PDA

View Full Version : Brandy Sour

sangiovese.
2nd Feb 2005, 19:07
A mate has just returned from Akrotiri and kindly (?) given me a bottle of Keo brandy. Now, since I no longer have the opportunity to visit Akrotiri to get the other ingredients, the question's are:

1. How do I recreate an Akrotiri Brandy Sour in the UK? I have the brandy, some Magic Drops (really old but bet it doesn't matter) and some crap plastic jugs.

2. What are the best UK ingredients? Which lemon and tonic?

3. What are the correct quantites (for the start of the evening!)

4. How do I recreate the Block 101 experience? (no p*ssing in the sink)

Ideas gratefully accepted

:)

Background Noise
2nd Feb 2005, 19:24
You know it won't travel don't you!

You really need the Keo bitters and the Lanitas lemon syrup rather than squash. I've managed a passable imitation using the french lemon syrup - the stuff that comes in tin containers. Otherwise try lemon squash and lemonade instead of soda water.

All you need then is 25 degrees in the shade and a party that starts at lunchtime. Oh - and a 7 course meat feast.

I found some references on google but most have advertising connections:

3 to 4 splashes angostura bitters swirled with ice then poured out
2 measures of brandy
1/2 measure lemon juice
topped up to taste lemonade

BEagle
2nd Feb 2005, 19:32
"Oi, Chris you great poof, 3 jugs of Brandy Sour NOW whilst we wait for a taxi to some Kebab house or other..."

"OK, Sir. No problem, I fix taxi for tanker wankers...."

"OK - taxi to Polis' then"

"Why you go there, sirs?"

"The food is better"

"But Chris Kebab give you free Kokinelli...."

"And Filfar?"

"OK sirs, free Kokinelli and Filfar"

"Deal. 5 minutes?"

"Yes, sirs"

"Great. 3 more jugs then, please!"

(Some minutes later)

"Hi Stavros - are you are taxi to Chris Kebab?"

"Yes, sir"

"Great. 2 in the front, 4 in the back?"

"OK"

"Pick us up at 2230 so we can have a quick round before the pub shuts - we've got MT at 0730"

Next day- headache, blinding sun, stagger over to the OM for eggy bakes, then back for the wheels. Off to Ops, ask the Eng to load the crew bags whilst we do the numbers. Get the Met, get the JetPlan, smile at the tanned lovelies in Ops, brief the fighters, out to the jet. Cup of coffee, do the checks, check the fighters in. Crank up, watch the fighters launch, racing foxtrot RV, join in the climb, all aboard, chop to Nicosia, breath out. Happy times!!

sangiovese.
2nd Feb 2005, 20:36
Not forgetting the Cabin Soup doing the pre-start LHR's too Beagle

Charlie Luncher
2nd Feb 2005, 21:48
Delaying the pre-flight of the Mighty Hunter to make it to the feeder before the Tanka Wankas and Trucka F**kas just to annoy and ruffle their little blue suits:{ .

Charlie sends:ok:

2port
3rd Feb 2005, 10:20
Background Noise

"a party that starts at lunchtime" - lightweight.

Land at dawn, pi**ed by lunchtime, sunburnt by 4, sober-ish by 5 and pi**ed again by dusk... and so on...

2P

FatBaldChief
3rd Feb 2005, 10:34
Post Kebeb Limmers sounds like a good idea.
Drop off at the shoe shop and down to Crazy Parrots.
Down the strip. More Sours. Bump into a girl you went to school with. More sours. It's getting light. Now it's dark.
Open the curtains. Who is she? EEK I am on earlies. 4 hrs ago. Taxi back. Walk of shame.
Cap off left right left right.
Happiest days of my life!!
Brandy Sour Lifesource and Lifeforce.
Anyone for a Bacon and Halloumi?

:8 :D

Roland Pulfrew
3rd Feb 2005, 14:05
Surely you must have the Keo Lemon Juice as well. Anything else and it just doesn't taste the same!!:cool: :cool:

Spugford
9th Feb 2005, 15:19
It's never going to be the same... George the Barman isn't making it for starters!!

'What's that George, you only put half a litre of brandy in that jug!'

Still get heartburn from 5 months holding at Club Med AKR, 3 years on!!

:cool:

BEagle
9th Feb 2005, 16:27
Certainly needs the authentic lemon juice and bitters! And plenty of Keo brandy!

Has George finally called it a day?

Impiger
9th Feb 2005, 17:39
Yes Siiiiirr

Everything fine in Offfficers Mess

You want to buy some shoes?

Met my wife there and she's still the gal of my dreams

mr ripley
9th Feb 2005, 18:21
I once bought the exact products that were used from the bar at Akrotiri. The result was close and I think the difference was the ice and the plastic jugs.

It was:
Anglais Brandy
The NAAFI version of Angasturo Bitters
Kean Lemon Squash
Schweppes Soda Water
Crushed Ice

Can't remember the mix.

Stonecutter
10th Feb 2005, 11:02
What you need to make an authentic one is:

Lanitis Lemon Squash, for those in the area, it is available from the Cypriot liquor shops down The Caledonia Road, heading up from Kings Cross Station.

Now then, how about the correct White Rum to use for one of those Rum & Cokes drunk in copious amounts at The Belle Vue in Belize City?????

SC

Regie Mental
11th Feb 2005, 08:53
George was till in situ providing his 'Georgie Bests' in 2003. His Brandy Sours were superior as he used equal measures of 7 Up and Soda instead of just Soda.

sangiovese.
11th Feb 2005, 09:29
Kings Cross...I pass by quite often, I may have to route off track next time. As for white rum in Belize...not sure what they put in the drinks but the last session some years ago I think I ended up at Rauls Rose Garden (the Eng and Loadie took me honest)

Now 7up and tonic.....sounds familiar now I think about it

:yuk:

sangiovese.
17th Mar 2005, 19:03
Success! Waitrose 50% lemon squash - spent last night concocting. Just need the weather now!

beerdrinker
18th Mar 2005, 14:39
Sangiovese,

How are you getting on?

Have just tried mixing several drops of Angostura with crushed and lump ice
300ml (½ pint) Keo Brandy
75 ml (1/8) pint) Lantis Lemon Juice
One 330 ml can of seven up
One 330 ml can soda water.

Tastes pretty good to me but my memories are fading as they are based on visiting folks who were based at Episkopi some 30 odd years ago.

Engineer
18th Mar 2005, 15:09
Brandy sour!! must be an officers drink :(

Now if you are talking Harvey Wallbangers Dayton airshow style that was a tanker w@nker drink.

Wonder what happened to that huge American flag that was aquired from the roof of some building in San Diego after a session of HWs and hung in the crew room at BZN :cool:

Ah fond memories :ok:

BEagle
18th Mar 2005, 15:30
Well, somehow a Brandy Sour tasted better in Akrotiri and a Harvey Wallbanger tasted better in the USofA.

We (OK - it was Mars Bar) once made up some pretty high octane 'Electric OJ' in the front galley of the Vickers FunBus, for dispensing to selected airshow guests at Abbotsford.

Like the 'Miss Geniality' girls and their minder (if you're reading this, Alex W, remind that old bugger Basil I still have certain photos!). But some was also offered to a visiting spam General, who happily quaffed it. "Good job the General isn't going anywhere today" said one of the VC10 crew...
"No, Sir", replied the General's bottom-wiper, "He'll be flying his C-21A back to C-Springs after the show!"

No-one dared tell him - hope he had fun flying his Lear!

The definitive PPRuNe Brandy Sour sounds as though it's almost been perfected now!

engineer(retard)
18th Mar 2005, 15:38
Provided some Electric OJ for a mate who was stuck in Stanley Hospital for Xmas. Hid it in a fanta bottle to get around the no alcohol rule. Unfortunately, matron (army major)took a quick snifter on her rounds and I was trousers on back to front the following day.