PDA

View Full Version : BIG MEETING IN MoD?

MaroonMan4
5th Feb 2005, 17:40
So can someone help me out here. Apparently there was a recent big meeting within the MoD to discuss some of the key issues across all three Services and included representation from CNS,CGS,CAS and of course CDS.

There are rumours whizzing around of all natures that are now down at the Sqn level. The rumours include massive reductions in flying hours, cancellation of exercises, earlier drawdown of aircraft than previously announced in last years Defence cuts and even the removal of whole Sqns.

Firstly I am surprised that our lords and masters have not provided a formal brief to those under their command on the outcome of their decisions (and rather opt for the popular method of 'leaking' information so as to soften the blow of the decisions that could be construed as yet another Defence cut) and secondly, if these rumours are true, then that must surely be it - we (those of us that are totally exhausted with operations and training for operations) have nothing more to give and are already under resourced with daily military life nearly farcical.

So does anyone know anything?Have the journos used the Freedom of Information Act to review the minutes?

Si Clik
5th Feb 2005, 19:41
Well not to blow the wind from your sails,

Defence Acquisitions Board probably includes all the above, plus some nice CCs and meets on a fairly regular basis so not particularly unusual.

Or maybe the Defence Council - details very similar.

Oh and its AFPRB time aswell.

Still this is a rumour board.

Oh FOI has a 28 day turnaround so we'll all know the blurb by the time any journo gets it.

:hmm:

Captain Kirk
5th Feb 2005, 22:16
What? A meeting within the MoD! To discuss key issues across all three Services!

Whatever next?!

Representation from CNS,CGS,CAS and of course CDS?

Hmmm, let's try Google...and....

http://www.mod.uk/aboutus/dmb/management.htm

Beam me up...:ok:

hyd3failure
5th Feb 2005, 22:24
massive reductions in flying hours, cancellation of exercises, earlier drawdown of aircraft than previously announced in last years Defence cuts and even the removal of whole Sqns. Yeah right - Very funny!!!!

Like that would be something new.

Impiger
6th Feb 2005, 11:51
Defence Management Board (DMB) met last week of January - as they tend to do every month. Discussed the budget - as they tend to do every month - the clue is in the title.

JessTheDog
6th Feb 2005, 11:55
The arrangements and possibly an agenda for the meeting will in all likelihood be somewhere on MODWeb (or whatever it is now).

MaroonMan4
6th Feb 2005, 13:33
Thanks,

Defence Management Board (DMB)-now thoroughly educated.Despite the promptness of reply by some corners, the Master Question has not been answered.

What was discussed and why is 'scuttlebuck rumour' replacing official command briefings? And yes we are becoming numbed by the repetitive reduction in resources, but apparently (if the rumour is right - and forgive me, this is a rumour network isn't it) then we are not just talking the usual bean counters annual cut in flying hours, we are talking massive cuts (to the degree where pilots will be told to go uncurrent and backfill shortage areas). Whole fleets of ships in port as they save money tied up and where previously unnannounced squadrons will be mothballed (across the RN/Army's Lynx fleet is the rumour) and where the drawdown of the F3 Sqns will be significantly accelerated sooner than the timeline given in last years cuts.

So yes, the DMB may sit regularly, but why on this occasion are rumours hitting the frontline if it was just another routine get together? I hasten to add, these are rumours and I certainly do not know if true or false, but what worries me is it is unusual for people at the very bottom of the pile to be talking about such big issues without some truth - as we normally find on PPRUNE, rarely is there a total 'red herring' when it comes to this kind of stuff and personally speaking I believe that (if these rumours are true) it is being leaked to soften the blow than yet another 'damaging' announcement in Parliament.

But its okay, I will now go with the flow and accept that it was all routine, nothing to see here and just move along....

santiago15
6th Feb 2005, 15:36
Slight aside:

Anybody know when the AFPRB are due to publish their report for '05?

Fg Off Bloggs
6th Feb 2005, 21:00
Santiago

In about 2 weeks!

Si Clik

20 days for FOI, old chap!

MaroonMan

How the hell do you expect anyone on here to know (or wish to expose) the detail of what goes on in MOD?

Do you imagine that CGS and his cronies subscribe to PPRuNE?

Do you really think that they would divulge the inner thought processes here?

You must surely be a member of the scumbag press, so Sod off!

By the way, it's scuttlebut! So use the correct terminology if you want to pry, in future!

CGS

If you're there, Sir, Good Evening!

FJJP
6th Feb 2005, 21:28
Fg Off Bloggs - I couldn't agree more about MaroonMan.

He's got press written all over him...

This is a phishing exercise if ever there was one. Maybe if we ignore him, he'll go away.

Si Clik
7th Feb 2005, 07:38
Fg Off Bloggs,

That is of course 20 working days plus weekends so therefore 28 is probably factually correct if not iaw the regs.

FOI requests can of course be refused and subject to appeal - so in this cas about 2 years then.

:D

chippy63
7th Feb 2005, 18:54
Thank you,Bloggs, carry on, in fact, take the rest of the day orf!:ok:

MaroonMan4
11th Feb 2005, 09:14
Bloggs and FJJP

Oh please stop being sooooo dramatic you luvvies. I have been called lots of things in my career but press is most certainly not one of them!

My post was not aimed at the Strategic CGS level but at our crewroom level....numbnuts! You know the kind of 'yeah mate, we had heard something similar in our crewroom' kind of post. (however, I hadn't heard of the DMB so have considered myself educated).

However, I do have a genuine concern that we are being reduced in resources by stealth to avoid political/media attention (that was my comment-worth absolutely nothing to any pundit/fleet street hack).

To be honest (and it has been long overdue), I am out of here as I have just read the post about the MoD admitting liaibility over the death of the Tankie during Telic as he was forced to handover his body armour. We no longer have a moral component to a fighting force-it has been eroded beyond all belief. This leaves physical equipment that is being salami sliced by the day. Which leaves a whole Military taken on risk.

FRI 2 hasn't outweighed this risk and loss of moral component for me, where as the last few pages of Flight International have.

Byeeee, it was fun.

And Bloggsy, don't jump down everyone's throat mate - chill, you will lose too many heartbeats over issues that really don't give a t0ss and you and I are powerless to change.