PDA

View Full Version : How often are aircraft washed?

Joe Curry
3rd Feb 2005, 16:17
I noticed some aircraft seem to get really
dirty, some are not too bad but are obviously in need of a wash

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=417665

Onan the Clumsy
4th Feb 2005, 18:07
I believe washing is part of a required maintenance schedule.

A GA aircraft must be washed (might be just the engine) when it has an anual or a 100 hours. Obviously, they can be washed more often as needs be.

The airlines have a similar rewuiement, but offhand I don't know it. Different sircraft get more dirty than others, like the Classic 737 as opposed to the NG 737 for instance. This is because the reversers slide on the NG a/c, but are the bucket type on the Classic model. The buckets direct a lot of dirty exhaust directly at the fuselage.

Jerricho
4th Feb 2005, 18:27
If you are to believe that photo in the "Easy takes a bath", they just have drive thrus!

S92mech
21st Feb 2005, 15:23
At the helicopter company where I work, we wash our aircraft everyday. A fresh water wash is required after last flight when aircraft is flown in salt laden area.

Kolibear
22nd Feb 2005, 09:31
If you are voluntering, I can provide a bucket and sponge.

BHPS
22nd Feb 2005, 13:59
S92Mech

At the helicopter company where I work, we wash our aircraft everyday. A fresh water wash is required after last flight when aircraft is flown in salt laden area.

Is it that the engines get washed or the whole aircraft? In the company I work for the engines are washed every day to remove salt encrustation, but the rest of the machine is only washed once a week to remove the rest of the dirt and grime in accordance with its maintenance schedule.