PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard set-up

Kolibear
15th Feb 2005, 11:57
I've just bought a new laptop and had to set it up more or less from scratch.

During the intital switch-on, the system asked me to chose a keyboard from a list about a 100 pages long! :uhoh: :confused:

It suggested that I should use the option 'US' so I scrolled down, past UK', 'US international' and clicked on 'US' , working on the principle that it knew what it needed.

Now I'm using it, I've found that 'US' was not the correct option, various key functions are swapped over and some are just missing.

So, any ideas how I can change the keyboard settings? I've found a window which allows me to change the drivers, by going back to Microsoft I assume, but I don't know if this is the solution. Its an Advent laptop with Windows XP Home.

Thanks

rotorcraig
15th Feb 2005, 15:39
You should be able to fix this by going to "Start -> Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options".

There are two drop down lists on the "Regional Options" tab, mine are set to "English (United Kingdom)" and "United Kingdom".

Next, you need to go to "Languages" tab and press the "Details" button. Again, I have just "English (United Kingdom)" and "United Kingdom" installed.

RC

Kolibear
16th Feb 2005, 19:30
RC,

Thanks for the advice, I found the options, changed them as you suggested, restarted the computer and I'm back in the UK!! :O :O

Thanks, K

Gainesy
22nd Aug 2006, 11:51
Thanks guys, sorted. Though both keyboard and regional panels had English UK selected there was a third page in the regional options that had US selected when a "details" button was pressed. This was for text input or something So £ is @ home again.