PDA

View Full Version : My US embassy visit....

Farrell
14th Feb 2005, 15:13
Well folks, have just arrived back from the embassy in Paris where I went for my M1 visa.

Got up at 04h00 this morning to catch the 05h30 TGV which was due to arrive into Paris at 07h30. My interview was at 09h30 but I wanted to make sure that there was no problems with delayed trains.

Sure enough, snow on the tracks, so delayed for an hour but still time to have a coffee.

I brought bundles of forms with me, letters of money in my account, letter from the boss, I-20, photos etc.

Arrived at the embassy at 09h25 as instructed (they tell you to arrive 5 minutes before), and went through the security at the gate. Standard stuff. You are not allowed to bring your mobile phone inside - they also took my calculator and I was studying on the train so the aircraft manuals got a going through when they searched my bag.

By the way, the guy at the gate outside checks to see that you have paid the SEVIS fee and that you have the correct photo (5cm x 5cm) - if you don't have the fee, you can't get in, but there is a photo machine there (just don't rely on it to be working!)

Everything is incredibly well organised. You start by meeting a guy at the first desk and he checks your forms quickly, and then you go to another desk where you are issued with a number and they take your I-20 and passport. It doesn't matter whether you have a French passport or not - they can process your visa if you have what they require of you.

Then after a little wait, you go to a new desk and they take a scan of your fingerprints. Left and right index fingers (if you have them!)

Then, after another few minutes, you get called to another booth and this is where the immigration inspector is. He was very polite. Asked questions that were no different than what I have been asked by inspectors of other countries in the past. Gave him a letter from my boss to say that I was coming back to work, copies of my flights and itinerary and a photocopy of my credit card and bank balance. I also gave him a DHL type envelope (Chronopost in France). He then looked at his screen, smiled and said "The visa is granted!" and wished me a pleasant journey!

My passport, complete with my M-1 visa inside, will be sent to me in two days!

Your little ticket tells to what your estimated waiting time will be. It said 1 hour and 29 mins.......I was out in 1 hour and 20!

All in all; a nice experience.
:ok:

BigGrecian
14th Feb 2005, 17:45
Nothing like London then.
You queue outside round the bulding in most cases. If you don't have your letter you don't get in.

You get inside they issue you a number take anotehr £10 off you, you sit waiting to hand your forms in, they take your forms. You sit again, waiting till you get called to an interview window. They ask you a few questions and hopefully let you know the outcome and send the Visa in the post. (Yes, they checked the SEVIS fee.)

Average time : 4 hours - I was lucky and got in and out in 1 1/2 hours.

Charlie Zulu
14th Feb 2005, 17:50
Wow what a ray of sunshine the US Embassy in France seems to be.

As was said above, the US Embassy in London is totally different. I'm taking my brolly with me in April just in case it starts raining whilst I'm waiting outside for an hour and half. Then I'm going to have a good book (or even an ATPL manual) to read whilst waiting for the minute interview. Another 4 hour visit to the embassy I fear. :{

Good to know its not just Britain that suffer from train problems... :D

Farrell
15th Feb 2005, 08:37
And to add a further ray of sunshine. My visa arrived this morning (a day early!) Great!

Now, off to get a train ticket to Paris for FAA medical tomorrow ni Le Bourget!

See you!

Send Clowns
15th Feb 2005, 11:04
Well a friend of mine did the same in Oslo, while I took a walk in the area (it is near the palace of the King, so quite attractive). He beat me back to the car, he was such an unexpectedly short time - must have been about 40 minutes.

Chrisdahut1
15th Feb 2005, 14:54
Wow, you guys haven't seen anything until you attempt to get even a U.S. visa in Brazil.

Spend 5 hours lined up outside the US Chamber of Commerce building to obtain a piece of paper that will tell you the date you can line up at the consulate! Thats right...you must stand in one 5 hour line before you can stand in another! Fortunetly I was not selected to be interviewed...otherwise I would have been there all afternoon as well.