PDA

View Full Version : IR Preperation

yorky drifter
15th Feb 2005, 15:39
Hi Guys,
Just wondered if anybody can suggest any informative reading that may help to prepare for JAR IR? I start in a few weeks and want to try and get ahead of the game a little.

Cheers
PP

superstall
15th Feb 2005, 16:19
read the a/c checklist until you're sick of it, aerads too.

VFE
15th Feb 2005, 16:21
Learn the area where you'll be doing the test. Memorise the different ATC units you could be passed through, the airways, the limiting altitudes, the radials of the airways, the terrain.... everything you might possibly have to cope with on your test day. The FTO will know the usual routes and possible trip-up points so I wouldn't fret too much right now.

However, I have pasted a reply I made to a similar question last year as it might give you *some* idea about what to do when preparing for your instrument rating test:

Make sure you thoroughly understand and complete the flight plan form along with the performance data including the required factors. Any errors could at best create a bad impression before you get airbourne and at worse, result in a failure of the departure phase. This could mean you're sitting on a partial before you even start the engines!

Flight plans are something that should be tested more during the ATPL's. Incorrect filing of a flight plan will result in rejection at Brussels which subsequently means hassle for NATS and yourself. Examiners know this and will expect to see the correct format and correct code letters. Know your ZPZX's from your ZTZX's and so on.

Also, make sure the aircraft is up to scratch. This may sound pretty incredible but the aircraft I took my test in had quite a few instrumentation faults. Being the FTO's only test aircraft I was placed in a tight corner. The fact I knew about them was not really the point because knowing about them meant they should've been seen to before the test day. This got my examiners back up - not neccesarily at me personally but towards my FTO - whichever way you look at it, not a good start! Although not strictly no-go faults (and I was happy to fly with them although the RPM reading error during power check did force me to explain to my examiner that if it was a commercial flight with me as PIC I'd pull the plug) they did however make certain aspects of the flight more difficult.

It is your ship, your flight and your money. Do not accept ****e aeroplanes and if you're at all unhappy then postpone until another day. Leave yourself plenty of time on test day to obtain weather, NOTAMS, and make sure you thoroughly check your aircraft and equipment, if possible, the day before as well as on the actual test day. Do not accept anyones word that something is golden and satisfy yourself completely that things are okay.

Some students tend to shy away from adverse weather conditions on test day which can annoy examiners who're ready and willing to fly. You will probably hear conflicting opinions on this one but my view is that unless there's embedded CB's enroute or x-winds on limits then go for it. If you start to get thrown around like a rag doll you're examiner will make allowances on the test parameters and will also respect you for having the nerve to attempt the test.

Lastly, should there simply be CB's forecast, make sure you confirm with your examiner that you're happy to fly as long as he's happy to give you avoidance headings for any build ups.

VFE.

QNH 1013
17th Feb 2005, 09:14
I agree with the above posts, but an important point is to make sure that the checklist you study is the actual one that the organisation will be using for the test. This has to be approved by the CAA (two copies required in the aircraft for the test) and may differ slightly from any other version you get hold of. You don't want to have any confusion in your mind.

Good Luck !