PDA

View Full Version : One-Eleven on the move?

gatman
12th Feb 2005, 13:28
I've just overtaken a low loader which was carrying the fuselage of an AB Airlines 1-11 500. Couldn't see the reg (no engines). Presumeably it's the one from the museum at Bournemouth (G-AVMN?).

It was heading north on the M25 just by the Heathrow T4 exit, does anyone know where it's going?

Tempsford
12th Feb 2005, 13:56
Ah yes, there was always a performance problem with the 500 series. I did hear tell that in order to reach V1 an equivalent of two laps of the M25 would be required. This should be a new experience for the 500 series , having never been so fast on the ground before.

Sorry Gatman, never was and never will be a fan of the
BAC 1-11.

Temps.

Tiger_mate
12th Feb 2005, 15:59
I on the other hand, am a fan of the pocket rocket. ...and where-ever she be destined, I hope it is for tender loving care and not the scrap man.

Optimistic though for a load loader is a lot of effort for a scrap man

I would like to see GAVMN in BEA (Union Jack tail) colours in the Manchester air park @ Ringway where she belongs.

Vick Van Guard
12th Feb 2005, 16:58
Sounds like G-AVMN on the way to Denmark to be turned into an ''exclusive restaraunt''.

BAC 1-11 restaurant. (http://www.airsalvage.co.uk/news.asp?page_id=184&type=single)

HZ123
13th Feb 2005, 17:43
Still chance to see the 9L reg Bac 1-11 at SEN which is parked alongside the fence and looks to be nearing readyness for its departure sadly not to be seen again methinks. But never say never, still a few Omani AF flying and a couple registered in the USA.

Krystal n chips
13th Feb 2005, 18:03
I am not being provocative in any way here, but I am always curious as to why so many have such a passion for the 1-11. I will accept that in structural terms, it was "extremely solid" shall we say, that the aerodynamics were very effective and that, to a certain extent pax enjoyed flying in the beast. But, from an engineering perspective, it was a heap of trouble no matter what the problem, let alone the daily routine on the thing. So why do so many people get enthusiastic about this type ?.

Compass Call
13th Feb 2005, 21:48
From a maintenance point of view, the only job I disliked was changing the water injection air shut-off valve in the stub-wing.
Working on the rest of it was a doddle. Reliable aircraft. She is also a beauty to fly in.:ok: :ok:

CC

pulse1
21st Feb 2005, 21:59
I just loved the noise. :E

brakedwell
22nd Feb 2005, 09:28
I just hated the noise, particularly when seated near the donks! Positioning back to LGW on BCAL after a night Teneriffe was an ordeal.

Hanslope
26th Feb 2005, 07:27
I was at Bournemouth on Wednesday evening. Pleased to confirm that it is not the museum aircraft G-AVMF that has gone.

MN must have been somewhere else. Outside a Coffee shop on what must have been the BAC site there is also a very clean could be newly painted Cabin Crew trainer front half of a 1-11.