PDA

View Full Version : Royal Wedding - do we get a day off?

Navaleye
10th Feb 2005, 11:40
We did last time. I could do with a long weekend.

althenick
10th Feb 2005, 11:55
Navaleye,

Forget it! Wedding is on april 6th - Wednesday! :mad:

... Seems rather quick tho' :confused: maybe he's got her up the stick:O

Navaleye
10th Feb 2005, 12:10
No, its Friday 8th April. What better way to mark the event than spending the afternoon in the pub :D

newswatcher
10th Feb 2005, 12:16
Unless we all go to work to show how disinterested we are:ooh:

WE Branch Fanatic
10th Feb 2005, 12:17
Another wonderful opportunity for the Government to bury bad news....

:mad:

brakedwell
10th Feb 2005, 12:36
Maam's little darlings can dress up in fancy dress and wear their toytown medals.

Splash Coxswain
10th Feb 2005, 12:57
Quietly, in a Registry Office, with no pomp and ceremony and certainly no uniform to denegrate any Service, let's hope.

Princess Camilla - even Disney couldn't have scripted it.

lineslime
10th Feb 2005, 13:01
Best not have any low level flypast as it may scare the equine looking one.:E :E :E

FJJP
10th Feb 2005, 13:26
Private ceremony in Windsor Castle...

BEagle
10th Feb 2005, 15:05
Well, personally I feel that the marriage of Prince Charles to Mrs Parker-Bowles is one thing, but whether the Duchess of Cornwall should ultimately become the King's Consort is entirely another as it will undoubtedly be highly controversial and potentially very damaging to the stability of the monarchy.

Solution? The Duke of Cornwall should relinquish his aspiration to monarchy in favour of Prince William.

Splash Coxswain
10th Feb 2005, 15:28
Get's my vote! Here's to King Billy! Aaagghh! No! Sorry didn't meant that! So much for the Peace Process!

airborne_artist
10th Feb 2005, 15:52
More importantly, will the defence budget have enough left so that the lads/lasses of the Fleet can splice the mainbrace?

brakedwell
10th Feb 2005, 16:06
Are there any mainbraces left?

An Teallach
10th Feb 2005, 16:49
Did the Admiralty / Army / Air Force Boards commission QR1021 reports on the Admiral / Major-General / Air Marshal for humping the Brigadier's wife?

hyd3failure
10th Feb 2005, 16:59
No, No....she will be known as the Princess Consort....which strangely was the same name as my first Car...cracker it was too....leather seats, 3 seats in the front and the loudest speakers I could afford...Fab.....

Hang on, is that treason????? better scrub it before they chop me 'ead orf !!!

Or on second thoughts maybe we should ban the lot of 'em..

Vive La Republic !!!

ecnalubma
10th Feb 2005, 17:08
God I hope she's not pregnant. Those would be some very ugly children. How could he go from a beautiful women like Diana to this is beyond comprehension.
The worlds riches welfare cases will be costing taxpayers another tidy sum.

bluetail
10th Feb 2005, 17:40
The unfortunate thing with Diana was when she had done her duty and produced William and Harry, as we all well know she was discarded.

Duchess of Cornwall, Princess Consort, my God save us all.

Day off ......no chance....no bods left at home to get one, no flypast either, nothing serviceable

BT

higthepig
10th Feb 2005, 18:10
What does one buy one who has everything for a wedding present? Thought about a horse, plane, big house in the country, even a county or two but one thinks the one has them already. Also, stag party in Blackpool or Newcastle?

opso
10th Feb 2005, 19:07
Shouldn't his stag night be held in Newquay?

JessTheDog
10th Feb 2005, 19:22
Shouldn't his stag night be held in Newquay?

His "stag" party would be shooting them!

Canary Boy
10th Feb 2005, 20:37
'What does one buy one who has everything for a wedding present?'

More efficient glasses....:yuk:

jindabyne
10th Feb 2005, 20:50
C'mon chaps - stop being a bunch of roundheads. Charles and Camilla are decent middle-aged human beings born into a life not of their choosing. There are unattractive wives, pretty wives. Look at your own in thirty years time - and she may well not be the same model, either through age or divorce! Give them a break and move on. Whether you prefer King Charles, King Willy or whatever - either are infinitively preferable to President Blair, Brown or Howard et al - whoever the former are married to.

Raise a glass, and say good on yer!

PS - just returned from the pub.

Canary Boy
10th Feb 2005, 20:54
Jind...

B*gg*r, tanglefoot do make 'er look a whole lot better...

But in the morning :yuk:

soddim
10th Feb 2005, 23:06
If Charlie wants to marry a paper bag job that's his choice. Could do worse and pick a Coyote job.

Toxteth O'Grady
10th Feb 2005, 23:25
Look on the bright side........

At least we can rename the Merlin sim as "The Princess Consort Building" now that it's officially attached to the Duke of Cornwall!!

:cool:

TOG

allan907
11th Feb 2005, 05:56
In today's West Australian alongside a picture of the horses, sorry - happy couple, there is a headline which reads

"I saw my daughter abused: mother"

this link only valid for 24 hours - ie, next edition (http://www.thewest.com.au)

country edition slightly different to that shown on the link

peterperfect
11th Feb 2005, 07:06
The Air Force must have had a say in the date, I mean by chosing a Weds, any gratis day would neatly link the two weekends.

BEagle
11th Feb 2005, 07:33
My, what rib-ticklingly top quality salty sea dog humour from peterp....:rolleyes:

On Planet Earth, April 8th is a Friday.

"Ah-haarh, me lads. Yo-ho-ho, splice the mainbrace and a fresh cabin boy in the bum barrel! Or 'twill be the cat for 'ee"

;)

Mind you - is there really anyone around who thinks that HM will give them a day off for this?

An Teallach
11th Feb 2005, 09:41
Ancient joke warning red!!

Wedding Night conversation:

Charles: "Would you like the Bridal Suite?"

Camilla: "No thank you darling, I'll just hang on to your ears!"

Fg Off Bloggs
11th Feb 2005, 09:48
Note so perfect there pete!!!!! Sharpen up, there's a good chap!

BeauMan
11th Feb 2005, 10:54
I hear she's been banned from usuing the khazi in Buck House though. So now Camilla has nowhere to park 'er bowels.

I'll get me coat...

peterperfect
11th Feb 2005, 12:02
BEagle.
VPR (Valid Point Reg.) I was wrong.

I only read Althenick's 'Weds 6th' post and foolishly didn't verify, however I've already got me (duffle) coat and the next bus to planet earth is in 14 minutes.
BITTY, MOTHER, BITTY.

Note to diary: Fancy that, duff information on Pprune today.

althenick
11th Feb 2005, 13:00
Yeah sorry about the duff gen - I think I got it from the BBC Website.

....Still wont get a day off tho' :{

BEagle
11th Feb 2005, 13:20
BITTY, peterp?

And there was I thinking you were the 'only gay in the villadge..."

Don't miss your liberty boat this w/e!

:p

KENNYR
12th Feb 2005, 19:26
Maybe she should be coralled in a stable, given the name Princess Consort and then ridden at Ascot. What a comedy act...........Big Ears and Horsey. Sorry to be so disrespectful to a member of the Royal Family but Charles is probably making the biggest mistake of his life, and he is setting a dangerous precidence with respect to a divorced person being remarried in the Church of England (or at least receiving the Archbishops blessing). The flood-gates will be thrown fully open.

Oh well, who gives a sh!t???!!!!!!!

The Queen Mum must be turning in her grave.

Red Line Entry
13th Feb 2005, 09:19
What a bunch of holier-than-thou gits you lot are!

Terribly sorry if Camilla doesn't meet your standards of beauty for a public figure. What a reflection of the shallow society of today, that such an issue is so important. I assume you are all (and your spouses) paragons of Adonis-like beauty.

Similarly, you all seem to feel well qualified to act as judge, jury and (if possible) executioner on the marriage. Obviously you also live lives of perfect fidelity and shun any friends who are unfaithful, divorce or remarry.

Or are you merely sanctimonious hypocrites?

Maple 01
13th Feb 2005, 09:22
Sorry to disapoint, but we ARE all paragons of Adonis-like beauty.

It's been a basic requirement at the CIO since at least 1983......

WorkingHard
13th Feb 2005, 10:48
RLE - "Or are you merely sanctimonious hypocrites?"
was that adressed to us or the Windsors?

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
13th Feb 2005, 11:40
http://www.nos.org.uk/images/patrons/Camilla.jpg

Well, I like her.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the pub to see the garlic noshing surrender monkeys get a taste of English spunk.

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Feb 2005, 11:51
Chuckles could do worse. He stroked the cat pretty well the first time round with the dopey one. Let's hope it all works out this time round.

Not sure the day off will happen, though...

Lafyar Cokov
13th Feb 2005, 16:51
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the pub to see the garlic noshing surrender monkeys get a taste of English spunk.

Ahhh - oh dear, if that's English spunk - I'll take the cheese.

Twats!!!

Crótalo
13th Feb 2005, 17:36
This photo says a lot, IMHO.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40814000/jpg/_40814077_charles_camilla_rex_300.jpg

Charles & Camilla have cared for each other for a very long time. I wish them all the very best.

And for those who are hung up on the "looks" issue, Camilla was quite good-looking when she was younger. Although her looks may have faded somewhat with age (and who is immune from that?), Charles has the sense and depth to see her for who she is, not what she looks like.

pr00ne
14th Feb 2005, 00:39
KENNYR,

Do you realise how ridiculous that statement of yours below is????

….”and he is setting a dangerous precedence with respect to a divorced person being remarried in the Church of England”…..

That is PRECISELY why the Church of England was set up in the first place for Christ sake! Why else do you think Henry V111 split from Rome, so that he could divorce and re-marry!

buoy15
14th Feb 2005, 02:05
30 Jan 1659

Bet he wouldn't be too happy either!

Love many, trust a few, Do as I say, not as I do!

gravity victim
14th Feb 2005, 09:08
Charles "Shall be use the bridal suite?'

Camilla; No, darling, I'll just hang onto your ears as usual."

B'dum tish! ;)

500days2do
14th Feb 2005, 10:23
Gone are the days when Kings do kingly deeds.
He has waited 'enough' time for his Grandmother to have settled in her bed,once his mother becomes the next fresh plot he will abdicate handing over to a welcomed William.One who has spent all his life in dead mans shoes has never had a ounce of english in him.Fight for King and country becomes worthless under him...see him for what he really is.. worthless, spoilt and without morals.Republicians will push for change but the alternative doesn't sit well in the stomach.
I'm sure given todays research tools there must be a more worthy family to grace the throne...??

gravity victim
14th Feb 2005, 10:35
translated from Urdu by Google??! :confused:

hyd3failure
14th Feb 2005, 11:52
Whilst in some respect I agree and I am to an extent a republican, I cannot help but feel that if we were abolish the monarchy it would be a devil of a job getting it back. At the end of the day WHY do people want a republic and want to abolish the monarchy? Everyone loved the Queen Mum.....Her Madge the Queen is fab...we like her... The gorgeous Lady Di would have made a brill queen... So, maybe its a case of "wanting a monarchy - BUT not this lot".
Maybe we should reduce the burden on the country by getting rid of a few of the hangers on.
I read in this weekends paper that both Camilla's children will now get an allowance of £60,000 PA from Prince Charles....Scandalous, absolutely scandalous. Well the do-gooders will report that actually the money won't be coming from the public purse as the P.O.W doesn't get any and it will come from his personal coffers..WHAT .....What personal coffers. That bloke hasn't worked a day in his life. He hasn't earned a penny. The income he gets from the Duchy of Cornwall isn't his....it belongs to the Duchy of Cornwall and he just so happens to be wearing that hat at the moment....

So, lets not get rid of the Monarchy...lets keep it BUT lets get rid of the hangers on.... we should introduce an amendment to the monarchy laws stating that there is only allowed to be 4 of them. They can pick and choose which 4 that will be but the rest will have to get a job.

BEagle
14th Feb 2005, 16:02
Right - that's all Highgrove products of my list if the profits are going to keep Scamilla's offspring enjoying £60K each...

Hmm - Sun Headline perhaps? "£120K SCAMILLA!

But please, please, NOT on page 3!

Mad_Mark
15th Feb 2005, 08:47
Gravity Victim:

Charles "Shall be use the bridal suite?'

Camilla; No, darling, I'll just hang onto your ears as usual."

B'dum tish! ;)

Finger - pulse. :rolleyes: :eek: :p

buoy15
15th Feb 2005, 12:25
I have just had a quick look at my Commisioning Warrant, and every reference - from the introduction to the final command - is on behalf of, and in the name of, HM Queen Elizabeth II and not the Crown!

This potential changeover is unique in my lifetime, and I'm sure it is for the majority of Pruners

If, and when, Charlie boy becomes King, there will be a re-print to reflect the wording for King Charles III

So then, will all existing members of the Armed Forces at the time, have to swear a new allegiance to the King, and if so, how many present day objectors to the wedding and the constitutional issues - on these pages and elsewhere - will refuse and leave the Services ?

As I'm not as morally bankrupt as Charles, I would say no and have to go.

Love many, Trust a few, Vote now and join the queue!

hyd3failure
15th Feb 2005, 12:31
Hang on, Hang on,,....Is Charlie boy going to be King? Has Her Madge Kicked the Bucket? I reckon she has got another few years in her yet. Hopefully another 9 years and 5 months...:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

buoy15
15th Feb 2005, 12:37
Hyd3failure

Put you down as a not sure or don't know then ?

An Teallach
15th Feb 2005, 12:51
Buoy15

You swore an oath to Elizabeth II, her heirs and successors. Therefore your principled early exit is a non-stater on that count!

I see that you come from Ecosse, you could try arguing that your original oath was invalid as being made to a non-existant Sovereign. Elizabeth Windsor being the first Queen of Scots or of the United Kingdom of that name.

Apparently on her accession she made reference to a 'new Elizabethan age' and to her illustrious ancestor, Elizabeth I. As Ian Hamilton QC commented: "Descent from a virgin Queen, forsooth. There has been only one other descent like it in history!"

teeteringhead
15th Feb 2005, 13:13
And all the crowns on wings and button will have to change again ... so that boring old f*rts (moi?) can ponce around in "Queen's Wings".... plus ca change...

buoy15
15th Feb 2005, 19:39
An Teal

Yes, Quite.

You are referring to the attestation on joining, the wording of which will also be changed.

I suppose all those years ago. when I attested to "heirs and their successors", I never suspected that the next successor - who is only a few months younger than me - would emulate Henry VIII in most respects.

He has cleverly orchestrated the blessing of his mother, the government, and the leader of the Church of England, to secure his present and comfortable future.

How can he even compare with previous Kings of England?

Richard the Lionheart - No !

Charles 1st - No !

Edward VIII - No !

Even Cromwell had more Street Cred !!

Presently, as future King and Govenor (Desig) of the CofE, he sleeps peacefully at night, with taxpayers money, and no possibility of being sent to the Tower or eventually, the block at Whitehall

Oh, my Kingdom for a horse! Youv'e got one !

Bunker Mentality
15th Feb 2005, 20:40
What a load of sanctimonious twaddle! For goodness' sake, guys, relax.

Our 'constitutional monarchy' may not be perfect, but cost is the last reason for wanting to get rid of it. Just electing a president would consume more cash than the Royal Family do in 5 years.

Surely, while there's no absolute right to happiness, everyone has the right to pursue happiness.

And, for all of you who rail against the head of the CofE being an adulterer - well, how about a bit of Christian charity? Hate the sin, love the sinner?

Love many, trust a few, Bouy15 you make me spew
:yuk:

Note to self - mote - eye - cnut!

ecnalubma
15th Feb 2005, 21:11
Throughout England their are a multitude of frogs breathing a collective sigh of relief.

mightyai24
15th Feb 2005, 22:05
With respect to the CofE issue, believe from the papers that it will be a civil ceremony, which will then be blessed..."in accordance with current Church guidelines".

Personally, I see know problem with it, and while it probably is not ideal for all parties involved (and the uninvolved parties on this thread) I can't see why it shouldn't go ahead. After all, the Queen has given thoe go ahead, and we've all sworn our allegiance..

Day off wouldn't go amiss though!

mai24;)

hyd3failure
15th Feb 2005, 22:07
You swore an oath to Elizabeth II, her heirs and successors
I cant ever remember swearing to an oath.... do the RAF do that? Any AAC fellas remember doing that?

teeteringhead
16th Feb 2005, 07:31
bouy 15 How can he even compare with previous Kings of England?

Richard the Lionheart - No!

Charles 1 - No!

Edward VIII - No! .. so that'll be the choice between the gay one who spent a TOTAL of two weeks in his kingdom during his reign, the one who thought he was so divine that he could cure scrofula (The King's Evil) by touch, or the one with the small willy who was a mate of Adolf's!

Personally I'll settle for Charles III, George VII or King Phillip or Arthur (now there's a thought!), whichever of his names he cares to use.

Long may he reign - although of course it will probably not be very long anyway (if at all - HM is only 22 years older than HRH) - if his mum lasts as long as HER mum...

And just to chuck in another grenade, IIRC the RAF oath was to HM and her "heirs and assigns", so were she (or an heir) to assign the position of Head of State to El Presidente.........

buoy15
16th Feb 2005, 21:25
Fun thread, ageing out now

Fair baiting with some reasonable bites

Thanks guys

Off to Highgrove for a horse-racing night