PDA

View Full Version : I'm about to commence modular training

markymojo
12th Feb 2005, 18:46
Hello young and wrinkly old Pprunes alike!

This is my first posting here, so be gentle!

I'm about to embark on the well worn tracks of going from zero to fATPL via the modular route, beginning in April. I've identified my prefered FTO but have not yet committed my signature to the bottom of the page. I'm looking for a little input here if possible, but hopefully my posting may also help others at the same stage.

If UK commitments had allowed, I think I would have done the training with EFT Florida. They seem a little ambivalent away from the a/c, but they have an excellent training reputation, are cheapish, and I liked the move to become one of their CPL instructors to allow you to build 1500hrs. They appear to have a growing link with some of the smaller low cost operators.

Anyhow, my plan is:

1) PPL, NR, MEP, IFR and hours build with OFT Kissimmee, Florida. They seemed professional and helpful when I visited, and $17k (£9.5k) is competitive when you throw in the suntan too! I note that OFT had bad press here for their training a couple of years ago. I gather this is much improved now (is the legendary Piers based there at the moment?), but I'd be interested in the feedback from recent students there.

2) Ground school, CPL, MCC with Cabair (EPTA) Bournemouth. I like the continuity of doing the flying at the same locale with the same people as for the ground school. They're not the cheapest, but have a good reputation. They also have a profile of some discription with some UK airlines, although I am unsure if this is more to do with Cabair Cranwell.
I'm a little concerned about recent comments in Pprune about their financial status. Grateful if anyone has any further update on this.

3) In the absence of a flying job appearing at my feet immediately after training, if funds allow I will take a FI course.

I could have equally gone for Aero's Gloucester for 2) as they give the impression of being very professional and offering a high level facility, that I suspect is recognised by the likes of BA City Express. Aero's are a strong possibility for 3) if they'll have me!

So there it is, my thoughts and plans. Interested to hear thoughts on these FTO's and indeed my plans. It's very difficult to get objective information (esp from FTO's!) so thank you creators of Pprune for such a great website.

ikea
12th Feb 2005, 20:38
that sounds really cool, and I wish you all the best.

I was going to do something very similar to you, but Ive opted to do my ATPL full time at NAC. Also my PPL, Multi, Night and 100hrs.

One thing im unclear about; is your Instrment JAA outright, or will you need to convert?

Im thinking about AEROFAN spain for my ME-IR and CPL. Their seemingly ow prices also mean I could afford an instructor rating

EGAC_Ramper
12th Feb 2005, 21:05
Ikea regards your query if you hold a FAA IR then once returning to UK one would have to convert it.

With that approach in mind it is best to tally up the figures as sometimes returning to the UK and converting does end up costing equal or greater than doing it in the UK first place.

Good to see other modular guys out there,starting mine in 2 weeks.Already hold PPL with 68TT commencing ATPL groundschool through Oxford,then to Bristol Flying Centre for my CPL/ME/IR and the hour building.Then quick hop back to Oxford for the money grabbing MCC for my bubblejet printed certificate!!:D

All the best:ok:

ikea
13th Feb 2005, 12:26
yeah i thought as much, thats what i may have to do, i jst cant make up my blooming mind!! its really doing my head in,!! whether i do CPP At naples, or more modular way:ugh:

Jodiekeyz
13th Feb 2005, 12:41
Best of luck, how about BGS for the groundschool element? A friend of mine highly recommends them

See you in the sky in a couple of years!:cool:

lamma
17th Feb 2005, 11:16
Well just come back from Florida building hours and wnated to say how impressed I was. In fact decided to do my CPL there in the next few months due to the quality of the instructors I had dealings with. Yes I met Piers at OFT and he's shaking the place up. Didn't fly with him though but maybe when I return. It certainly made me rethink my training route. You don't feel like you're being taken for every penny there like in the Uk.

Keep up the good work

markymojo
17th Feb 2005, 20:53
Thanks Lamma.

It's always reassuring to get some positive feedback about a flying school. Adds a little confidence. I've found it quite difficult assessing what is a good school and a bad one, as appearances don't always help. Nothing like actual testimonials.

Wouldn't it be great if someone somewhere established a regulated system of standardised performance indicators for flying schools. It would make choosing a school a lot more straightforward.

Organisations like CAA seem to make a lot of money out of pilots throughout their careers. Pilots have to invest huge sums of money and it would be nice if someone was formally looking out for them at what is a vulnerable stage of the process.

Anyway I don't want to veer off original track!! Further feedback on OFT, Cabair Bournemouth and Aeros etc. will be read with interest.