PDA

View Full Version : STOL Passenger Jet

SLF3
11th Feb 2005, 19:54
If this is the wrong forum my apologies.

Is there a STOL passenger jet (around 50 pob) that would do Madrid - Lagos (2,380 nm) or Rome - Lagos (2,490 nm). We don't have to use all the seats. No freight, just 20 kg per person?

Looks too hard for a BAE 146 / RJ90, but is there something else(Russian?) that would do it.

How long a (paved, flat) runway would we need? Say 29°C ambient.

TURIN
11th Feb 2005, 20:58
This should keep you interested for a few.......years.

http://www.vstol.org/ (http://)

john_tullamarine
11th Feb 2005, 22:37
Significant problem is certification speed margins for takeoff .. the military STOL machines operate in a potentially hazardous flight regime.

Is there a STOL civil aircraft to western rules ? .. meaning one which doesn't comply with FAR 25 or equivalent ?

Bealzebub
12th Feb 2005, 00:29
Just curious as to what you mean by STOL ? Rome Madrid and Lagos all have long runways so why the Short takeoff and landing requirement ? The payload you are talking about is around five to five and a half tonnes. There are many civil airliners that can lift this very light payload over the range you require. 757 would do it with ease and with much capacity to spare ( about 18 tonnes spare !) . Various 737 models could also accomodate. No doubt a whole host of transports would fit the bill on the face of it. What is the limiting factor ? Are you proposing operating from a private airstrip or something ? A 757 could probably manage this with around 5000 ft of runway, but it very much depends on other factors such as terrain / obstacle clearance etc. Additionally moving 50 odd passengers requires other infrastructure normally found at large major airports such as customs / immigration, fuel availability, handling support, engineering cover etc. It is often simply impractical to operate to airfields where these things are not available because the cost of providing them on a one off basis may negate the advantage that is otherwise sought.

SLF3
12th Feb 2005, 09:06
Thanks for the replies. We would have our own airstrip for other reasons, but only for turboprops. We would be looking to do the journey several times a week (maybe even daily) over an extended period. Customs clearance would obviously be an issue but infrastructure on the ground would not. The idea of extending the runway and using STOL jets to bring some of the people in and out came out of a brainstorming, and I'm the poor SLF who has to run the suggestion down! I suspect it is one of those good ideas that in the final analysis is impractical, but you don't know until you ask.

Rainboe
12th Feb 2005, 09:53
Looks like B737-500. I don't think any such Russian aeroplanes would get licensed.