PDA

View Full Version : PC will not shut down!

nimrod
4th Feb 2005, 08:52
Hi Folks

I'm using a Windows ME PC. Problem is it will not shut down. Indications are:

Icons go and left with blank (blue) screen.
On using Ctrl-Alt-Del the only program running is Rundl32.

I have checked for viruses and spam using various programs.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful. Its a pain in the ass having to allow scandisk to run on every start up.

Thank you

Fujiflyer
4th Feb 2005, 11:07
Sorry I cannot offer any useful advice as such but I used to get the same problem frequently (daily) with ME. I never knew what caused it but run XP now so its no longer a problem.

Fuji

ck4707
4th Feb 2005, 11:54
seem to remember damaged sound files can cause this, fix as follows

Determine if the shutdown problem is caused by a damaged exit sound file:
a. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Sounds and Multimedia.
b. Record the name and location of the Exit Windows sound, click Exit Windows in the Sound Events box, and then click None in the Name box.
c. Click OK, and then restart your computer.

Test to determine if the issue is resolved by restarting your computer. If your computer does not shut down correctly, repeat steps A though C, but restore your original Exit Windows sound in step B, and then continue with step 5. If the issue is resolved, your Exit Windows sound file is damaged and must be replaced. To replace the sound file, restore the file from a backup, or reinstall the program that provided the sound file.

This is taken from a Microsoft support article rest
here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;273746) if this does not fix it.

Hope this helps

CK

Stripholderloader
4th Feb 2005, 12:13
Try uninstalling your printer, then shut down / turn off the computer. Turn it back on........then go through your normal shutdown proceedure.......hopefully this will have fixed the problem and you can now reinstall your printer again.
Regards
SHL