old and I am currently working towards my JAR PPL (A). I have done about 30hrs and about to go 1st solo once I have completed my Air Law exam. What I am wanting to find out is what my next options are to me. I fist took up flying as a hobbie but have grown to love it and want to make a career out of it. I am wanting to become a proffesional pilot and I would like to know what my next steps should be. I have been told that after completing my PPL I should get my night rating or multi engine rating before doing anything else and build my hours up to 100. But others have said I can go straight from my PPL into Commercial flight training. To be honest, I am not sure what my options are. I have looked up info on the commercial licence and found out you can do it modular or intergrated, but thats all I know. I was wondering if anyone could steer me in the right direction.
Thanks very much
Dave:)

Charlie Zulu
17th Feb 2005, 05:47
Hi Dave,

This aviation lark is very adictive, isn't it?

Anyway the first step is to complete your JAA PPL(A) and thereafter to actually enjoy the privilage of being able to take your friends and family flying.

Obtain the Night Qualification at the same time as your JAA PPL(A) (can be combined). If you did wish to add a JAA Multi Rating to your JAA PPL(A) then you require 70 of P1 time (NOT total time) before you can apply for the rating.

This will all count towards the 150 hours total flying time (including 100 hours minimum P1) that you required to start your commercial flying training - JAA CPL(A) - so use the flight time wisely.

During this time you can also study for your JAA ATPL Written Examinations, of which there are 14 subjects. These can be taken on a full time residential school basis (6 months) or via the distance learning method which takes approximately 12 months if you're going to be working at the same time. The distance learning aspect is not much different to that of the Open University.

Once you have passed all of those 14 JAA ATPL exams and you have the pre-requisite 150 hours (100 P1) flying time in you log book you can then train for the JAA CPL(A) skills test.

If you have not already done so obtain the JAA Multi Rating. This can be done at the same time as the JAA CPL(A) course. Around a 25 hour course.

Once this is over and done with you'll be then ready to do the JAA IR. A 50 hour course.

Once all of this is finished you'll end up with a JAA CPL/IR with ATPL Knowledge Exams Passed. This is otherwise known as a "Frozen" ATPL. It is "Frozen" because you have yet to obtain the 1500 hours total time including 500 hours multi crew for the full ATPL to be issued.

Don't worry you don't need a full ATPL to get a job... the JAA CPL/IR with ATPL Knowledge will do.

Another thing will be the MCC course that many employers will expect you to have done before employing you.

All the best.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Mobieus1
17th Feb 2005, 08:53
Get a Class 1 Medical from Gatwick before you think of forking out loads of money for ground studies etc. Unless you have got one already....

Divet II
17th Feb 2005, 10:01
Dave, check your private messages

davewhiteside
17th Feb 2005, 11:43
Thanks very much for all of your advise, it has been really helpful!
Very greatful.
I have not yet got my Class1 medical as still working towards my PPL and was advised to wait till after completing my PPL. I did ask the doc who issued me my class 2 if i would have any problems with my gaining a class1, and going off my class2 results he didnt think i would have a problem

booke23
17th Feb 2005, 20:26
I'd get the Class 1 medical ASAP..........alot of perfectly fit guys on this forum (including myself) have been throught the mill with the medical. Some have not been so lucky as me.

I now have a Class 1 medical, but I failed it back in 2000 when I had 100 hrs, and was thinking of starting my ground studies.

It took 4 years, and a change in the rules before I was finally issued with the medical.

B2N2
19th Feb 2005, 12:23
Modular or integrated, either way you are ending up with paying a lot of money for your flight time.
It is definitely worth considering time building somewhere cheaper, eg USA or Canada.
No visa and no TSA back ground check required for time building.
Great experience also by the way...:ok:

birdlady
19th Feb 2005, 19:32
Hi Dave

I have to agree with time building elsewhere. The states is a good option but maybe also consider south africa. Ive done my PPL here and some of my hour building and am in the process of getting my SA CPL (im originally irish but have been living in sa for the past 7 years). The training here is great, its cheap and weather is good most of the time (do get nasty cross winds and those thunderstorms are a b***h). You can rent a C172 for roughly 50 pounds per hour solo. If your interested in flying in SA and need more info check out this website. www.avcom.co.za or just pm me.

Good luck and happy landings :ok: :ok:

FlyingForFun
20th Feb 2005, 17:28
Dave,

Assuming you are who I think you are, the first step is to get your Air Law - something which I've been telling you to do since we first flew together and your flying was pretty much up to solo standard, and that was over 6 months ago. Worry about everything else once you've got that sorted!!!

As for after the PPL, everything you've read here is good advice. Feel free to talk to me for more advice. The best thing to do is to come into the school on bad-weather days. You can study for Air Law, ask me and the other instructors for help if necessary, and also talk to us for advice on getting the CPL. When the weather is good, we probably don't have enough time to spend with you after your flight, so bad-weather days are better - rather than just phoning up and deciding not to come in as soon as we say the weather's not good enough for flying, as you do at the moment.

All meant in the friendliest manner, of course..... :ok:

FFF
----------

PS If you're not who I think you are, apologies for ribbing you about not getting the Air Law done. And if you don't know who I am, drop me a PM

Charlie Zulu
20th Feb 2005, 19:10
FlyingForFun, if he is your student then I really do hope he doesn't try to find out who you are via PM. ;)

Please get your Air Law done... no excuses now and think of the great privilage of going solo after the exam is passed!!!