PDA

View Full Version : Hoping for realistic example ATC directions out of EGSS Stansted...

AirToob
4th Feb 2005, 16:16
If any kind person could help...

I am only a sim pilot, but trying to follow a reasonably realistic simulated flight out of Stansted, heading for Ajaccio in Corsica.

I have printed out various EGSS charts from the UK AIP, including noise routings and several SIDs.

I am not sure how realistic FS2004 is... it often doesn't seem to be... so I have a couple of questions...

For this particular route, which SID or SIDs could I actually be assigned? I am guessing Lambourne, Lydd or possibly Dover.

For a SID that I might actually be assigned, what sequence of ATC instructions might I really receive (heading/altitude changes), and at what points might I receive them?

I appreciate that "it depends..." might be part of the answer, but if anyone can sketch me out just one realistic scenario I would really appreciate it.

MTIA

jabberwok
4th Feb 2005, 18:15
This isn't the easy question it used to be.

In earlier days European airspace was not so strongly regulated and a flight to Ajaccio could follow a variety of airways routes - the choice being that of the company itself.

Nowadays with IFPS, CFMU etc etc traffic flows are a bit more complex and companies have to check the ANM's and Traffic Orientation Schemes to find valid routes to their destinations.

Trying to mimic this in FS would be a commendable idea but not one that I would think of as fun.

There is help however. Try plugging in the route in Routefinder (http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/) and see what it throws up. I have just tried it and it came back with

EGSS SID LYD UG27 HAWKE UN615 XAMAB UL612 RBT UM728 DIVUL UM733 MERLU UM622 LONSU STAR LFKJ

It says the system is updated to AIRAC Cycle 0501 so I am assuming this is a reasonably accurate route for current conditions. Tempting to bang it into the IFPS computer but I won't :)

As to whether FS2004 is accurate or not depends on which aspect you are looking at. The default ATC is very crude and not at all similar to real life but it's still in its infancy and I am sure it will get better with future versions. Aircraft performance and systems are very much dependant on individual design - some quite good, some awful.

FS2004's weather is streets ahead of any earlier version ad the ability to have current weather from METAR's makes interesting flying. It's still a fun simulation though - getting quite good but only bordering on any real world action.

For SID departures your "it depends" statement is indeed the caveat. Higher levels can be issued at any part of the procedure and I once had a direct vector to the end point of the SID just after we got the wheels up. A SID is a means of regulating traffic in a busy area and if it is quiet ATC often assist by giving a more expeditious clearance.

jb

AirToob
5th Feb 2005, 09:12
Thanks a lot for your helpful reply, including the routefinder link.

On studying the SIDs more closely, I notice a panel "Airway Route" in the bottom right hand corner of each chart. The one for Lambourne says "For landing at Heathrow only" whereas the Dover SIDs indicate a number of other routes. This looks like answering my question about which SIDs I could actually get assigned. G27 is indicated for LYD, which is consistent with the route you threw up for me. I'm not familiar yet with how routes are designated in Europe (e.g. what's the difference between G27 and UG27), but I'm prepared to study! If you know of a good reference site that explains the European routing system(s) I'd appreciate it, but I'm sure I can find one.

As far as FS2004 realism is concerned, I was only referring to some aspects of ATC. Since FS2002 I have been really impressed with the Microsoft flight sim. In fact, I provide a free resource to FS2002/FS2004 flight simmers at:

http://www.tooby.demon.co.uk/FS2002/FS2002_Assistant.html

Many thanks again.