PDA

View Full Version : can I re-join?

Jeffrobertmarshall
10th Feb 2005, 09:48
To cut a long story short, I was on 209 IOT, as a pilot, thought the RAF wasn't right for me and left. Very much regretting that decision now, does anyone know of the possibility of me re-joining, I'm 24 now so I'm thinking that the possibility of pilot is out?

foldingwings
10th Feb 2005, 10:13
Suggest you ring the OASC casework office on 01400 266717 or 01400 266718. However, bear in mind the following when you speak to them:

VW is a personal decision that you will have been counselled about at each level of the command chain in OACTU and offered the opportunity to change your mind.

The RAF is downsizing and has probably more than enough applicants for pilot, with strong aptitude, and younger than 24 too!

Do your pilot aptitude scores mark you out as a "must have" low-risk option for the RAF?

Also look at it from their point of view and prepare your answers well to:

You were given your chance and you chose to release yourself from it.

What gaurantee has the RAF got that you won't VW again?

Glad to be of help.

littleme
10th Feb 2005, 10:28
Just out of interest, what made you think the RAF wasn't for you at that particular time?

Jeffrobertmarshall
10th Feb 2005, 12:20
Excessive pressure from my girlfriend at the time, saying that it wasn't right etc etc.... put me in a difficult position. Still with same girlfriend but think it's about time I made the decisions.

Sarahs
10th Feb 2005, 12:30
Girlfriends come and go, (harsh, but very true!)

Take note of foldingwings comments and go for it!. Never put anything off, because, at some point we cant always have or get choices to follow dreams.

If you dont try and re-apply you will never know.

santiago15
10th Feb 2005, 13:11
J,

There is a Merlin pilot who left the RAF (early on at Linton) and who rejoined 12 months later. However, they had of course finished IOT and proved (a little) their flying ability at JEFTS.

Best of luck

16 blades
10th Feb 2005, 13:49
Make sure you chin the bird off first. Hassle like that you do not need. If she doesn't understand your need to be in this job, it'll only get worse in the long run. Be a man, and stand up for what YOU want.

Best of luck!

16B

MajorMadMax
10th Feb 2005, 14:25
Concur with 16B, if she wasn't thrilled with the idea of you flying in the military, how do you think she'll react when you are off on detachment/deployment or training for any length of time? Unless you are sure she has changed her ways, you are in for some rough times ahead...

Cheers! M2

Mightycrewseven
10th Feb 2005, 16:31
Jeff

To cut a long story short, I was on 209 IOT, as a pilot

Sorry to clip your wings old chap but you carry a common misconception, like many others do - particularly UAS student officers. You were not on IOT as a pilot. You were on IOT as either an officer cadet or student officer. On successfull completion of IOT you then become a u/t pilot (u/t = under training) until you are presented with your flying brevet THEN you are a pilot.

A plea to all 'aspiring' pilots, remember this when you undergo the Officer and Aircrew Cadet Training course and then professional training:

Please refer to yourselves as 'aspiring pilots' (or similar ilk) and not just 'pilots'. A great many people have worked damn hard to achieve the ultimate ambition of achieving a flying brevet which is a long way off for those that are still under training.

Rant over :E

M7 SENDS

P.S. For those of you that wish to be clever and point out that some 'are' pilots when they start OACTU because, technically, they may have achieved their ppl (through the WoS UAS drinking course) It doesn't count - IT DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE AN RAF PILOT!

Thought to self - wow, I really must get out the office more!

Time Flies
10th Feb 2005, 17:29
Mightycrewseven

Are you a Pilot?

TF

Training Risky
10th Feb 2005, 17:58
On E-Bay, I bought a neat little pair of pilots wings with 'raf' in nice white letters in the middle. I am now a pilot!

:E

Mightycrewseven
10th Feb 2005, 18:01
TF

If I wasn't a pilot would that make me unqualified to have a point of view? :confused:

Over 2 u.

M7 SENDS

ORAC
10th Feb 2005, 18:02
Why are the the bus drivers always so touchy... :hmm:

StopStart
10th Feb 2005, 19:30
I'm a bus driver.

I'm not touchy.

Oh hang on.

Does that me touchy? For saying I'm not touchy?

Damn.

:p

MC7. Blimey. Who cares what they call themselves?? :rolleyes:

BigginAgain
10th Feb 2005, 20:01
JRM

I am not a pilot.

I doubt whether you would get offered another chance as a pilot, but don't let my doubts dissuade you from trying. The OASC will want to know all of the answers suggested earlier, and also what you have been doing in the mean time.

I think it likely that your age will be an issue, along with your previous actions. I suspect that if you are offered anything, it will be on the ground, with some vague promise that once you have proved yourself (shown due remorse!), you may be offered something airborne - by which time you will definitely be too old to go pilot training!

The easy option for OASC would be to offer you Ops Spt (FC), with a line that a subsequent move to the E-3D will give you the opportunity to fly. BEWARE; OASC has no say in who goes on the E-3D, and it looks to me like many of these slots will go to re-trained WSOs over the next few years.

Whatever happens, make sure that you do not allow ANY external influence (short of a death in the family) to impact on your training, either at Cranwell or subsequently ... but I guess you know that now!

BA

PS. Deliverance, I thought we all joined as Commissioned Officers, some of whom were given the enormous additional privilege of pilot training. Your attitude disappoints.

Time Flies
10th Feb 2005, 21:06
M7

No it wouldn't make you unqualified to have a point of view. However it would explain why you are so bothered by this whole thing.

Ask yourself if you are indeed Mighty as advertised and not simply an officer who is training to be Mighty and not yet received your Mighty brevet!

TF

STANDTO
10th Feb 2005, 21:13
get back in to one of the three services to fly, in some form, at any cost. This might be as pilot, nav,wso, loadie, AEO, whatever.

I am sat here tonight, having just dipped a promotion process in an organisation I am more than unhappy with, with limited options. How I WISH, I had perservered.

Don't be sat here in twelve year time.

Ditch the broad. Go with you

Farfrompuken
10th Feb 2005, 21:39
MC7: You seem to be a well balanced chap(ette) with a chip on BOTH shoulders there!

I joined IOT in '96 "as a pilot". I think anyone with half a brain cell understands that no-one, until their wings are confirmed when you're CR on your 1st unit considers themselves fully "a pilot". If, as I stated in my OASC interview, I didn't crack it, I wouldn't be interested.

Wind it in mate.

JRM: Methinks you'll have to have a good reason for your VW. Far better that your bird was giving you a hard time. Try your first tour. You'll get to p1$$ them off good and proper. My wife was a single mother for all but 3-4 months of the year.

The RAF is flush for pukes at the moment due the cutbacks. You'll have to show 110% commitment to convince them you made the wrong descision.

Sorry mate, but times is 'ard at the moment for all of us.

AllTrimDoubt
10th Feb 2005, 21:50
Send the bird here and I'll see if I can put in a word for you...

Jeffrobertmarshall
11th Feb 2005, 08:12
Mightycrewseven, to be honest you comments are completely irrelevant, I am completely aware that I didnt achieve the prestigious honour of wearing my wings, but my flippant comment was meant as a mere simple and straight to the point introduction to my thread. Now it seems t me that you have some outrageous hang up people calling themselves pilots when they are not, frankly I dont care. All I was looking for was a little advice off some willing fellow ppruners, I didnt think I would get a barrage of unhelpful pi$$ because I didnt phrase my post in exactly the right manner. Havent you got anything else better to do? Rhetorical question......... By the way Mightycrewseven, that means you dont have to reply this time!

Thanks to all the uselful advice out there guys, i've got back in touch with OASC and they pointed me in the direction of my local AFCO, spoke to them and no probs to try again and I'm in the lovely OASC selection process again, a bit of Deja vu , so fingers crossed.

Time Flies
11th Feb 2005, 08:20
JRM

Well said! Ignore the useless toss that some people feel impelled to post.

Best of luck with OASC! Don't let them try and put you on the back foot by offering anything other than Pilot. They will certainly try...you watch! If Pilot is all you want then tell them...they've accepted you once they'll take you again.

Regards

TF

onlynavinthevillage
11th Feb 2005, 09:24
If Pilot is all you want then tell them...they've accepted you once they'll take you again.

Im my opinion this is highly unlikely. Pilot training has to be commenced before your 25th birthday. This means AFTER the completion of IOT. Sorry JRM but you have got everything stacked against you. Age, timing (we just dont need that many so can afford to be very selective), and commitment. You let us down once, and yourself for that matter, so any pilot slot will rightly go to someone who seems more determined to grab the chance that many aspire to but few are given.

As to the suggestion of Fighter Controller and the E3D, I think this is also a false dawn. They are a busted flush and they will almost all be replaced with WSOs in the coming years. What else we going to do with all those F3 Navs!

Good luck at OASC and say hello to me when i come to stores for a new blanket next year.

Jeffrobertmarshall
11th Feb 2005, 10:10
Cheers, Think that my chances are slim with getting back in as pilot, but going to apply for flight ops and TO as well (I've got a teaching degree) so might be back for an lovely blanket again in the future. Will have to keep all the fingers and toes crossed!

onlynavinthevillage
11th Feb 2005, 10:18
I think that TO is the way ahead for someone with a teaching degree. You could make a huge difference to a station if you are the proactive type. And sadly gone are the days when you were just left to get on with learning whatever new idea or piece of equipment they had just introduced. Good news for the TO world though.

I would imagine (though not in basic recruitment so dont quote me) that it would look better if you went in with the commitment towards a realistic trade and pleaded your case that you have turned over a new leaf.

So you wont be dishing out blankets, but devising a training syllabus for those that do! Good luck

Jeffrobertmarshall
11th Feb 2005, 10:24
I think if I get to OASC again and thay ask me about teaching and my decision for TO, I'll have a lot more reasons at my disposal to convince them why I want to do it in the raf as I have already done the comparable job in civvy street.
As far as the blanket stacking training........ well I'll have to give that some more thought.

hyd3failure
11th Feb 2005, 10:38
Join the Navy then. We are gagging for Pilots/Aircrew or whatever you wanna call us....AND we'll call youi a pilot from day 1...whether youv'e seen an aircraft or not...In fact the day you join BRNC you will be classified as a pilot.

and there will be no awkward questions as to why you ditched the crabs...

Time Flies
11th Feb 2005, 11:37
I agree with Hyd3 here.

If you really want to fly you shouldn't accept TO or Flt Ops. Maybe the Navy is the best way for you to go to stay in the air.

The last thing you want is to think "what if?" ten years down the line.

You don't have to withdraw your OASC application, simply walk down to the Forces Careers Office and speak to someone in dark blue about going to sit AIB as well.

Good luck

TF

Fg Off Bloggs
11th Feb 2005, 12:57
JRM,

Caution! Don't show all your cards at once! The RAF is very short of JO TOs and will bite your hand off if you proffer it! Keep it up your sleeve and wait until the hangar doors close with you on the outside before you give up on pilot.