PDA

View Full Version : CPL Age Question

Welshman
11th Feb 2005, 11:56
I'm new here so be kind :)

A little question to all you guys in the know; at what age would you say that it's to old to start a career as a CPL .

Opinions are appreciated.

Craig

BOAC
11th Feb 2005, 12:20
Welcome Welshman - your question will fare better on the 'wannabees' forum. Hence it is moved.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
11th Feb 2005, 12:41
Welshman,

This is a difficult question to answer, and I must admit I don't know the answer to your question, however I can say I have read about people starting their flying careers in their forties.

I am 29 and can only hope I am not considered an old timer!:D

FlyingForFun
11th Feb 2005, 15:00
Depends what you want to do with your CPL.

If you see yourself as a B747 captain, then the younger the better, within reason (get some exams under your belt first).

On the other hand, if you're coming up to retirement age, but fancy spending your weekends instructing after you've retired, then there's nothing to stop you doing a CPL in your 60s or even later.

FFF
-------------

BroomstickPilot
11th Feb 2005, 17:21
Welshman,

Do please see my post in the Wannabes department under CPL/ATPL.

Broomstick

shortstripper
11th Feb 2005, 18:32
Well I'm 40 this year, been flying since 16 and have decide to go for a CPL now. I'll never be an airline pilot, but once the kids are gone I won't need to earn as much, so flying for "some" money will be a nice way to wind down toward the inevitable :ok:

SS

helio eng
12th Feb 2005, 08:59
Hi welshman,

Dont know your age, but i'm starting down the path of a CPL H at 41 you gonna meet a lot of people that are going to think your mad and wasting your money, I've heard it all, its up to you, may be these people are right, i suspect they are, but if you really want to do something, and you've considered the risks, then go for it, things dont always stay the same in this world, If you dont do, you'll never know will you.

I think a lot of people are gonna give me a hard ride for saying this, you got to be positive, talk to as many people as you can in the industry, you never know a small chance may emerge.

Its easy( well intentioned it may be) to knock people for unrealistic, you gotta rise above it and go for it

CAT3C AUTOLAND
25th Feb 2005, 21:55
shortstripper,

With that attitude mate, I bet you will be a dam good instructor :D!

Enjoy it.

QNH 1013
26th Feb 2005, 20:20
I agree with FFF. In my case: Instrument Rating at age 50, CPL at age 53 (five months from start to finish including all the writtens, full-time of course), first flying job at age 54 less than 7 months after starting the CPL writtens. I'm not short of work either, most of which during the winter is instructing, which I really enjoy.