PDA

View Full Version : Moving Family to HKG (CX SO)

Canadian Beech
12th Feb 2005, 02:56
I wanted to know what is the suggested time frame for moving my Family to HKG (wife and 2 under 4)... will there be a break in the training, or would it be best to wait til after the final line check is over? What have all you folks done in the past?
(I've tried to do a search, but am unable to find anything related).
Thanks!

Canadian Beech
12th Feb 2005, 21:16
Anyone else? What did you do... what would you have done diffrently?

Techo Taxi Driver
12th Feb 2005, 22:12
Hiya CB

I'm in the same boat myself, from what mates have told me, after the month in Adelaide you are into the exams which take 2 weeks. I figure it's best not to have the family around just then. Then I believe you get a few days off before starting your type rating which for the bus I think is another 2 weeks. All sounds fairly busy. I'm thinking that the wife will shoot over around then for a week or two to help sort out an appartment, furniture etc. Daughter (7) will stay home until we've decked out the pad and in particular her room. (thanks mum and dad lol). I think the whole process will be unsetteling enough for her without her parents stressing about study and moving in.

I figure the whole family will be there around 2 months after the call up.

Just my opinion, appreciate any feedback

Cheers
TTD

NoseGear
12th Feb 2005, 23:52
I agree with TTD, as you will be living in a small one bedroom hotel room until you can find a place to live. Not conducive to study with wife and child around your ankles, and of course theres not alot to do in the hotel, especially for kids. There's also no kitchen facilities in the hotel rooms either, so every meal is eat out. Get the wife over for a week, sort out a place to live, then move eveyone up once you are under line training is probably the best idea.

As mentioned mate, you will love the place, both CX and HK.

Nosey

akistar
13th Feb 2005, 07:15
How much is the small hotel room/day? is this based on discount rate for CX SO crew? where is that located, near MTR, CLK airport, or Kowloon? What is the name of this hotel??

cheers

Akistar

404 Titan
13th Feb 2005, 08:15
akistar

It is the crew hotel at Cathay City. It is called the Headland Hotel. While you are under training the Hotel tab is picked up by CX.

Canadian Beech

What the others have said is good advise. Don't bring them out until you have at least started your line training. I actually didn't bring my family up to HK until after I had checked to line. My wife came out a few times and I also visited her when I had the time. She realised that I, like most males was single chanelled and that trying to get me to concentrate on more than one thing at a time was dangerous. She on the other hand has the ability to do half a million things all at once. :confused: :hmm: ;)

BlueEagle
13th Feb 2005, 12:06
My personal experience; Leave the family at home until you have passed your final line check!

grind king
13th Feb 2005, 16:03
Does anyone know when the wife and family can take advantage of consessionary travel on CX? Do we have to wait until training is over or can she use passes to come visit during training?

Techo Taxi Driver
13th Feb 2005, 17:45
To my understanding, you partner and children get travel straight away, but only to your home port. After 6 months that includes travel anywhere on the CX route structure and after a year travel with other airlines.

Cheers
TTD

Canadian Beech
13th Feb 2005, 20:09
Could anyone shed some light on how much a 'concessionary travel' ticket would cost for a trip HKG to YVR, or even Toronto?
Thanks.

DDDOF
15th Feb 2005, 03:54
Another quick couple of questions.
When the family is ready to move out, do you have to bring them out on passes or do CX provide a confirmed seat for them?
I have been told to import my dog, I need her to travel as manifested cargo. I know we get a moving cargo allowance, but I imagine this isn't of high enough priority to ship live animals.
I spoke to CX Cargo in YYZ and they said I should be able to use "concessionary cargo" which is either 90% off for low priority or 50% off for confirmed, could anyone tell any more about this and if we have to be with the company a certain time frame to use this??
Thanks

Herc Jerk
16th Feb 2005, 06:38
DDDOF, if you haven't already seen this, check out AFCD (http://www.afcd.gov.hk/quarantine/text/lsk/import/dogcat.htm) for HKG customs/quarantine info re your dog. Nothing to do with your question though...:rolleyes:

busdriver
9th Mar 2005, 01:42
Dont loose the plot....

If you need the support of your family and the security knowing that they are fine and well (and safe if they are from South Africa) then bring them up and move out of "camp Headland" after your ground school.

Many guys have done it before you....

But if you need the quiet time to dedicate yourself to relativly easy endorsment. Or if you dont care which way the wind blows in your marriage and would prefere not to have your partner around your neck when you are out with the guys in Lan Kwai Fong on all of the off time that you WILL have - then leave them put at home untill you've done your line check!

My wife joined me 2 weeks after I got back from ADL and I was just starting the 340 ground school. We got our own place as I started in the Sim....

It can be done