PDA

View Full Version : Graphic Card causing 'whiteout' screen ?

whiz
10th Feb 2005, 07:53
I have recently installed a GeForce FX5200 128 Mb graphics card in a HP pavilion computer. I initially had some speed problems with the game I was attempting to play ( Far Cry) so I uninstalled and re-installed the game. On re-installation the pre game screens are perfect, sharpness and colour are great but when I actually start the game and it eventually loads, the screen is a lightblue/white colour, it almost looks like you are under some murky water. I vaguely remember allowing it to select its own display settings, was this a mistake and where can I adjust them ? The book with the card shows various pages that you can access to adjust the display but I cant find them :rolleyes:
Installing this card seems to have slowed everything down, why would that happen ?
Thanks in advance
Whiz
PS The spec on pavilion is CeleronD 330, 256Mb DDR RAM and Im running XP Home

SoftTop
10th Feb 2005, 08:05
Whiz,

you having display problems with any other programs or applications?

I know that Far Cry can be a bit demanding of the graphics card and it may be that you've got settings in FC that are a bit optimistic :cool:

Are you able to access the FC controls? If so, set all the video stuff to minimum and gradually wind them all up to the point where it all goes pear shaped.

FC needs 1 GB of RAM and a beefy graphics card to deliver max performance and if you fall short on either of those basics, AND your settings are overly optimistic that might be the problem.

OK I admit it, just shooting in the dark here, but seems a sensible place to start.:ok:

ST