PDA

View Full Version : Conversion Of Canadian Licence To Irish Equivalent

conorhardiman
9th Feb 2005, 16:09
I have a canadaian commercial licence with Mulit IFR endorsement, with a total of approx 250 hours. I am from Ireland but did my initial training in Vancouver. I have returned home to pursue my career in europe but need to convert my licence. I know that I have to do do three things to achieve this goal. One is the medical, which I have done, second is the 14 exams and finally the flying end of things. What I would really like to find out about is the corresspondance / distance learning course that I need to take. I have enquired with a company called pan aviation in dublin about the course but it costs 4000 euros!! So, I'm looking to find out if there is anywhere else either in or outside of Ireland that I can do that same quality course for a cheaper price. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Conor Hardiman
:D

conor_mc
9th Feb 2005, 16:44
Hi Conor,

As far as I know, you have three options for the theory groundschool - Pan Aviation as mentioned, National Flight Centre at Weston (€2500) or Pilot Training College at Waterford (website says they'll republish their price list this month). Exam fees will be a further €1330 (14 * €95 each). Assuming you stay within the IAA system, my understanding is that you'll have to complete the flight training required for conversion within the IAA system also.

To be honest, you may want to consider doing your conversion within the CAA system - more choice of FTO's, including CAA FTO's in Spain, US, etc.

I suppose you could do the ATPL theory course with Bristol Groundschool for example, (£1900 + 14 * £55 for exams, plus accomodation..???), and then continue your flight training in Ireland, but you will need to get confirmation from the IAA in advance that they'll be willing to recognise your CAA results - I believe this is at the discretion of the IAA.

With regard to course quality, Pan Aviation actually use the Bristol courseware, which seems to get great feedback on this forum (do a search for bristol or bgs). Not too sure which notes PTC or NFC use though.

Either way, best of luck!

Conor eile

darragh_ptc
10th Feb 2005, 09:36
Hello Conor

To answer your queries and elaborate on the further reply above, we provide the ATPL theory course (14 subjects) via distance learning, including full support, from our base in Waterford. The cost is Euro 2500. We also provide conversion flight training from ICAO CPL/IR to JAA (i.e. we can do same for your Canadian licence).

As I don't want to abuse the forum to do too much advertising blurb (!), please contact me for more information at [email protected], and I would be delighted to discuss your training requirements in more detail.

Best wishes, whichever route you take.

Darragh Owens
Business Development Manger
Pilot Training College of Ireland
[email protected]

conorhardiman
10th Feb 2005, 13:49
Darragh And Conor. Many thanks for the information. It is of great help. Darragh, I will be in contact with you shortely in relation to the course. Conor, in relation to completing the course in the UK or Spain, I guess I will have to enquire with the IAA. Whatever the outcome I will keep you all informed of my choice. Regards.

Conor Hardiman

:D

birdlady
10th Feb 2005, 17:12
Hi Conor

As mentioned above check with the IAA before you do the gs through a UK school and make sure whatever they tell you get it in WRITING!!!!!!!! You might find some more info on www.flyinginireland.com - should be able to answer most of your questions.
Ciao :ok: :ok: :ok:

november.sierra
21st Feb 2005, 10:33
The official line from the IAA that I got when asking about doing ground school in the UK was that the IAA only recognises full time classroom based residential courses, based on the fact that this is not available in Ireland. As far as I know, UK distance learning courses are not accepted, but it would probably be easier to clarify this directly with the IAA.