joe
3rd Feb 2005, 17:27
When downloading, is 30 KB/sec slow?

If so how can i improve the rate?

Anyone?

Joe

BRL
3rd Feb 2005, 18:08
Hi Joe. I am not sure about download speeds but I do know the speed can depend on a few things. First is your connection, what is it? I have also noticed some sites can download around 59kb and some as little as 29 or so(I am on 512k broadband), it, I think, depends on how much traffic there is to the site.

It is a combination of things at the end of the day. Your connection speed, the web-site download speed, web traffic and so on.

I don't know if you can get some kind of accelerator either. If a site downloads at say, 30kb, you are not going to get it faster. I could be way out wrong in my assumption here but I am just going on my experiences in the past. No doubt someone in the know will be along shortly to help you but I hope this helps for now. :)

Evo
3rd Feb 2005, 18:14
When downloading, is 30 KB/sec slow?

The short answer is no, not really.

The longer answer is that it depends. For general day-to-day use i'd have thought that it's quite reasonable. If you're regularly trying to download large files, then it might be a bit slow.

<old git mode>
first modem I had downloaded at 300 baud - that's 0.0375 KB/S, or roughly 1/1000th of what you're getting.
</old git>

goates
3rd Feb 2005, 18:16
That all depends on your internet connection speed and the site you are downloading from.

Most ISPs give their connection speeds in kilobits (kb/s) per second. Most programs give the download speed in kilobytes (KB/s). To get from the second back to the first, multiply the second by 8 (8 bits to a byte). Or take your connection speed and divide it by 8 to get an idea of how quick you can theoretically download files.

The ISPs speed is the theoretical maximum, and you will never reach it. Internet trafic in general, the quality of your phone or cable line and many other things will affect the download speed.

If you let us know what kind of cennection you have, we might be able to give a better answer.

goates

joe
3rd Feb 2005, 18:57
Cheers guys,

I think it is down to the site that i am downloading from but I appreciate all your comments.

Rgds