PDA

View Full Version : NIMROD book

Tartan Giant
10th Feb 2005, 20:41
http://www.geocities.com/cometmp/

Martin Painter is writing a new book, and would appreciate first hand experiences on the Mighty Hunter.

Email him if you please at: [email protected]

Cheers

TG

charliegolf
11th Feb 2005, 07:11
An insomniac's dream- can't wait!

CG

ORAC
11th Feb 2005, 07:14
Is it a cook book? :}

BEagle
11th Feb 2005, 07:38
Kinloss, then water.
And water..
And more water...
And still more bŁoody water....
Is that a submarine? No - it's a log.
Water
Water
Kinloss.

As it was once described to me by a HMP ISK escapee!

Regie Mental
11th Feb 2005, 08:50
Title 'Reach for the Pie' perhaps?

charliegolf
11th Feb 2005, 09:00
I was only kiddin', you lot are just plain nasty!

CG

Tartan Giant
11th Feb 2005, 11:27
I really like the comments.

'Reach for the Pie'

Top marks....... :ok:

Cheers lads

TG

Navaleye
11th Feb 2005, 13:45
I suggest he gives Sandy Woodward a ring. I think he may have a "customer perspective" on the story. :}

nav attacking
11th Feb 2005, 21:57
Its a real shame that he won't be able to publish much about what the nimrod actually does and yet again a book about the mighty hunter will have to resort to 'pie eating' and 'yet more sea' banter.

Those that mock only show a complete ignorance of what is being acheived by the mighty hunter as I type. Take a look at the RAF/MOD/STC websites and check out which aircraft are still carrying out deployed Ops around the globe. A little more research as to where they actually are and you may start to think.....

Then again the more that remain ignorant the better ........

BEagle
11th Feb 2005, 22:04
Well you don't really think that anyone would discuss your actual primary role on here, do you?

Why are those chaps in that black Omega looking at me.....

Charlie Luncher
12th Feb 2005, 03:25
Did someone say pies?:}

Bag Man
12th Feb 2005, 04:31
Q. What should we do with a camera that requires nine men to operate it?

A. Put it in an old aircraft that is struggling to find a role.

Roland Pulfrew
12th Feb 2005, 07:52
No, not pies!! Surely DCS was much nicer!!:D

MAD Boom
12th Feb 2005, 08:33
Nav Attacking,

A bit touchy there me old muckka!!

The true story would actually be that you've never reached for a pie in your life, just had it delivered by those with more of a tactical picture than you'll ever have.

That was my turn at being touchy!

And you forgot about the doughnuts, mmmm.. doughnuts!

kippermate
12th Feb 2005, 09:47
Nav attacking,

I think that if more people knew what the RAF's 'top secret pie plane' did then perhaps I would not be travelling to ISK for a disbandment do in Apr!

Once had a tornado 'Downwind behind the Mighty Bunter' ! Cheeky sod!

Nihil Nos Effugit!

:ok:

mmmmmmmm...chicken curry!

Big Tudor
12th Feb 2005, 11:56
The Mighty Grunter has an extremely vital role to play. If it wasn't for the aircraft, In-Flight Catering would not exist at ISK. If In-Flight didn't exist, there would be no Dairy Cream sponge cakes within 5 miles of the place. And if there were no sponge cakes, ATC Kinloss night shifts would have been a very unhappy time for me! Mmmmm, cream sponge! :ok

Pontius Navigator
12th Feb 2005, 15:50
One day on a taceval the wing was survival scrambled, fuel no object, or put it anohter way we just sat on teh ground having done a taky walk around the airfield. Fully fuelled and rationed and doing b*gg*r all while the poor sods outside were doing the NBC black in the days before NBC suits.

Captain calls up for permission to broach the artions as we had already been 'airboring' for an hour. "Wait out". % minutes later he called again. "From OC Ops you may make hot beverages but you are NOT to eat the food."

"Munch munch" "Munch" "Munch munch" echoed round the airfield. None of the others had even thought to ask.

Was it any coincidence that Jock Pies fitted te Charlie launcher?

bluetail
12th Feb 2005, 18:33
OK

I,ve waited long enough.................

Big Tudor...........whenever did Air Traffic get in ahead of the groundies to get the DCS,s (and anyway the only time there were any left was on a DET JET)

Without a doubt, if the SAR jet scrambled for a short job, invariably the Rations (Compo) were opened to make up a "honkers" this meant a complete re ration of the back up........groundies tea bar was supplemented every time ( unfortunately no DCS on the SAR) when the job landed

And just how many times have Navs and Pilots fought over the Tea Time biscuits.....I,ve seen so many tantrums because there were no jammy dodgers left

Finnally, I remember the day we went from frozen to Oven Chips....something to do with lardy aircrew

And don,t start me on about aircrew ration rates on detachments

PS....without a doubt the most amount of rations I,ve ever seen loaded was in 1982 when we launched the 28Hr trial trip....16 Big Bags of ISK,s finest in flight offerings......16 very big bags

BT

Yellow Sun
12th Feb 2005, 19:01
PS....without a doubt the most amount of rations I,ve ever seen loaded was in 1982 when we launched the 28Hr trial trip....16 Big Bags of ISK,s finest in flight offerings......16 very big bags

It was in fact 18 hours, 2 prods, one of which was (I was told at the time) the largest offload ever from a Victor K2. 206 Sqn crew, A.M-J capt, Tony Banfield the AAR pilot.

I counted them out and I counted them back.

YS

Small Spinner
12th Feb 2005, 20:28
Not really the most rations loaded at one time but on a return journey from Homestead AFB in Florida, we rationed for the usual American steaks and all the trimmings for 25 air and ground crew. Cooked our little asses off on the first leg to Gander.

Had told Pat Carroll (OCA) that we required no further rations, but a bloated crew landed at Gander and was told that the Canadians had very kindly laid on a meal in the terminal, and it would be rude to not show up.

Staggering back to the jet for the final overnight leg to land at ISK at 0700L, we were confronted by rations being loaded, which comprised of the finest Nova Scotian Salmon salads, and ice cream!! etc etc.

Had to sign for the damn stuff but promptly lost the receipt. It was a bit like eating the wafer thin mint from the Meaning of Life, trying to sample the ice cream.

Slept well on the way back and the welcoming groundcrew at ISK never saw so much uneaten rations coming off an aircraft.:D

Big Tudor
12th Feb 2005, 21:31
bluetail

The were certain controllers at ISK of a particular vintage who took it upon themselves to provide sustinance for the long Moray Firth winter nights. All In-Flight staff were required to hold a vaild airside driving permit, issued by ATC and requiring a re-validation signature from ATC each year. Said driving permit would be endorsed by the venerable controllers using a primitive form of bartering. One signature = 1 x Dairy Cream sponge. I don't recall it ever failing. :E

I also recall when the fleet was bolt-holed to Lossie, additional rations would be provided for the demanding coach journey from ISK. All 8 miles of it! :suspect:

In terms of non-ration related stories, the one call that would send a shiver of dread around the Tower was "Aircraft returning with hung-up sonobouy". One prayed to any God that would listen that the skipper would perform the gentlest of landings, thus preventing the sonobouy from dislodging and spreading liberal amounts of ball-bearings all over the asphalt. There was thousands of the little bu66ers in each sonobouy and they would scatter for miles if it burst. I swear I have even seen OC Ops (can't recall his name) out in his little Metro scouring the runway for any trace of a ball-bearing.

Foxache Radar
14th Feb 2005, 11:28
Struggling to find a role....

If only.... we're fighting them off.

Charlie Luncher
16th Feb 2005, 23:57
somebody say rolls

:hmm:

bluetail
17th Feb 2005, 17:56
................With a deep fried Mars Bar in it!!!!!!!

YS

"It was in fact 18 hours, 2 prods, one of which was (I was told at the time) the largest offload ever from a Victor K2. 206 Sqn crew, A.M-J capt, Tony Banfield the AAR pilot."

You know I,ve allways wondered what you got up to on that trip, because I recall Eng Ops wanted to Turn It round, I saw the thing in after the trip but when we opened the back door the Stink was horrendous, so on the advice of the medics we put it U/S, the word we got on the line was that you just flew round and round the UK bored out your skulls
(By the way the stink was from the spare Thunder bucket down the back).

I wonder YS did you do any of the FI to ISK one hop jobs, after the war.

BT

Yellow Sun
18th Feb 2005, 07:40
the word we got on the line was that you just flew round and round the UK bored out your skulls

Bluetail, I never implied that I flew on it, but I do know a great deal about that period. It was mounted as a proving flight. It had not been envisaged that the Nimrod would be refuelled in flight and although it was expected that everything would work for long enough it had to be demonstrated prior to operational employment.

The limiting factor for the length of flight was the oil system. Using the allowable consumption rates, the maximum flight time was fixed at ca. 18 hours. The proving flight was not "tasked" as such. The aim was to fly for 18 hours and operate the systems for extended periods throughout that time. If you think about what was being envisaged as the operational profile; 5 hours out, 6 hours on task, 5 hours back; then the boredom factor could be quite high.

By the way the stink was from the spare Thunder bucket down the back

Ah the heady mix of Racasan and OF14!, a potent recipe if allowed to mature for 18 hours. The Elsan was installed, not because the capacity of "normal facilities" was considered inadequate, but in case of failure of the "forward rest room". If the toilet jammed 1 hour into a 16 hour op sortie, it would be prudent to have provided a back up, however basic. It wasn't popular with the crews either.

I wonder YS did you do any of the FI to ISK one hop jobs, after the war.

After Corporate I went back to the day job. I don't recall anything about non-stop flights to FI. Not really sure why they should be considered necessary. Maybe someone else can provide chapter and verse on these.

YS

ORAC
18th Feb 2005, 08:06
FI flight info on a previous thread here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=115708).

Yellow Sun
18th Feb 2005, 09:04
Orac

FI flight info on a previous thread here.

Bluetail and I are referring to post Corporate flights. The thread you have linked to refers to operations during the war.

Bluetail

Have just re-read your post. I do recall the FI-KIN operation, but had no involvement with it. I am pretty sure that we never did it the other way round though.

Is there anyone reading this who did FI-KIN direct and can provide details?

YS

Radar Riser
18th Feb 2005, 09:39
I've never heard of anybody doing the FI-KIN in one hop. Well lets face it, you wouldn't want to and what would be the point!

Been there a couple of times and we've always night stopped at Ascention. Came back one year via Rio.........which was nice;)

RR

Yellow Sun
18th Feb 2005, 10:05
I've never heard of anybody doing the FI-KIN in one hop.

You are quite right RR, not a lot of point to it. But when did that ever stop 18Gp?

It may be that old age is muddling things, and if it did happen, it was a one off.

YS

Small Spinner
18th Feb 2005, 11:32
YS
I'm sure your not muddling things up as before I went down there in Nov 84, I am certain there was a 120 or 206 crew that did the full Port Stanley to ISK in one go. Think some politician was onboard.
Our boss was plugged in behind a Herc on the trip back to Ascension for 40 odd minutes, if I remember correctly. Had arms like Popeye afterwards.
That was the same trip that we landed 6 ft short on the port undercarriage at Port Stanley, and all to allow us to pull off into the pan, rather than going to the end and turning round!
The hot brakes and holes in the flaps put pay to that idea in any case, and we had the afternoon off.
Brilliant flying down there mind you, looking at all the places mentioned during the war.

BATS
18th Feb 2005, 11:38
IIRC It was Exercise Southern Rain when the ac did the direct transit FI to ISK.

Ray Dahvectac
18th Feb 2005, 16:03
IIRC, the nonstop ASI-KIN effort was to fly one Michael Heseltime back to the UK following his visit to the islands as S-of-S for Defence.

Not sure if there was more than one nonstop trip during the 80's ???

bluetail
18th Feb 2005, 17:41
RAY

It was Heseltine alright, but it was Pt Stanley to ISK direct, not ASI to ISK, and it was early 1984. I was down there on Sea Kings (another story) at Navy Point, we had to fly behind the S of S to make sure he didn't get captured by the Argies!!!!

If I recall the trip was done twice, each trip taking 17hrs odd, cant remember who the crews were though. There might have been a claim made about the longest ever operational trip once they got home so they could justify it for Heseltine, I can,t really recall.

On the Heseltine trip, I believe all the ground crew (even the Crew Chief) were kicked off at the last minute to allow Heseltines tribe get on (and no doubt a couple of Journo,s too) the groundies ended up getting home by Herc.

Small Spinner

Check your log book, I reckon it was "27, the flaps fix job took rolls of Speed Tape, still at least you stopped before the end.

BT

Ray Dahvectac
19th Feb 2005, 08:30
BT,

You are of course correct in that it was a FI-UK nonstop. Typo on my part I'm afraid.

But if the trip were only 17 hours, it would not stand a chance in the 'longest operational' stakes. I can recall doing 19 hours+ trips (and three AAR slots) in theatre; I am sure others did longer.

oo ah cantona
8th Mar 2005, 22:21
BEagle mate! If only what you said about water water everywhere was still true!! I think a lot of the the guys/gals would appreciate those days once more.:O

BelixA
15th Mar 2005, 19:51
At least we have something to look at these days. Not that I enjoy flying over sandy sh*tholes.
What did happen to the DCS? still havent seen one of the legendary items.
Whilst we're on the rations stories, just did a det out of a Dutch base in a sunny place, and the rations consisted of 13 Stews...nice....oh and water.

happy eater
5th Apr 2005, 08:37
Ummmmmm, all day breakfast, Ummmmmmmm:E

buoy15
5th Apr 2005, 14:30
Big Tutor

The sonobuoy sack was (and still is), filled with lead shot about the size of small ball-bearings

Yellow Sun

Allan Bone and CXX crew 6 flew Stanley to ISK non-stop in 18hrs
5mins with a nightmare Victor support tanking operation out of Ascension

Oh, for an AFC for trashing the Mess !

Happy days

reynoldsno1
5th Apr 2005, 21:53
I cannot recall, ever, eating a pie on a Nimrod ... a lot of other things, but no pies. Reindeer steak out of Andoya, barracuda tails out of Masirah, Maltese ham sandwiches ... best rations were out of Luqa...