PDA

View Full Version : Aussie ATPL

DeltaSix
9th Feb 2005, 03:12
Would anyone know what the situation is on requirements from overseas job prospects if they would recognize your ATPL subject passes or would they require you to do their own ( e.g. US ATP or Asian carriers ) ?

Thanks

DeltaSix

Wanikiba_pilot
9th Feb 2005, 14:40
D6,

Depends on the country. Most require you jump through their hurdles but your flying hours will count towards the experience required for the licence. Many Pacific countries will honour your licence and issue an equivalent, including ATPL once you have it, you might need to sit a written test (eg Vanuatu). Not sure about Asia. The US want you to sit all written exams and fly the flight tests. Aussi.e ATPL subjects don't amount to a hill of beans to them. If you have done them, then the US ATP written test is easily studied for and completed in less than a week (only one test!).
Where are you thinking of going?
Other things to consider are visa requirements/work permits, medical insurance(especially the Pacific).
Remember, the grass only seems greener...

WP

Sqwark2000
9th Feb 2005, 18:21
Don't know about companies recognising your ATPL theory but even across the ditch in NZ, CAA won't recognise partial licence credits. They will only convert fully issued licences.

I.e turn up in NZ with your OZ CPL plus ATPL theory and all you will get in return is a NZ Cpl with no recognition of the ATPL theory.

S2K

DeltaSix
9th Feb 2005, 22:13
By your responses, it sounds like the ATPL subjects that I have completed and passed wont amount too much wherever I go.

I'm not surprised that it is so.

WP, I was thinking of either going to the U.S. or Asia ( Philippines ) but then as you mentioned work visa will have to be considered amongst others.

Sqwark2000, thanks for warning me, coz NZ was also on my mind.

Thanks guys, but please keep the info coming. My bags are packed and ready.

D6

Tinstaafl
10th Feb 2005, 03:45
As general principle, any country's regulatory authority will only recognise ICAO licences already held for whatever advanced standing they will credit towards gaining a licence in that country. I can't think of any regulatory authority that allows a carry over of another authority's exam passes. Some allow more advanced standing eg Australia currently requires only an air law exam for a foreign pilot to meet the theory exam requirements to convert to the equivalent Oz licence. The US requires you to sit the same, single exam that local pilots must do for the qualification. JAA (& the UK in pre-JAA) times requires much more, but with some exceptions dependent on experience.

Which reminds me, you will also have to meet the minimum experience requirements of the new country for the licence you wish to gain.