PDA

View Full Version : AIR NEW ZEALAND hiring?

AfricanSkies
15th Feb 2005, 12:00
How many people on the waiting list at Air NZ these days? What sort of experience do they like you to have? Hours, types, etc? And are they actively hiring at the moment? What is the normal route to getting into Air NZ? Which feeder unit would be the best to join to get into Air NZ? TIA

Kanger
15th Feb 2005, 15:30
In addition does anybody know what the wait list is like in terms of months/years
for 'suitably' qualified pilots applicants?

Thanks
Kanger

justathought
15th Feb 2005, 17:57
Probably an average of about 2500hrs total with 1000 on a regional TP to get in as SO. Unless you are an FO on 73's for FRESH then you can get a direct entry command based in London.

flying ginge
15th Feb 2005, 20:30
not forgetting to mention mixed up in a wild love triangle

Plas Teek
16th Feb 2005, 01:01
AfricanSkies
I seem to remember a post in the African section about 12 months ago advising of Air NZ's requirements and that the'd be hiring.
But the poster got Poo Poo'ed!! Who would want to go there etc, etc...

Anyway. If you've got a degree you'll be fine, if not, well, get one.

As much multi as possible, pref turbine, ATPL (although this hasn't stopped a few getting in) age dependant (although they won't say that either).

They have recently accepted a few with less than 6 months (350 hrs) on Turbo Props......

I'd suggest emailing them at: [email protected]

Gossip has it that they're looking for 180 over the next 18 months.

You can also go straight onto the 737 as a F/O (unless you're from Fresh)

Thump & Go
16th Feb 2005, 08:38
AfricanSkies I wouldn't sweat the degree right now.

ZK-NSN
16th Feb 2005, 17:05
You have to love that programme. I hope you boys will make him welcome, I bet ALPA are'nt to happy.

Dixons Cider
16th Feb 2005, 17:24
What are you boys on about, who the hell is Fresh??

nzmarty
17th Feb 2005, 05:55
the have the hottest hosties around....

justathought
17th Feb 2005, 22:46
I heard that Janice is joining up as well and planning to provide some "extra service" on long haul.....thats just a rumour though.

AfricanSkies
19th Feb 2005, 09:25
Thanks for the replies; I hear they may be getting 7E7's, whats the timetable for that, anyone? and where can I find out most about the airline (apart from their website) ? :ok:

Thump & Go
19th Feb 2005, 19:46
2 787's arriving around 2008 I think, 8 777-200ER's start arriving in September this year.
Other than the website - Pass!!

iceblock
21st Feb 2005, 04:26
I believe your application is graded against how many criteria you meet or exceed. i.e: Total time, turbine, degree, ATPL etc..

Therefore it is nor a prerequisite to have a degree but if you have one and the next bloke doesn't you will have more chance of being offered an interview, in otherwords have all or at least more of the boxes ticked than your competition.

Although there is a minimum total time required as per the website and turbine is not technically required, having more total time and turbine will mean you meet more criteria that will give your application a better "score"

DeltaT
5th Mar 2005, 22:05
Whats this bollocks stuff about Fresh, having a degree, and low hrs for Air NZ?

AfricanSkies
20th Mar 2005, 15:35
I have heard that recruitment is slowing down a bit at Air NZ, anyone know if this means they have stopped recruiting altogether or are they taking fewer guys?

piontyendforward
20th Mar 2005, 21:48
From a mate who works in training.

Yes they are slowing as they are approaching the numbers required. Almost at the 2/3's of "planned" new hire's for 05/06. Most training is now internal transfers, with 767 fleet planned to reduce as the 777 is introduced.

However from my limited experiences in this industry change happens almost at the speed of light, and it could all change to a downturn tomorrow, or a hiring boom the day after. Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer chances, just as in real life outside aviation.

A degree is not required but preferred. The age thing that Plas Teek mentioned is total crap, as there has been ages from 25 to 50 plus taken on in the last 6 months.

Iceblock has it sorted out, just about bang on how it all works.

DeltaT
3rd Apr 2005, 20:04
People are only being looked at with min 2500hrs for Air NZ mainline.
Freedom has now met its hiring requirement for the 737 before going all A320, despite actually being short of pilots.
And also have a fair few in a hold pool I understand.
Due to A320 paying more than 737 fo, Air NZ 737 fo will more than likely bid for Freedom A320 positions, hence future hiring for Freedom is more than likely to be at a slow trickle for some time as all the Freedom 737 pilots are also retrained for the A320!

iflyplanes
9th Apr 2005, 22:22
Even worse is there is a hot rumour going around that if you are a mil guy things might not seem as rosy at it once was.

There is talk, and even an admission, by the man him self that the CAF has had informal talks with the recruitment chief and the slow down of poaching from the RNZAF is being informally instigated...

Besides being illegal................

AfricanSkies
26th Aug 2005, 16:32
Any updates to the situation? How many of the 40 new guys have they got?

I've been applying to some others, but I was wondering. I have a NZ work permit, but only an ICAO (South African) ATPL. To get the NZ ATPL doesn't seem like much sweat, the exam and the flight test. But will the NZ companies bin my application unless I have the NZ licence??

CT7
3rd Sep 2005, 00:55
piontyendforward, It's not crap!
They are hireing mostly younger pers at the moment to stop a large amount of higher age pers retiring all at once. Yes there have been a FEW older people but mainly younger taken on.

Still about 60 to be employed in 2006! And at least 15 yet to be taken on this year.

On the aircraft front, the 787's are arriving a bit sooner thanks to ANA, and it will be 4 not the initial 2 that was publicised.

Expect the 737's to go in about 3-4 years and be replaced with A319's and don't expect to be flying for Air NZ on them, but some sort of low cost carrier. But I hope not.

A few mil guys have been given start dates on the 777 as S/O's so I don't think it's too much of a problem. Just blame Helen if it is.