PDA

View Full Version : Naples - Sccomodation and Social

oliverpollard
7th Feb 2005, 09:37
Hi
I am intending to go to Naples to complete my PPL in June and wondered if anyone had been there to inform me what the accomodation is like. I am inclined towards School Housing but wanted to know if it was ok (as it is the most basic one). As I am going for a month is this best or is the Wessley Hall recommended.

With regards to the social environment - is it quite social there? Evenings etc.

Finally with regard to the weather - when it is clear is it good flying conditions. I know there is a tendancy for storms most days - but when it is clear are conditions favourable eg wind etc.

Thanks very much

Oli

CAT3C AUTOLAND
7th Feb 2005, 10:32
Mr Pollard,

Hi again. On both occsaions I have stayed in the condo's that NAC have. They are located around 1.5 miles from the airport, which is only a short bike ride away. I would recommend the condo's, they are spacious and there is everything you need there for basic living, including a fridge to keep your icy cold Budweisers in :D. If you do elect to stay in one of the houses or a condo, you will most likely spend your first night in the Wellesley Inn. Its not a bad hotel, however, I am glad I stayed with other students, I am a fairly socialble person and and like to interact. I thought the Wellesley Inn was a little isolated, however, if you want somewhere more quiet to crack on with your studies without any disturbances, it may be the better option.

There is a Publix (Supermarket) just down the road (from the condo's), and you have the use of a rather large pool, which is nice to relax in after a hard day of flying.

With regard to social side of things, I guess it depends on guys and gals who are currently there. Whilst I was there, I shared a Condo with 3 other guys, and we all got on really well, along with the other students at the other houses and condo's. On the weekends most of us including the instructors used to go down to 5th Av which has a few bars with cold beer and some lovely looking females :D. I think the cab ride is about 7 bucks, so its not much between 3 or 4 of you.

With regard to the weather, I think Charlie Zulu has given you some good advice on your other thread. In the summer time in Florida you will get alot of convective cloud forming throughout the day which will lead to heavy showers and thunderstorms. These tend to be isolated and do not last particularly long. As CZ said, the mornings tend to be clear blue skies, where the flying conditions are really quite pleasant. However, as the morning goes on convective cloud will start to form, and even though its no problem, it will start to get very bumpy.

Enjoy your course.

flaps now
7th Feb 2005, 15:24
Hi

I went to NAC in November for my PPL + nights. My intention was to stay in the Condo's for the duration but they were overbooked so spent the whole 4 weeks in the Wellesley Inn.

And very nice it was too. 5th Ave can be a little quiet sometimes but like CAT3C said..If you havent got those exams done before you go then partying will be your lowest of priorities.

Good Luck, have fun and I hope you like cats!!

jimbo jet set
7th Feb 2005, 19:14
oliver,
did my PPL there last year. The Wellesley is okay but very isolated ( i spent a week there waiting to get into a condo), and will work out more expensive for a month.

The condo was nice and spacious and had everything you will need, and will be a lot more sociable.

I would strongly reccomend the condo option.

Jimbo;)

Platinum206
9th Feb 2005, 01:29
Hi Oliver,

As I write this i am in my room at the Wellesley Hotel in Naples. I opted for the hotel because i have to do all the exams whilst i am here, and wanted the privacy of a room to myself to be able to study. I would have like to stay in the condo's as I have seen them and they are really nice, basic but spacious, clean and well maintained.

The hotel is only a ten minute walk from the downtown area of 5th ave. Naples social life is not bad, theres a few good places downtown, Yabba's and an grat irish bar, Paddy Murphys, which has live music and gets fairly busy most nights, especially weekends. Not a whole lot of young people around though, it's mostly older retired people, not all though of course!

I'm only here a week, got ten 11hours up, two exams passed and well on my way. Here for five weeks so should get everything done in time. (JAA PPL)

It really is a great place, you'll meet loadsa people from all over the world, mostly europe, and the school itself is great, instructors are really professional, but young enough to make it fun and enjoyable.

Feel free to contact me if you wanna ask anything else, i was in your position only a short while ago and know exactly what your going through!

P206

Charlie Zulu
9th Feb 2005, 06:50
Stayed at the Wellesley on two seperate occassions now, July in 2003 and 2004.

The hotel is nice, excellent value for money, especially in the summer as its their "off" season and students get a really good deal. Breakfast is basically buns and coffee.

The hotel itself is a ten minute walk or a fifteen minute stagger depending on how much you drink down at Paddy Murphy's or Yabba's.

For steak go to Yabba's - gorgeous!!! Otherwise Tin City has some nice restaurants - just across the bridge and to the left. Its built on stilts over the water.

Although I haven't stayeda the condo's, I have been to them and they are basic but very spacious and comfortable. They have their own washing facilities for your clothes so no trips down to the launderette required unlike those at the Wellesley.

The Wellesley has a small but nice swimming pool out the back.

Platinum206

Just a quick tip unless you've worked it out already... Domino's will deliver Pizza directly to your hotel room!!! Very handy for those late night study sessions... :D

I fear I'm going to be eating a few of those when I'm staying at the Wellesley during the evenings whilst on the ATPL brush up course in July.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

raceeend
9th Feb 2005, 13:50
Charlie Zulu ,

I will be there from April until August to do the residential ATPL, Could you by any chance tell me the deal one could get during the summer at the Wellesley?

What amounts of money are we talking about? I'm trying to find out what to do with the housing, School Condo, Wellesley or rent an appartement together with another student somewhere in Naples.

Does anyone know what is the best/economic thing to do?

Greetings From Amsterdam the Netherlands

:D André:D

Charlie Zulu
9th Feb 2005, 14:06
Hi Andre,

Its the one that is advertised on the NAC website... last year it was $33 a night which works out pretty good compared to the UK Pound.

During the winter (Jan to April) it is double the price if I remember correctly.

Still more expensive than the condo's but for studying purposes I think I'd prefer the Wellesley.

Not sure what their policy in regards to the maximum stay limit though. You'd need to check that.

Best wishes,

Richard.

Platinum206
9th Feb 2005, 15:19
AS far as i'm aware my nightly rate is $55 which works out not cheap at all, but agin as already mentioned is very handy for the study.
Maybe because it's busier now, I'l have to check taht one out

CharlieZulu,

I've found Roma Pizza down the road a little have great pizza too, must give dominos a shout too though.

P206

spitfire747
9th Feb 2005, 19:19
Oli, check your PMs.. Spit:ok:

ikea
13th Feb 2005, 12:39
have any of you guys stayed in pther accommodation? For example with a local, or shared a local appartment (not the NAC Condos) with other studetns?

NAC website says it is around $100/week, slightly cheaper than the NAC Condos

AndyDRHuddleston
13th Feb 2005, 15:32
There are lots of other places to rent privately. These are all advertised in the daily newspaper, which also can be found at www.naplesnews.com. When I arrived back in September 04, I stayed at the Wellesey for 2 weeks while I sorted myself with a car, with the school, and got a general feel for the area.

After a few let downs, I finally managed to rent a large 2 bed / 2 bath apartment 10 mins from the airport for $950 per month exc electric (6 month rental). This apartment is fully furnished, has everthing you would need and comes with 6 tennis courts and a very big swimming pool. Only downside is that it is a kind of retirement village! :)

.......so it can be done far cheaper if you take the time and look around, all depends on how long your staying I guess.

Andy

raceeend
13th Feb 2005, 19:14
Dear fellow Ppruners,

I'm wondering if anybody could give me some good info about what they have paid in total for housing, a car, car insurance and so on, while studying at Naples.

I already found the advertises on www.rent.com.

Would be happy to read about that, I will be there for 3,5 months.

Greetings

:D André :D

AndyDRHuddleston
13th Feb 2005, 21:27
Andre,

Here is a quick run down of how much my stay has cost me so far:

-1997 Olsmobile Achieva 66K miles $3000
-12 months car insurance $900 (26 yr old driver - State Farm insurance - basic policy)
-Fuel is around $1.97 per gallon - costs me $20 per 2 weeks!
-Accomodation is as I wrote above $950 per month fully furnished exc electric and broadband internet.
-Shopping - I use Albertsons on US41, weekly shopping for 2 people generally $85.
-Night out on the ale down on 5th street approx $50
-Puch bike can be bought at Walmart for around $100, although you really do need a car if you wanting to get about!
-Taxi to NAC from the Wellesley is about $6 + tip.

Hope this help Andre.

Andy

raceeend
13th Feb 2005, 21:59
Thank's Andy,

That is the kind of information I was looking for:D I guess if I realy do my best I wil be able to do it even een bit cheaper;)

Might not be as comfortable as you have been there but not to much.

What did you do with the car after you finished? did you get to sell it for a good price?

I will be there for 3 months, hope it is possible to rent an appartement together with another student.

Did you get an american driving licence? I heard it saves a big amount in ensurance.

Thanks for the info! If somebody else has more info or better deals? please post them, I'm sure I'm not the only one whose searching!

Greetings

oliverpollard
14th Feb 2005, 11:54
Thanks everyone for your messages
Much appreciated
oli

raceeend
15th Feb 2005, 17:26
As I'm preparing for going to Naples, Please keep the info/stories coming.

I would like to know what to expect!!!

flighttime2.0
16th Feb 2005, 11:38
Hay Andy

You spend $50 In the bar on a saturday night !!! I don't think so . We were sick of buying the drink for you .

SmilingKnifed
16th Feb 2005, 16:31
Agreed, tight scouse git!

In seriousness, it's worth having a glance around for private rental housing. A couple of us were able to get into a fantastic place (big screen TVs, indoor pool etc) for less than a lot of guys pay to live apartments.:ok:

raceeend
17th Feb 2005, 11:03
SmilingKnifed,

Could you please Post/send the name or adress of the company or place where you found this accomodation? Would be nice to know, could save us a lot of work and time wich we could spend again on learning the ATPL :-) (not for drinking beer of course) :D

SmilingKnifed
17th Feb 2005, 17:50
Er, I chatted her up in a bar. :\

raceeend
17th Feb 2005, 20:23
SmilingKnifed,

That's the way a real MAN does it! i dont't know if I can do that, since my gilfriend wil come over to visit me :D

SmilingKnifed
17th Feb 2005, 20:56
All above board I hasten to add! ;)