PDA

View Full Version : Dme Gps Arrivals

downwind
4th Feb 2005, 08:28
G'day guys

1. In ATC page 706 for jepps, para 1.9.5.5, para 1 by day scenario, minimum altitude requirements, it states that: "for an IFR flight, remain not less than 500 ft above the lower limit of the CTA"
And for the night scenario: para b: no.1 "maintain an altitude not less than the route segment LSALT/MSA or the appropriate step of the DME/GPS arrival procedure, or 500 ft above the lower limit of the CTA, ***IF THIS IS HIGHER***"

The question is if we operate an IFR flight into places such as Albury, Tamworth, Hobart, Launceston etc... by night does the 500 ft above the lower limit of CTA if this is higher than the steps of the GPS/DME arrival, still apply since tower has gone home and the controlled airspace by tower is gone and reverts to a MBZ, how does CASA interpret this rule??? ie from the ERSA "outside tower hrs Albury class D & E airspace 8500FT AMSL & BLW reclassified class G"

2. Reference instrument rating flight test report, in flight examination item no. 34, "NDB ident monitored during approach".

When you are performing a DME/GPS approach using the NDB as the azimuthal aid for tracking on a practice or real IMC approach what is CASA's view of monitoring the ident whilst executing the arrival? do we have the morse ident on to tune, test and ident and then turn it off, or leave it on for the entire GPS/DME arrival?

Thanks

DW.

:O

Zhaadum
4th Feb 2005, 08:57
Practical answers for you to consider;

1. If Tower CTR is inactive (MBZ) then CTA does not exist so lower limit is as per DME/GPS arrival steps.

2. If NDB is the azimuth aid being used you must have the ident monitored as you have no other means of detecting a failure of the aid. If VOR as azimuth aid, you have the fail flag so ident need not be monitored, but you can if you wish I suppose.

Cheers,

Zhaadum :ok:

chief wiggum
4th Feb 2005, 10:44
...or 500 ft above the lower limit of the CTA,...

and

from the ERSA "outside tower hrs Albury class D & E airspace 8500FT AMSL & BLW reclassified class G"

I think that you have answered your own question here, as Zhaadum has already pointed out!

Another question for you.... If you are using the NDB for azimuth guidance, and you are using it and PAST the IAFon a DME/GPS arival, can you now log this for NDB currency ?

ITCZ
5th Feb 2005, 02:05
Another question for you.... If you are using the NDB for azimuth guidance, and you are using it and PAST the IAFon a DME/GPS arival, can you now log this for NDB currency ?

No. They are different procedures and are thus listed as separate endorsements on your IR issue/renewal.

Mr Z, interesting question...

Normally I conduct DGA's with the NDB audio off after I ident it as an azimuth aid. I've never been chipped about it thus far

My thinking being that the primary defence against flying myself into terra firma is the range/distance information. Lose the DME readout and seeing dashes instead.... thats when i give it away!

But now I'm thinking that if I was using an NDB bearing to keep me in a sector for a DGA into Launy etc, I'd want to be sure that I was in the sector!