PDA

View Full Version : Staff Travel for the Airlines

AllInGoodTime
15th Feb 2005, 07:25
As non-airline person, I am curious to know do you all, being employees of a particular airline get cheap staff travel with your airline eg QF, Virgin, Qlink, Rex etc.
Is it cheap and can you get a seat whenever you want? Are you limited to how many trips you can have a year, or is it as many as you want?

Cheers

AllInGoodTime

Eastwest Loco
15th Feb 2005, 07:32
AllIn - If the airline employees and travel agents of the world all agree, we will tell all.

But then we would have to kill you.:sad: :sad:

I smell Journo.

Call the Flick Man.:yuk:

Best most

EWL

Ultralights
15th Feb 2005, 08:13
staff travel fares are based on the Maximum fare for the flight you want, and more often than not, the LCC fares will be cheaper!

can you get a seat whenever you want? HAHAHAHAHAHAH yeah! that would be nice!

AllInGoodTime
15th Feb 2005, 08:39
Thanks for some replies, I can assure you I am no Journo. Just a CPL looking in from the outside and wanted to know what some of the travel perks were like.

cheers

Ultralights
15th Feb 2005, 09:04
if your a cpl, the stravel perks arnt that great, most of the time staff travel tickets are stand by, and there have been a lot of times when the plane is boarded, there are 10 staffies or more waiting, and only 5 empty seats! great fun if it was the last flight of the evening. getting a staff travel seat out of LHR is next to impossible,( i give myself 3 days of sleeping at LHR waiting to get on, then prey you dont get offloaded on a stopover)

the costs arnt much different from most discount fares domestically unless you pay for the business class upgrade.

to book your tickets is a MINIMUM 2 hrs hold on the phone! (unless you have access to the internal internet site)

Eastwest Loco
15th Feb 2005, 09:20
My apologies then AllIn. It gets a bit blurry in here sometimes.

Now the answer requested.

Sometimes on International, I buy AD75 tickets, but generally opt for J class. The fare type you can buy is generally much higher than the cheapest business, but at the discount is reasonable. There a heaps of blackout periods when you canot do this. Large butt requires large seat.

Domestically, I without fail buy published fares, as you at least know you are going to get there and if you are bumped for weight and balance problems that you will be accommodated.

In the East West Airlines days, we had one positive space trip anywhere in the network FOC once a year for self, spouse and dependant kids. Also one subload, and later $5.00 processing fee per sector on any travel subload.

Those days are long gone.

Best regards

EWL

Metro man
15th Feb 2005, 22:28
Going back 10 years or so it was a fantastic perk of the job, all your friends were envious of your ability to visit exotic destinations that they could never afford to see. Now anyone on the dole can afford to fly it's so cheap.

These days however, while still worthwile it is not the cost saving it used to be. Look at your $69 confirmed BNE - SYD tickets, I doubt staff travel will do any better. On long haul eg. SYD - LHR the savings are worthwhile but an apex $1800 ticket is still within most peoples reach, and it's confirmed. You only need a couple of nights hotel etc in a foreign country if unable to get on , to negate any savings you may have made.

Of course for senior staff flying on confirmed business or first class tickets it's a different matter ;)

swh
16th Feb 2005, 00:10
QF staff travel is a very profitable business in QF. They have been making good profits as a business unit ever since they went to e-ticketing and online bookings.

:cool: