PDA

View Full Version : PAR 61 vs PAR 141

benjaminfitzgerald
16th Feb 2005, 15:56
Hi there,
I'm going to go to Naples for my JAA ppl and have been instructed to apply for the FAA PAR 61 converting to the JAA while still out there . I understand that doing the FAA first will mean I get to keep that rating independant of the JAA but I was worried that I should be doing the FAA PAR 141 as it is supposed to be geared more towards an actual aviation career (which is what I want). Am I worrying over nothing as my JAA conversion will take me to the necessary level anyway? Sorry if it's a vague and/or stupid question but I'm trying to keep the amount of mistakes I'm obviously going to make down to a minimum.
Thanks in advance
Ben

fescalised portion
16th Feb 2005, 23:22
The difference between Part 61 and 141 is that the 141 is a more structured course that includes more ground school and 3 flight orientated stage checks, usually by the chief or assistant chief flight instructor. Because of this, you are allowed to sit the final check ride with the D.P.E. or FAA examiner with only 35 hours. Whereas I believe the Part 61 requires a minimum of 45 hours.

I did a Part 141 course with no previous experience and it took me 55 hours. The average time is between 50 to 70 hours. I think you would have to someone pretty special to do it in 35 hrs.

Tinstaafl
16th Feb 2005, 23:55
There's no difference to the licence you'll hold no matter which way you do it, other than a reduction in required hours for the Part141 school. The trade off is less flexibility in what & how it is taught. No different to JAR integrated vs. non-integrated courses.

Either method can be focused towards a particular potential employment market.