PDA

View Full Version : annoying pop up

tony draper
15th Feb 2005, 09:32
Picked up one of those annoying windows that keeps opening and telling me "Your Computer May Be Infected" blah!blah!blah!ect ect download this .
I ran Adaware, crapcleaner and CWshredder, closed down ,rebooted and logged on to prunne,and up the bugger pops again, so unless one caught this again off Pprune or one's ISP the swine is hiding somewhere on me Hdisk,any idea's where?, its not a big problem I just click on close and off it goes ready to pop up all over again,but it is bloody annoying.
:suspect:

Kaptin M
15th Feb 2005, 10:30
Why are you complaining about it popping up?? Ooopps, hang on, thi isn't Jet Blast :eek:
What are YOU doing here, Mr D? :confused:

Anyway, are you running Windows XP?
Have you downloaded Service Pack 2...if you can't do it via the Internet, send away for your FREE CD rom version.

SP2 contains a pop-up blocker - but so should some of that other crapware that you've downloaded.

To check and see if you already have it, click on "Tools"..."Internet Options", then "Privacy" and look at the bottom of that box.

If you don't , click on "Programmes", then select one of those programmes that you've downloaded and go through their options.
You've probably got a pop-up blocker somewhere - it's just a matter of finding out where.

Stay away from those triple x sites - that's usually where you pick these sorts of things up from - entering unprotected!!

Biggles Flies Undone
15th Feb 2005, 11:09
Get yerself Mozilla Firefox instead of IE, Drapes. Way better at popstopping.

Bre901
15th Feb 2005, 12:53
Opera (http://www.opera.com) has even better popup control (but the the free version comes along with not-very-invasive ads)

tony draper
15th Feb 2005, 13:18
Sorry chaps, should have said, one is running win98, done a bit more research,adaware reports 2 regkeys that should not be there,as does spybot, both report removing same, but this they do not do, both keys remain in the registry after running both utilities, have tracked them down to the Hikey current user thingy in the registry, but one is a little reluctant to delete stuff from there unless one is 200% certain of what they are.
:(

Devlin Carnet
15th Feb 2005, 14:38
Have you run the updates, for the newest definition files?
..Also have you run a HJT log, It may show on there.

Stoney X
15th Feb 2005, 14:41
Drapes, I'm 50% certain that deleting the reg entries is the correct thing. If another three people give 50% you'll be alright :O

Regards
Stoney

G7SWZ
15th Feb 2005, 16:00
If you are running Spy-Bot Teatimer it will prevent you deleting the two registry keys which are causing the problem.

I had exactly the same difficulty myself a couple of weeks ago.

The way round it is to uninstall Spy-Bot.

Then delete the registry keys using either Ad-Aware or the new Microsoft Spyware program (or if you are brave enough edit the registry itself using regedit).

After that you can reinstall Spy-Bot and everything should work OK.

G7SWZ

Mac the Knife
15th Feb 2005, 17:42
G7SWZ there's no need to uninstall and reinstall Spybot.

Just go into Advanced mode/Tools/Startup and uncheck the entry for Teatimer.

Once you have deleted the registry keys you should re-enable Teatimer.

There's a nice guide and explanation at http://russelltexas.com/malware/teatimer.htm

tony draper
17th Feb 2005, 08:35
Sorry for the delay in getting back peeps but here goes,deleted all my blocking stuff, spybot adaware ect,downloaded and reinstalled adaware and ran same, it found a lot of coolware stuff, so CwShredder is obviously not working anymore,because I ran it quite often, now the problem is I cannot find a uninstal for CwShredder, or find where it is hiding, it is not in my program files or anywhere on my C:drive, the only thing I appear to be able to do is delete he CWshredder desktop icon?
The other puzzle is when adaware is run and all the item it finds selected for deletion ,it does not appear to be actually deleting them, ie if I run adaware again after deleting all the Regkeys,files ect it has found a lot of them are still there??.
The machine is more or less back up to speed but I am thinking of formating the disk and doing a clean install.
The other thing I was thinking does having both spybot and adaware running on the machine, stop them from doing what they are supposed to do?
Thhanks peeps
:confused:

Gainesy
17th Feb 2005, 08:58
Drapes,
When I boot up Spybot, it flashes the following warning re adaware:

You have AdAware installed.
If you have the AdAware option to scan inside archives enabled, AdAware may find files in the Spybot-S&D folder. Spybot-S&D does not contain any spyware, but it creates backups of everything you fix (until you remove those backups from the Recovery list), and AdAware complains about these backups. You can safely ignore these backups found by AdAware

Dunno if that helps at all.

Devlin Carnet
17th Feb 2005, 09:46
My coolweb shredder resides at c:\program files\intermute
Dunno if that helps at all.

tony draper
18th Feb 2005, 09:56
Another update,one has given up the struggle and dowloaded OPERA, seems to run about twice as fast,couple of probs with it, there does not seem to be a refresh button,which I use a lot on ebay, and the window is smaller, if I run full screen the image on me monitor is shifted to the right and I cannot see or use the scroll bar, more a prob with me graphics card I think.
From what I can see adaware spybot zone alarm don't do what it says it do ,had me tearing what I have left of me hair yesterday.
Run adaware, finds 12 regkeys,highlight to delete,delete same ,shut down machine,boot up,run adaware again ,all deleted bar one,which refuses to be deleted, re run adaware again another 7 regkeys have appeared from nowhere,one has not been comnnected to the internet, repeat ad infinitum. bugger it.
:(
PS Is there anyway I can move my favourites folder from my old browser to OPERA, lossa good URLs in there I don't wanna lose?
:rolleyes:

Gouabafla
18th Feb 2005, 13:09
Dr Draper, I can't help with migrating your favourites into Opera, but if you have a go with Firefox it will bring your favourites over the first time you run it.

Firefox also doesn't have the annoying adverts that sit in the top with Opera and it does have a reload butten (though I'm sure Opera has one too). The other good thing about Firefox is all of the add in tools (extensions) that come with it. I've got a nice little icon that tells me the weather forcast for Southampton permenantly at the bottom of my screen - doesn't take up any space but comes in very handy.

Re Adaware and such, I posted a report from windowssecrets.com on another thread around here. It says that most Spyware misses a lot of what it should pick up. If you are interested here is the URL http://www.windowssecrets.com/050127/

tony draper
18th Feb 2005, 15:45
Will try that Mr G, came to that conclusion meself, these spyware stoppers let stuff through, going to delete them all, I still have zone alarm, I think I berra keep that one although it also seems to let quite a bit of stuff through.
Thanks for the help peeps.
:rolleyes:

The Invisible Cat
18th Feb 2005, 20:28
Is there anyway I can move my favourites folder from my old browser to OPERA
Version 7:
File/Import/Internet Explorer Favourites