PDA

View Full Version : The allusive Charter or Scenic Job????

PLT747
5th Feb 2005, 07:17
My name is Trevor,

Just like every commercial pilot with his 250 total time and multi CIR, I am now looking for work!

Does any one have any advise for me to break into OUR beloved aviation industry.
*Should i do my instructor rating?? it appears that with it u are MUCH more employable.........my problem is i would be a great instructor but i dont want to instruct to get my hours. I am studying at a Certain :mad:HunterValleyAviation:mad: company and the instructors do not seem to be loving what they are doing! I love flying and they give me the impression that instructing is not the lovable career they though it was.

*Are there jobs there for me? (other than ag flying - Which my mother forbid me to do and she payed my bills so i have to honour her single request)

Im hard working and as i said i love what im doing so if anyone would be able to forward me any current jobs or up comming jobs i would be very greatful! I will move anywhere!

Also if there is a member out there that is in the possition of employing pilots would you be able to give me any advise to make me more employable?
I will have about 250 hours *CIR *CPL *Acro and emergency endorcements

IS NOT DOING MY INSTRUCTOR RATING SMART????

Any reply with advise or jobs will be really appreciated!
Trevor T

mattyj
5th Feb 2005, 07:51
Ah let me do some mental gymnastics..

If you were say..21 years old and you did an instructors rating with a busy school you might probably get a goodish comuter turbine type job by age..oh 26, 27 say.

However...if you choose the other path..like me..and take the odd job, Para dropping..some P135, scenics for friends and relatives and working a real job 9 to 5 until you get a ride in a light twin somewhere (remember, eventually everyone gets an opportunity somewhere, sometime) flying night freight or medivac or something..you would be..31 with a wife at home to think about....
..like me.

Still flyings great and if you've got the bug you will never regret it

:ok:

DUXNUTZ
6th Feb 2005, 05:55
Maaate!

I know all-to-well the company you are with in the lovely Hunter ( I trained with them!)...

The Instructor route is the popular route, although it is a well beaten path so there is competition for jobs. This school does have an admirable habit of hiring alot of previous people that have gone through their instructor course. If instructing is what you want to do then yes by all means do it.

Be warned though that instructing is not an immediate quick step up into Heavy Metal. You have to go through the hoops and wait in many cases a few years to get senior enough to get to teach on the twin and get those valuable multi hours. Most schools have a maximum of 3 twins so there is heavy competition for this.

Instead of instructing you could save your money, buy a baron or Pa-31 endorsement with a lil icus thrown in and then head north and try to get a charter job. If you do this do your research on charter companies and do it well. Look at companies that operate singles and twins so you have something to step up to.

I'd recommend the charter route as it can be very demanding lifestyle wise, but the time is all honest single pilot hand flying (with less ground hog day than instructing) and your guaranteed to never forget the time spent out in the sticks. It helps if your extemely easy going, preferably young (or at heart), are willing to literally donate blood, sweat and tears to your profession and have a thirst for adventure.

Either route your going to struggle financially but if you ask most of the instructors i'm willing to be they'd snap up a charter job if one was offered to them. Quite a few guys and gals from your school have gotten the golden call from the rat so it is a tough call but at least the charter option progresses you into better and better GA equipment if you persevere.

And finally your not likely going to get quite as close to our lovely indigenous brothers and sisters if you instruct out at bankstown.......

cheers!

-Nutz