PDA

View Full Version : SOE Lecture Wednesday 16 February

Genghis the Engineer
8th Feb 2005, 09:00
I hope that I'll be forgiven a bit of blatant advertising, on the grounds that it's free and the chap is well worth listening to...

The Royal Aeronautical Society - Oxford Branch

Wednesday 16th February 7.30pm
Oxford University Air Squadron HQ, Falklands House
Oxpens Road, Oxford

“From The Battle of Britain
to SOE … then Stalag Luft III”
Speaker – Wing Commander D H Bernard MBE, Polish Cross of Valour, CEng, RAF(Ret’d)

Dave Bernard Senior had a spectacular series of experiences during WW2. Following an active but unusual role in The Battle of Britain, he was one of the first aircrew to form as part of SOE (What became known as the Tempsford Mob). Shot down in Feb 1941 during ops, he spent the remainder of the war as a POW; he was eventually interned in Stalag Luft 3, at Sagan and took an active part in escape committees, especially manufacturing; he escaped twice. During the Long March he escaped again and fought alongside the Soviet Army, heading West, before being interned in Buchenwald Concentration Camp. He went on to enjoy a full and eventful career in the RAF, retiring in1975

Open to members and non-members
Enquiries and registrations to [email protected] or by calling 01869 336006

Parking at the Oxford Ice Rink just 2 minutes walk to Falklands House
Map Link: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=450699&y=205961&z=0&sv=OX1+1RX&st=2&pc=OX1+1RX&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

Genghis the Engineer
12th Feb 2005, 19:22
Don't come!

I've just heard that Wg.Cdr Bernard has just been taken ill (not too seriously we hope) and is currently in Stoke Mandeville Hospital and unable to give his talk. It doesn't sound too serious, so hopefully we might be able to reschedule for some time in the near future.

After all, if the Gestapo couldn't get him, he's got a fighting chance against the NHS !

G