PDA

View Full Version : Jobs in Darwin

thinking pilot
12th Feb 2005, 22:05
Hardy Aviation has just advertised in Saturdays NT news, is this a sign of the times or just a one off.

I'll give a few details of the add.

Pilot's wanted to fly 206 210, MECIR, one year wet season time, 1000hr total time, Baron endorsement.

Apply in writing.

justathought
12th Feb 2005, 22:10
Hardy's is a good outfit I reckon but if you have the quals to get that job then you have the quals to get a turbo prop job....if you want to leave the paradise that is Darwin of course. Just get on the net and look around.

tinpis
12th Feb 2005, 22:47
And polish the Boxsta....:D

bushy
12th Feb 2005, 23:34
A turbine job with 1000 hours and less than one year of commercial experience? Not with a good operator.

tinpis
13th Feb 2005, 02:50
Doesnt seem to be a stampede of folks leaving air north?

Jawz
13th Feb 2005, 07:35
Jawz,

SWH is correct. Your post was inappropriate. :(

swh
13th Feb 2005, 10:50
Jawz,

No need for that post at all, totally inappropiate.

:uhoh:

Continental-520
13th Feb 2005, 11:43
They're especially picky about that wet season requirement, too. It MUST be in Darwin, nowhere else like North QLD or WA.

How are you supposed to get that? Another catch 22...

If you'd flown C206/210 around Darwin for a year, would you really want to get a job doing the same for another 6 months or so or would it be better to stay with the current operator and progress to twins....assuming it was a decent operator, of course.

justathought
14th Feb 2005, 01:10
With very good operators bushy, just not as PIC thats all, like I said, not in Darwin either....or Alice.:ok:

slice
14th Feb 2005, 02:22
justathought - what to your mind defines a good operator ?!?!?!

:confused:

I have an different opinion but what do you base yours on ?

Supercala
14th Feb 2005, 02:34
Justathought,

Can you tell me where on the net, I have done alot of looking for a turbine job and i havent come across any without the need to do an apprenticeship in pistons first.

tinpis
14th Feb 2005, 03:57
We need about 4000 chippys an plumbers etc. up here even gettin desperate and advertising in New Zealand and (gak) Queensland
No more bloody lawyers please.
Anyone who is handy at kitchen and bathroom renovatin please feel free to PM me for an immediate start.

:rolleyes:

vh-oja
14th Feb 2005, 08:10
Of the last 7 people hired, only 2 had done their wet seasons in Darwin, others came from Qld and the Kimberley.

Shagtastic
14th Feb 2005, 19:36
How's Kakadu Bob these days? What do they do now other than the scenics and charters?

150Aerobat
16th Feb 2005, 02:06
I heard they've started doing flight training. Bob has surprised everyone and shows his true gentle nature as a flight instructor. Business is positively swinging.

G.A. Boy
16th Feb 2005, 02:33
Kakadu Bob just received his second GA8 Airvan, things must be OK.

Dog One
16th Feb 2005, 10:43
I see Hardy's DC3 is back in town!

Ozgrade3
16th Feb 2005, 12:31
So what the latest with recruiting at Hardies. In general what do they look at. Im just a lowly southerner looking for a new local. Are they doing well, is there much of a turnover of pilots. What are they like to work for.

topaharley
20th Feb 2005, 20:46
hey oz,

i guess hardies is looking because they put an advert in the NT news wanting 210/206 & one year wet season time but if you do head up north make sure you stay away from that blue tail bandit.;)

Continental-520
20th Feb 2005, 23:46
Has the CP at Air Ngukurr moved out yet?

If so, who's replaced him?

He was about as informative and as useful as a one-legged man at an ar$e kicking competition when I went to see him, despite being 'hungry for pilots'.

Sheesh!

topaharley
21st Feb 2005, 00:23
520 your trip to air ngukurr sounds like many others, at least you didn't waste paper sending them a cv, i heard the CP RH writes (next KFC'S duty manger )on it and puts it in the staff room. what a f@#k h##d.:*

bogdantheturnipboy
21st Feb 2005, 02:28
KFC Duty Manager, are you serious?

More like trolley collector:}

Billacabella
3rd Mar 2005, 02:51
Why is the 'new' CP about to leave?
He tells me he will not be there next week?
Very short stay........

Continental-520
3rd Mar 2005, 07:54
Well, Billacabella, that in itself should tell you what they're like to work for. Glad I didn't end up there.

shatfed
3rd Mar 2005, 09:35
Yes the last chief didnt last too long, maybe a few weeks as Billacabella has stated,think he got a job down south. Then again NAC seem to have a revolving door of chiefs of late. Wait and see who the new chief is next week then shall we...............

inthesoup
7th Mar 2005, 07:38
So did the position at Hardy Aviation get filled?

Or is it that the 1 year experience including the wets season is a bit hard for normal VFR pilots in single engines!

How does one get this precious experience, other than being in a company for a considerable amount of time to get into twins and work for the whole year, unlike low time pilots who are on seasonal contract?

VH-TEACH
17th Mar 2005, 04:20
Is Arnhem Air Charter still operating out of Darwin and is VH-KNA (Nomad) still in Darwin?

:E

Howard Hughes
17th Mar 2005, 06:30
Is Arnhem Air Charter still operating out of Darwin and is VH-KNA (Nomad) still in Darwin?

Umm, err, no...

I have'nt been there since 2000 and the Nomad and Arnhem Air were departed long before I got there!!

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

Kanga767
20th Mar 2005, 22:45
Not that I ever had anything to do with Nomads....

http://www.nomadfleet.com/80%20Ways/kna_ferry.htm

Kanga

drshmoo
20th Mar 2005, 23:11
Continental-520
What would be the difference between Kununurra(WA) wet season time and Darwin wet season time. Seems to me that they are one and the same thing.

VH-TEACH
22nd Mar 2005, 06:27
Kanga,

Nice PICS ! She was a nice old bird.:ok:

Continental-520
25th Mar 2005, 00:28
Drschmoo,

That's what I failed to understand.

I would've thought the same, but when I enquired, I was told in no uncertain terms that it HAD to be a TOP END wet season, as if TOP END WET SEASONS ARE LIKE NO OTHER WET SEASONS IN THE WORLD, and we're special for it. :rolleyes:

That said, it seems they've hired people who've flown in WA wet seasons, according to previous posts here, so it must change from day to day.

tinpis
25th Mar 2005, 00:51
FFS
The "Top end wet"

Hot bloody hot and sunny miserable high cabin temps very very smelly passengers.
Nothing much in the way of rocks to hit.

Prognosis?
Same for about 5 months with a shower or two thrown in .
Hard to operate in?
Yer kidding.

maxgrad
25th Mar 2005, 02:06
agree not overly difficult but just imagine an east or south coast green pilot flying to some wonderfull communityaround these things?
How many stories have you heard of newbies coming to grief in one fashion or another.

Just for fun try flying at night in a single from YPDN to YBAS while in the middle of a real wet, not like the one we have just had.

WA wet different, don't know too much about WA but can only guess it's pretty much the same

Aussie FI 3A
29th Mar 2005, 07:57
What is this industry comming to?

Like every man and his dog, I too applied for the HA job and found out today I didnt make it... But to add insult to injury, another DN charter mob who I work for found out and have put me back to 0 on the progression tables due to a "lack of loyalty" after a full wet season manning remote bases that no-one else would take. I now find myself in the positon of being the most experienced single driver in the company, with the lowest progression... Doesnt say much for being honest and open about your goals and ambitions in the industry.

Be warned: The difference in "moving up" and "moving sideways" in an aviation career is relitave to the individual. CP's dont see it the same as we do.

Anyone else hiring in DN at the mo?

Flintstone
30th Mar 2005, 23:41
"Just for fun try flying at night in a single from YPDN to YBAS while in the middle of a real wet, not like the one we have just had."

Ah, those were the days.

Wait for Mick to deliver the papers, load up, strip off wet T-shirt and shorts, don blue and whites, fly to Katherine, offload papers, fuel up, fly to Tennant Creek doing the NT News crossword with the bloke on Adelaide FS, dump papers and pick up fuel in Tennant, arrive (knackered) in Alice, collapse at the Heavitree.

Air North still got that run?

captwawa
31st Mar 2005, 01:41
Aussie FI 3A

I would have to guess that you would be working for NAC.

Good to see nothing changes. CP's dont see it the same as we do.Apparently the current one certainly doesn't. Is it true that there are now 6 female pilots working out of their Darwin base and that none of them go bush?

huntsman
31st Mar 2005, 02:27
out of 6 of them, you'd think one would 'go bush'. ;)

captwawa
31st Mar 2005, 02:49
Now that would be a sight to see!:ok:

Not sure about sporting a bush during the NT wet season though.:\

tinpis
31st Mar 2005, 03:07
Not the worlds wisest move putting girlies in bush communities. :hmm:

maxgrad
31st Mar 2005, 10:04
Flintstone
NT news pulled out of the contract some time back due to costs, 3 months later they were asking to set it up again but planes and pilots elswhere.
Now only done on Friday night.

Used to read the front page to the departure controller in DN each trip.

The Voice
31st Mar 2005, 12:47
with the bloke on Adelaide FS you know, some of us weren't blokes. In fact some of us were only to happy to keep you young guns chatting and awake!

maxgrad
31st Mar 2005, 13:12
did a damn good job of it too:ok:

Flintstone
31st Mar 2005, 18:32
maxgrad.

Thanks for that. I used to fax the crossword to Adelaide from Tindal then we'd help each other out once I was in the cruise.

Weren't hard though. It was the NT News after all:hmm:

DUXNUTZ
3rd Apr 2005, 06:13
MAXGRAD,

Any time for reading the paper these days in the Kingair?

captwawa
4th Apr 2005, 17:03
Gday again Aussie FI

Be comforted in the fact that *** has had a long dismal history of shafting guys that do the yards at the remote bases.

I've personally seen it several times happen to mates. I'm pretty sure I know who you are and where you are.

If I have ever seen a 'puppet' of a CP to the leprechaun then you won't have to look very far at all.

wawa

tinpis
4th Apr 2005, 21:33
Voice were you there in the days of AJ and "Can she? " and Miss K. H ?

:p

The Voice
4th Apr 2005, 23:31
Hey tinny,

worked with KH pre/post DN days .. she's up here somewhere now.

AJ I know by rep and believe we met at a wind up do.

As for the other, the mind boggles at who you mean?

maxgrad
5th Apr 2005, 00:14
Duxnutz
Na
Just business as usual but I don't have dibs on freshly printed NT news so kind of takes the fun out of it

tinpis
5th Apr 2005, 02:19
worked with KH pre/post DN days .. she's up here somewhere now.

Gove perchance??
Yup KH around at my house now and again
Canshe = Can she drink p*ss :rolleyes:

The Voice
5th Apr 2005, 02:57
neg .. If you think I'm who I think you think I am I'll slap ya!!

nope .. AD pre/post DN and PH post VR and contract AD.

As for the other mystery she .. pass .. give up - NFI.

Data chick or vocaliser?

tinpis
5th Apr 2005, 03:18
Nooo..Im not thinking who you think Im thinking you are I think you were not ever talkin to me in Darwhine because you wernt here at that time I think.... 81-84

can she = T. L.

http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/loony.gif

The Voice
6th Apr 2005, 03:13
umm, then nup twern't there then!

as for the she can .. NFI .. must've been from the eastern states on tfr...

tinpis
6th Apr 2005, 05:43
What are those noisy buggers of things screeching around at the moment ?
There another mock war on?

Enufsaid
6th Apr 2005, 05:49
Guys, if u are looking for a job in Darwin, don't bother with Air Ngu. They'll be lucky if they make it through next month. the current CEO is driving his company to the wall through his poor management skills. look at the ga ramp in darwin . they have just lost their banderante, they only had 2 twins outside. a mate of mine who used to work there said that they have no respect of seniority and that there are still more casuals than full timers. definately the last place to get awarded progression.

They are just continuing on the destruction path that HE and RH have already laid out. U're better off working for Hardys.

Best of luck guys, there's good operators out there

Dj Dave
6th Apr 2005, 09:52
Enufsaid,

you never know, maybe there will be a third B1900 in darwin :cool:

Dj Dave

shatfed
6th Apr 2005, 09:59
That's if they get the right pilots. The last two that Vincent got haven't come up to standard.

The Voice
6th Apr 2005, 23:19
Enufsaid,

That's a pretty negative view on your part. Could it be that the bandit was having something done to it?

I was under the impression that the company was undergoing a bit of a tidy and freshen up phase?

OpsNormal
7th Apr 2005, 00:55
Enufsaid, the Bandit has been in Matt Overell's for a few days, but apart from that has been parked in its usual position when not in use (from what I've seen).

I do not work for them, but have good reason to believe that NGU are anything but what you describe at the moment. Change takes time, and invariably some will get their nose out of joint, but change for the better is happening.

Dj, cat's out of the bag now, had heard the same the other night.... a bit of inside (hang-on I think we sat outside) info, so to speak..... ;)

Shatfed, not everyone comes up to speed on the day. The word "standard" is a dangerous one.... We've all made mistakes.

The Voice, we never finished that conversation we started before dinner......
:}

OpsN;)

Continental-520
8th Apr 2005, 13:13
I'd say there's another operator at Darwin running closer to danger than NGU...

In fact, so close to danger are they, yet the hierarchy aren't fully aware of it yet...

Probably better gone, though. On all accounts.

DUXNUTZ
10th Apr 2005, 05:06
And that would be......................?

Dj Dave
10th Apr 2005, 10:29
there is a certain company out there that has recently lost some important government contracts to an expanding company, which incidentally now lives across ngu.

having had a recent cash injection from vic (understand: company take over) and being refused credit on fuel tells you the worms are already inside the apple.

OpsNormal
10th Apr 2005, 10:44
Dj, are you talking the one just moved in (from another part of the a/d) to across the road, or the one just about next door.....? :ooh:

Continental-520
10th Apr 2005, 13:10
DUXNUTZ,

Their fleet has gone from 23 planes to a mere 11 within the last 12 months, they are now operating the majority of their revenue flights at a loss and they live on the southern side of "the GA", as it seems to be known on the radio.

That should narrow it down a tad, I reckon.

captwawa
10th Apr 2005, 15:53
Rumours on various community streets is that Ausjet is taking possession of all the bush bases and you can bet that creditors from all areas will be keen to secure funds owing from 'the Leprechaun' poste haste. HA I know there were some big words in there - that means the people that are owed money will be in calling soon if not already.

I guess HA you can always rely on your tremendous piloting skills if NAC goes belly up - I hear Direct is looking for some more guys - speak to Jeff I think you know him....

:ok:

DUXNUTZ
11th Apr 2005, 05:11
Well southern GA knocks out NAC! So i'm stumped.

Front*&r were always an also ran, which leaves NGU and the Big H.

Are we talking about the folks with one and a half metros?

tipped off
11th Apr 2005, 09:59
Been away from Dn for some time now, its sad to see any operator in trouble. Just remember behind every good or bad operator there are allways good pilots. Competition is a good thing regardless of where it comes from. Maybe its time for the managers to sort out there differences and then all pilots remain employed. must be enough work to go around.

captwawa
11th Apr 2005, 10:45
DUXNUTZ, NAC is at the southern GA, ie the parking area closest to the south. Air Ngu and the others are Northern GA. Don't know what you guys have heard but the Leprechaun may be having some trouble with his mates moving next door as well. Oh, and the Leprechaun may be ready soon to leave a pot of gold for everyone he stole from since Mar 04.

OpsNormal
11th Apr 2005, 20:10
.....Air Ngu and the others are Northern GA.....

There is more than ONE "GA" operator in the sthn GA as of the last few weeks....

DUXNUTZ
12th Apr 2005, 03:43
I thought that H@rdy's, Front!*r, Ngu Air and the former Wac Wacs were Southern GA and the NAC pilot reality show was northern GA?

I have beeen aways a lil while now but certainly remember referring to southern GA in me taxi call from the bowser!

As far as the leprecaun goes, i'm a lil lost but if HA had taken my advice and started filming his own reality tv show on aspiring pilots, i.e base them at an outstation, give em some obscure 'tasks' to do and vote one off each week then he might be making money!

bogdantheturnipboy
12th Apr 2005, 04:56
That's a brilliant idea, can't believe he didn't do it.

Continental-520
12th Apr 2005, 07:13
Duxnutz,

I'm reasonably sure that NAC can be considered south of the fuel bowser.

Therefore, I see it reasonable to consider the apron of the NAC area the 'southern GA' apron since it is south of all the other GA aprons.

I'm sorry if I'm not explaining this well mate. We'll get through it, I know we will.

Voted off or FORCED off?

Erin Brockovich
12th Apr 2005, 07:49
That's a brilliant idea, can't believe he didn't do it.He didn't do it because it is a brilliant idea. Only stupid, illegal, and 2 minutes ahead ideas come out of that brain.

DUXNUTZ
12th Apr 2005, 10:41
Yeah imagine all the locals getting together for the weekly 'vote-off' ceremony!!!

maxgrad
12th Apr 2005, 12:23
don't they call that the twr party?
no that's right it's only once a year

Aussie FI 3A
13th Apr 2005, 08:00
Well, if it was a reality show on pilots on remote stations for NAC, I guess I just got voted off. Musn't have been blonde, leggy and female... They always seem to win on that show. No, wait, I forgot! They never make it to the remote stations to start with ;-)

Oh well, you win some, you loose some.

Wish them all the best though.

captwawa
13th Apr 2005, 09:25
Aussie

by your last comments it seems as though you may have been shown the door - is that correct or are you just crapping on?

I remember hearing female NAC pilots claiming that they feared for their safety out bush - what a load of rubbish that is. I'd do anything to be away from the leprechaun if I was a female working for NAC.

wawa

thinking pilot
13th Apr 2005, 11:29
Worked at NAC three years ago, there where problems then, seems to be more know.

Stefan was quite a reasonable person who had faults like all of us, we had quite a lot of fun with piss ups, bbq's and strippers, just ask Sheep Guts.

Give the guy a chance, hopefully he'll learn by his mistakes.

Worked at NAC three years ago, there where problems then, seems to be more now.

Stefan was quite a reasonable person who had faults like all of us, we had quite a lot of fun with piss ups, bbq\'s and strippers, just ask Sheep Guts.

Give the guy a chance, hopefully he\'ll learn by his mistakes.

locusthunter
13th Apr 2005, 13:47
Stefan was quite a reasonable person who had faults like all of us
Thinking pilot,
Your fault wouldn't happen to be repeating yourself -would it?

Aussie FI 3A
14th Apr 2005, 01:58
Yeah Wawa, got the whole "Downsizing and Streamlining" spin and while not dismissed per se (due unfair dissmissal concerns I should think), I think it would be fair to say humpty was pushed.
:mad:

Erin Brockovich
14th Apr 2005, 03:41
Give the guy a chance, hopefully he\'ll learn by his mistakesYou can't be serious. I wander if the leprechaun would give all those pilots over the years he unofficially sacked a chance (ie your casual, we'll call you when we need you crap). Don't think so. Sorry but he has used up his nine lives, nine more that any of his pilots get, and his time is almost up.reasonable person who had faults like all of usPlease don't refer to him as having any sort of quality even remotely like all of ours. I don't know many people who got beat up at school and then took it out on their employees later down the track. What a big person! He is an adult and must be made accountable for his actions, not given more chances. Aussie, you will see later that it was the best thing that ever happened to you.

captwawa
14th Apr 2005, 12:48
Thinking Pilot what planet r u on?

there are many wawa's that can not wait for the final rainbow to set on the leprechaun. I am sure that HA will get on here at some point and say that he has helped people reach their dreams blah blah blah

go on HA why r u so quiet these days - have a say - maybe he can't afford a net connection anymore....

that new puppet has done a terrific job of not only help sink a rotting ship, but also ruining his own reputation as a decent operator. Anyone that says they 'love NAC' needs counselling.

Erin you are spot on.

wawa

Continental-520
15th Apr 2005, 15:31
Yaha,

I'd say things are coming to a head real soon.

I'll give them/him until the end of the dry season, maximum, if they're still operating by then, I'll be very surprised.

If not due to legal issues, things will finish up due to financial issues, I'd say. And if they are operating, it could only be due to a pretty sizeable cash injection from somewhere.