PDA

View Full Version : IMC Privileges in the UK with with a CPL?

duir
11th Feb 2005, 18:48
If you have a UK JAA CPL can you fly in IMC conditions in the UK as a Private Pilot? Reason I ask is that I hope to complete the CPL in April and I know there is some instrument work in the syllabus. My IMC rating is up for renewal in May, if I do not renew would I be able to fly legally as a private pilot in IMC using the CPL?

thereceiver2004
11th Feb 2005, 18:51
with a cpl and an elapsed IMC rating you have the same privileges as a basic PPL holder so if you want to fly in IMC you will need to get your IMC revalidated.
The stand alone CPL although contains min 5 hours IF work, does not entitile the holder to any extra privileges

BEagle
11th Feb 2005, 20:33
The old 'embedded IMC privileges' of the CAA CPL were lost when the Belgrano idiots overlooked that in their unnecessarily precipitate embrace of the Eurocratic lunacy which is JAR-FCL, I'm afraid.

I R Baboon
12th Feb 2005, 09:44
I've been wondering the same thing for some time - I asked the question at the Flyer show a year or so ago and was made to feel like some kind of idiot by more than one FTO!

I've just trawled through the latest copy of LASORS (being careful to distinguish between the 'Commercial Pilot's Licence' and the ' Basic Commercial Pilot's Licence') and I found this section from page 52......

Commercial Pilot's Licence (Aeroplanes)
Minimum age - 18 years
Maximum period of validity - 10 years
Privileges:
1 The holder of the licence shall be entitled to
exercise the privileges of a United Kingdom
Private Pilot's Licence (Aeroplanes) which
includes an instrument meteorological conditions
rating (aeroplanes) and a night rating (aeroplanes)
or night qualification (aeroplane), and.........

This seems to suggests that you can fly UK PPL IMC under your CPL. Not sure why it states UK PPL though rather than JAR, as IMC rating is only valid in UK anyway?

I guess that you really need to speak to someone at the CAA to get a definitive answer. If you do, please post here as I would love to know too!

GusHoneybun
12th Feb 2005, 13:40
What you have quoted there is the details from what old Beag's mentioned. The old CAA CPL had an embedded IMC rating that was valid as long as the CPL was. Now days, with the advent of JAR, there is no IMC rating included in the CPL. Period. And before you ask, you cannot do a CAA CPL any more. All licences issued are JAR. However, if you hold a valid Mutil Crew IR, you do get an implied IMC rating as long as the multi crew IR is valid.

BEagle
12th Feb 2005, 15:14
Quite correct, Gus.

Is that Angela Rippon's hand up your......??