PDA

View Full Version : Two of RAF Coltishall's four squadrons will cease to exist next month

Razor61
4th Feb 2005, 02:36
From the Eastern Daily Press (http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/News/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=edponline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED02%20Feb%202005%2019%3A40%3A43%3A473)

Two of RAF Coltishall's four squadrons will cease to exist next month after
the largest ceremony of its kind in RAF history.

A third squadron will be disbanded in a little over a year, but the remain-
ing squadron, the longest serving in RAF history, has been given a predicted
reprieve and will continue into the future at a base in Lincolnshire.

One of disbanded squadrons will maintain its Norfolk links by "laying up"
its standard in Norwich Cathedral.

Details of the first tranche in the much publicised closure _ or 'draw down'
_ of the historic base were given by RAF bosses yesterday.

It was announced in July that the biggest military shake up for a generation
would see the base closed by the end of 2006, after more than 60 years.
Defence cuts will also see Coltishall's famous Jaguars pensioned off by 2007
and replaced with the Typhoon Eurofighter.

Fears that the disbanding would see half of the base's 1500 personnel moved
out overnight have been scotched.

A few dozen will leave the base, but the majority will be "re-brigaded" _ or
dispersed _ into the remaining squadrons.

The draw down process will start visibly on March 11, when 16 and 54
squadrons will be disbanded at a special parade held at the base.
The event will feature a visit from the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshall Sir
Jock Stirrup, a parade of more than 450 Coltishall personnel and a flypast
and display from the Red Arrows.

Sir Jock, a former Jaguar pilot, will inspect and address the disbanding
squadrons.

Yesterday, the base's community relations officer Mick Jennings said the
event would be "the biggest disbandment parade held in RAF history and the
biggest parade of any sort held on a station since the 1950s".

He said a host of guests and former members of the two disbanded squadrons
had been invited to the parade.

Mr Jennings also outlined plans for March 12 and 13. The Saturday will see a
family day held at the base to mark the disbandments.

This will see displays featuring aircraft that have been based at Colt-
ishall, including Spitfires, Hunters, Hawks and Jaguars.

On the Sunday, staff from 54 Squadron will be at Norwich Cathedral to hand
their standard over. Mr Jennings said the standard would be "blessed and
handed over to the cathedral for safe keeping".

whowhenwhy
4th Feb 2005, 06:49
Very sad times. With the continuing drawdown these are sqn numbers that we'll never see again.

Thanks for the memories 54!:ok:

ORAC
4th Feb 2005, 06:53
Including Spitfires, Hunters, Hawks and Jaguars. But no Lightning... :(

hairyclameater
4th Feb 2005, 08:00
Including Spitfires, Hunters, Hawks and Jaguars. But no Lightning...

Or Javelin or Meteor!!!........

crossbow
4th Feb 2005, 08:09
Ditto those sentiments. Sad Sad day. Great Great memories

onlyme
4th Feb 2005, 08:35
Happy days on 54. The memories will live with me forever.

lasernigel
4th Feb 2005, 09:58
Fondly remember my first ATC camp at Coltishall in1965 when it was if memory serves me well 226 OCU on T4 Lightnings.The first time I saw one doing circuits and going straight up was a sight and sound that you never forget.Oh not forgetting the overnight camp in a field near Cromer and my RAF swimming test.Sad times but happy thoughts.:ok:

Razor61
4th Feb 2005, 14:05
I Expect a few will disagree but i think it is still the best looking fast jet around (looking at it from the front)....!

littleme
4th Feb 2005, 14:45
Also remember an ATC Camp at Colt. back in 1999 - had a complete blast all week. Made my day when I got to taxi a Jag out! Such a great place & great people. What a waste. So sad to see it go. :(

crossbow
4th Feb 2005, 14:53
I would have to agree with Razor althought the T1 is not far off it

L-H
4th Feb 2005, 15:32
3 tours at Colt, the last on 54(F). Left the sqn in Oct, a sad day for me then, and again in Dec when I left the service. An even sadder one to come in March! Audax.

"And welcome home sir, undercarriage lever a little sticky was it?"

joe2812
4th Feb 2005, 18:21
Colt is my local base, dad served there a few times, sad sad day seeing the Sqns go. :(

red 5
4th Feb 2005, 21:12
Really nice to see a jag fying around wyton today, super low pass down the runway. Lets have some more please.

Skeleton
4th Feb 2005, 23:13
When I joined up the Jag was the new kid on the block, I watched the baby grow gracefully into the lady she is today.

As a mere Ops man long before the days where back seats were banned for us mere mortals, I flew lots of back seats and loved every minute. The first with the man who became Mr Jag Man GW1, and the last with a vertically challenged Scotsman who it was rumoured hid a cushion under his flying suit so he could see out!! I even did the Jag display albeit at 7,000ft.

I am not a pilot so I can't comment on small engines, and a high workload cockpit that in early life had the pilot looking heads down at the nav kit controller way to much, but I will say the pilots i knew loved the jet, including an ex-lightning 1,000 hr man - high praise indeed.

Its sad to see her going, very sad and it makes me wonder where the last 25 or so years have gone. Im just glad I have left before her demise, I hope her passing is treated with the respect she has earned and deserves.

sob :(

28 Ft Wingspan
5th Feb 2005, 09:21
My pleasure Red 5 - brotherly love provoked the PD to Wyton.

Point of order - it wasn't a low flypast, it was an overshoot! She just takes a while to accelerate you know.

Hueymeister
5th Feb 2005, 09:39
Sad times....I flew with 54 as a Space Cadet in 1996, my first FJ Flight....my grandfather was the Officers`Mess Barman for 30 years at Colt...he still lives in the area...must try and get an invite for him to the closing ceremony at Colt...any ideas?

SirToppamHat
5th Feb 2005, 09:46
I understand from a mate that the Army have their eyes on Colt as home for several infantry thingies. There goes the neighbourhood ;). Loads of hardstanding for MT and drill, and cr@p SLA to boot!

If this is true, presumably, one of the major arguments for closing Neatishead has just disappeared?

Will miss the Jags though; there's nothing quite like a bit of heaters-only DACT againt F3s, first names on the R/T, and coming out the winners!

Phil Sparks
5th Feb 2005, 17:48
Huey

Easiest way is to get an invite is to drop a line to OC 54. Send a pm for further details.

Phil Sparks

PS. Milli - you've been rumbled

UpShutter
5th Feb 2005, 19:34
54 Squadron seem to be using up spare paint to mark the disbandment in style:cool:

ARTF for a recent deployment to Norway:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/MikePix/Coltishall-Vistors/JaguarColtishallXX720-6.jpg

And a fitting reminder to anyone watching that they were just denied 90 years of service:*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/MikePix/Coltishall-Vistors/JaguarColtishallXZ112-6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/MikePix/Coltishall-Vistors/JaguarColtishallXZ112-Tail.jpg

BigginAgain
5th Feb 2005, 19:54
Nice pictures UpShutter. Anyone tell what that stuff is coming out of a pipe at the base of the rudder in the last photo?

BA

ORAC
5th Feb 2005, 20:21
Tears

Rhino power
5th Feb 2005, 21:41
Why is it that Jags vent fuel when running the engines up prior to take-off?, don't T.4s vent even more than the GR.3s?

Regards, RP.

Captain Kirk
5th Feb 2005, 22:37
Great Station. Great Sqn. Great jet.

If you want a taste of 54's illustrious history - get hold of '9 Lives' by Al Deer. Awesome.

Gainesy
6th Feb 2005, 07:10
Wasn't 54 the top scoring squadron in the Battle of Britain? Shame on the Airships.

L-H
6th Feb 2005, 08:00
Er no. From recollection I believe 303 Sqn were credited with more kills during the BoB, however it's a contentious subject that keeps the stats geeks happy.

The whole issue of the Sqns disbandment makes my blood boil and although I am aware of the policy surrounding which sqn stays and which goes, I believe that it is flawed.

Both 54(F) and 41(F) were in the thick of defending the nation in 1940 and that alone should give them precedence; 6 Sqns unbroken history in my mind is insufficient an argument for it's survival, the whole system needs to be reviewed and soon!

Hurrrumph! Chunter, chunter!

"You can teach MONKEYS to fly better than that"

whowhenwhy
6th Feb 2005, 08:28
I was always told that the fuel dumping came about because they had to fill the tanks so much to allow her to get home and when they pressurized on start it blew the extra out the back. Don't recall the T-Birds venting more than the single seaters. Standing by to be re-educated.

Unfortunately can't make it to the farewell in March, but I'll be there in spirit. Any plans to resurrect an ex-OC 54s idea one year and do a squadron Christmas Tree (or something more seasonal) formation fly-past at as many stations as possible?

Captain Kirk
6th Feb 2005, 09:47
LH,

Defending the nation? Didn't 6 do something useful in the western desert? Canopeners ring any bells??

The present system is fair - painful thought the outcomes are.

Incidentally, Colt is, of course, the last operational Battle-of-Britain station.

pr00ne
6th Feb 2005, 13:08
Captain Picard,

I think you are forgetting that little place called RAF Northolt with 32 squadron in residence, are they not BOTH BoB veterans?

As an ex-54 shag I have real mixed feelings about this, sad to see the Sqn go but that damm poncy feline thing displaced a REAL aeroplane on two of my ex Squadrons.

L-H,

6 Sqn, now didn't there used to be a neat little ditty about them? Something to do with the number 6, pooh and "forgetting" to take some groundcrew with them one time?

DuckDodgers
6th Feb 2005, 13:21
Hmm, 1 year to go and both fast jet types i served with will be out of service, think i will head to Africa to keep up my illusion of empire and greatness.............

Thanks to all at Colt i had a wondeful tour there, see you around the buzars!

sooms
6th Feb 2005, 20:15
Having endured two years on s****y six, working for some of the most arrogant, self-centred, ungrateful aircrew I have worked with in 22 years I won't be sorry to see them or the station go. Good Riddance to the increasingly irrelevant Jag Force.

M T Room
6th Feb 2005, 20:46
Sooms, you seem bitter. There are no aircrew on the Jag, only pilots!

Captain Kirk
6th Feb 2005, 20:56
Why is someone who hates pilots, the Jag, and Colt - surfing PPRuNe??

Do you want some vinegar with that chip?:rolleyes:

Maple 01
6th Feb 2005, 21:24
He didn't say he hated pilots, he said he found the 6 sqn ones arrogant - a bit over-protective perhaps Captain Kirk?

Captain Kirk
7th Feb 2005, 06:03
Maple, ...nope, sadly not.

I do know most of them though and, from my perspective, they all seem like damn fine chaps. Just like 54, and 41, and 16 in fact!

Whatever next...pilots....arrogant...never!:cool:

L-H
7th Feb 2005, 09:26
Captain Kirk,

I'm Well aware of 6 Sqns exploits in the WD with the Hurricane IID thanks, you certainly don't need to preach to me about RAF history. However they were not the only sqn serving in North Africa at the time were they, 112 Sqn and 94 Sqn to name but two, as clearly 54(F) were not the only BoB Sqn.

However, the period 10 July 1940 to 31 October 1940 ranks with the Norman invasion and the Spanish Armada in historical significance for this country and units that were directly involved in the BoB should be safeguarded for future generations. My main concern is that another sqn with a tangible link into history will simply become extinct.

6 Sqn have had a good run but really what reason do they have to continue except unbroken service, the majority of which was overseas. They should bow to greater precedence.:E

Skeleton
7th Feb 2005, 12:14
I take it Sooms you didn't want to go to Norfolk then?

Have you ever worked with Harrier pilots by the way?

Captain Kirk
7th Feb 2005, 17:41
Chill L-H,

I wasn't preaching, just illustrating that whatever criteria you use, it is very difficult to differentiate - especially when so much emotion is involved. Thank you for making my point :ok:

You actually make a very good case...but then the BofB heritage is preserved with the likes of 1 Sqn.

Of course, I would expect nothing less than fierce defence of (guessing) your Sqn; for what it is worth, I am personally very sorry to see such an illustrious Sqn disband. Why don't we chat over a beer on the 12th!

the_cyclone
7th Feb 2005, 18:10
sooms...

Why good riddance?
6 Sqn isn't getting disbanded!

L-H
8th Feb 2005, 08:31
Captain Kirk,

Chill pill duly administered and..............................aaaaaaaaaahh!

I know in my heart that what is to be will be, but that doesn't make it any easier but if I get an invite from the Sqn on the 12th I'll certainly have a beer with you and chew the cud.

"Spring chicken to sh!thawk in one easy lesson" :ok:

28 Ft Wingspan
8th Feb 2005, 21:22
L-H - Don't wait for an individual invite, the disbandment is a free for all to all current and former 54 (F) Sqn members. Contact the Sqn Adj for details.

768A
8th Feb 2005, 22:36
We knew it was coming, but very sad, all the same.

As with all other posters, had some marvellous times there.

Most vivid memory was 1 Squadron Hunter leaflet bombing us Lightning "linies" on 1st April 1968 (?), about the time the Hunter was flown under Tower Bridge.

Anybody know how an ex-Coltishall (non Jaguar) guy can "blag" an invite to any of the closing down ceremonies?

flaps now
26th Feb 2005, 15:18
I Spent 6 years in the Royal Air Force and was fortunate enough to spend all of them as a Firefighter stationed at Coltishall. What a fantastic Camp and living in Norwich was pretty good too. Planning on flying in there before they close it later this year.

Maple flag and Red flag were probably the best oversea's Dets you could wish for.

sumps
26th Feb 2005, 15:30
Ihave never worked on Jags so I have no animosity, but can we have your techie man power posted to Lyneham as we have gone a bit Ctrl-Alt-Delete down here?:ok:

L1A2 discharged
26th Feb 2005, 21:24
as housing for marham :(

Phil Sparks
27th Feb 2005, 15:22
L-H, Chaps.

For more details on the disbandment weekend, there's a quick run-down by the Sqn Exec on the bulletin board on the embryonic 54 Sqn Chat Forum at http://dominoproductions.co.uk/54sqn

As 28ft Wingspan said, the weekend is open to all members and ex-members of the Sqn.

L-H - it would be great to see you. Just get in touch and it can be made to happen. As for the highest scoring sqn debate, I discovered recently that the truth will probably never be known. Speaking to a senior chap in the AHB, it would appear that records of kills/claims were not attributed in such a way that it would be possible to work out exactly how many kills each unit achieved. We can discuss further during the disbandment weekend.

PS

whowhenwhy
27th Feb 2005, 15:47
Anyone know if Michael Rondot is planning on a final Jag picture?

Phil Sparks
27th Feb 2005, 16:14
whowhenwhy:

I don't know about a final Jag picture, but he has done one to mark the demise of 54(F) Sqn. He has produced a limited edition of 250 prints depicting the Jag with the yellow 'disbandment' fin pictured earlier in this thread, with a few others formating on it. I suspect there will also be a number of special 'remarque' (I think that's how it's spelt) editions that if I recall correctly carry a small artists pencil drawing of the aircraft depicted in the print in one of the bottom corners. Not sure, but you'd probably have to go direct to Mike Rondot to secure one of those.

PS

hairyclameater
28th Feb 2005, 08:46
Any ideas what will be flying and when on the Saturday? Mass flypast - those snow birds & special tails gonna be airborne?? Be nice to have a nose over the fence...

Phil Sparks
28th Feb 2005, 19:37
HairyClamEater:

16(R) are organising the flying/static display for the 12th. Suggest you contact them for details. Send a PM if you want to know more.

PS