PDA

View Full Version : Rant

flydaddy
8th Feb 2005, 12:26
Hi all,
can somebody tell me what RANT is, I take it from reading on here it is some kind of book or similar.
Thanks.
Flydaddy

High Wing Drifter
8th Feb 2005, 12:30
It stands for Radio Aid Navigation Tutor...www.oddsoft.com

buzzc152
8th Feb 2005, 16:33
It's a thing you load on to your PC.... not really a flight sim but it's good for revising instrument stuff.

I must say, I shelled out £90 on the latest RANT for my IR and then hardly used it. I'm sure it will come in usful one day though.

Matron
8th Feb 2005, 19:36
I found RANT to be v useful. Not just for passing the IR (I used to practice all my routes before flying them) but also for ongoing currency.

I consider it money well spent.

Nearly Man
8th Feb 2005, 21:32
Used it loads for practicing holds and hold entry .. really good

Aim High
8th Feb 2005, 21:56
Yes, I recommend RANT XL

It is handy if your instructor is familiar with it as he/she can help teach with it too

Thought it was £70?

BroomstickPilot
9th Feb 2005, 12:44
I bought RANT but formed the view that to use it you really needed to have at least a computer joystick. Something I didn't have at the time.

Perhaps those who have found RANT useful would advise us what additional hardware gizmos they use, or what gizmos they would recommend.

High Wing Drifter
9th Feb 2005, 13:32
Hmmm. I suppose it depends how you approach the problem. I didn't think a joystick was relevant at all, that is for flight sims like Elite, FS etc. I treated a RANT session as purely an instrument interpretation and situational awareness exercise.

flyfish
9th Feb 2005, 13:35
Broomstick
I use rant over some of the other 'sims' on the market because a joystick is not important.
I think the idea is to let you concentrate learning the principles without the added problem of accurate IF flying.