PDA

View Full Version : Gostner Aviation

flyboyUK2003
8th Feb 2005, 00:09
Hi there,
I'm looking into doing an instructor rating at Gostner Aviation at Camden Airport, and I was just wondering if anyone's heard anything about this school.

Any Info would be appreciated, Cheers in advance :D

Wheeler
12th Feb 2005, 08:04
I did my instructor rating with Joe Gostner at Camden. I can genuinely say it was one of the most enjoyable things I have ever done in aviation. Joe takes a personal interest and tailors your course to you. The training is almost entirely one on one and although sometimes the seemingly never-ending briefings are a bit of a burden, you will learn something every time - and although he can seem a bit pedantic, he will make sure whatever you say to YOUR students is right.

Joe is a very experienced and highly respected Avation Testing Officer for all ratings. I can assure you will always find your flying sequences informative, - and perhaps even entertaining and exciting(!) However, there are a couple of things you do need to watch out for. Firstly, do try to laugh at his jokes. Joe of course, although as Aussie as the next man is of Austrain background and this does become rather 'obvious' at times. Also, don't side track him if you are attempting some minor bull**** to get you out of a hole. Believe me, you will regret it.

I tried a few places when I did my rating. I didn't like the pilot factories at an airfield not too far away from Camden, with Grade 2's overseeing my briefings whom I sometimes thought knew less than me - and in fact were quite often just plain wrong, not mention insensitive to the needs and background of their students, obviously finding all of this rather tiresome, but just dying to get out and into the Red Rat. I also tried the rather pretentious 'we are highly professional and you have to wear pilot's uniform because we are the best and only one step way from the Red Rat" brigade. Just don't believe some of them!

Give Joe a call. (Prepare for a long one!). I promsie you, you won't regret it. If you are about to make a big hole in 10 grand, you have right to expect good value. If you do your rating with Joe, you will get thorough tuition and some very hard work but you will also get a true friend and mentor for life.

Hugh Jarse
13th Feb 2005, 00:53
Have to agree with everything Wheeler wrote. Josef is a good bloke who had a lot of positive influence on my early flying career. Infact he was my first CFI.

He did most of my upgrades and approvals when I was instructing in SY. You know that you will work hard to jump through the hoops, but he will guide you all the way. Plus you'll learn heaps while you're at it...

Just don't go out to do spinning practice when he brings salami sandwiches for lunch (in summer):E :}

Bula
14th Feb 2005, 01:07
unforunatly Joe may not be flying there any more (ask dave, he just bought the company and will know more on Joe's situation.

Good luck....

Just remember I know alot of the schools around Sydney are very quite at the moment. Remember to try to find a place with good prospects for a start and there are enough instructing jobs out there at present that you shoudl not need to put up with 1 or 2 hours a week.. even as a jnr 3.

JohnnyS
15th Feb 2005, 07:20
Joe is still around and part of the deal as far as I have heard.

Some pretty exciting stuff rumoured to be going off there soon. If you fancy 200 knot multi diesels, fadec, glass cockpit etc etc .....:8

TopperHarley
21st Feb 2005, 01:24
If you are after a cheap and easy instructor rating, dont see joe.

Expect to pay a little more than some of the Bankstown "sausage factories" and expect to work A LOT harder.

You may feel like slitting your wrists half way though, but in the end, youll be a MUCH better instructor.

Falcon2000
5th Oct 2005, 15:17
Maybe they're good at instructor's ratings...but how about training for the entire CPL to the Multi IR..? I've heard a lot of people here recommending small country clubs to the larger sausage mills...does Gostner fit the bill here?
I am really one for good quality instruction, even if it means a whole lot of hard work.
Would be great if any one here could put in a word or two of their recent experiences with Gostner...

BTW i have heard they're going on schedule (partially atleast:O ) with the DA42? ...Nice.