PDA

View Full Version : A330 wing

Freddy Fudpucker
4th Feb 2005, 03:40
After an explanation as to why the a330 wing appears as a "gull wing". i.e. when viewed from front on, it dips inward and down near the fuselage. Is it for Mcrit considerations or to alleviate nose up stall tendencies. Help

Volume
4th Feb 2005, 05:48
I think it is simply to allow installation of a large diameter engine to the wing with the shortest possible landing gear design.

VRThomas
4th Feb 2005, 15:31
Well now that's an interesting comment.

Which came first, form or function?

How does this design effect the characteristics of the wing?

There certainly have been aircraft of yore that have had the "gull wing" shape but was it for performance considerations or practical mechanics?

VRT

minibus3
4th Feb 2005, 19:30
I believe this is for aerodynamic considerations - called "drop nose" technology. Basically means that less flap/flap effect is required.

I'm prepared to stand corrected though!

Regards

CV880
6th Feb 2005, 03:51
I recall reading a McDonnell Douglas publication (Know Your DC10?) explaining the decidely gull wing apearance of a DC10 wing when viewed from the rear as being entirely due to landing gear considerations ie. trying to reduce the length of the main gear by getting the structural attachment points as close to the ground as possible to save weight and to reduce the length and volume of the space required to hold the retracted gear. Some aircraft eg. A330/340 and DC10 have a distinct "bend" in the inboard rear spar giving a gull wing effect whereas others (747, L1011) have a more blended transition.

Feather Boa
6th Feb 2005, 06:22
..Because it looks good!

VRThomas
6th Feb 2005, 16:03
Now I am certainly NO engineer but could the gussetting of the spar allow use of lighter material while still maintaining its loading strength??

VRT