PDA

View Full Version : Finally they are gone!!!

Touch'n'oops
2nd Feb 2005, 04:22
I cannot believe Boeing has only just got round to removing the sodding eyebrow windows!!!!
A lot of people argue that they assist in visually locating other aircraft... NOT when you have stuff these windows with charts and newspaper to stop the blistering sun from shining in!!!!

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2005/photorelease/q1/050126h.jpg

Can anyone give me a good reason for these windows in the first place????

Jetavia
2nd Feb 2005, 05:41
In the past the eyebrow windows helped provide better crew visibility, but today's advanced navigation systems have made those windows obsolete. The design change reduces airplane weight by 20 pounds and eliminates approximately 300 hours of periodic inspections per airplane. Retrofit kits to cover eyebrow windows will be available mid-2006 for the in-service 737 fleet.

Source: boeing

Sonny Hammond
2nd Feb 2005, 06:12
I am pretty sure these have never been used for celestial nav so I can only imagine that these windows were used whilst flying inverted!

Good riddance, however this will delay my case against boeing for skin cancer....

Mr.Buzzy
2nd Feb 2005, 10:42
I believe the windows are a throwback to the model 720/707 days when inflight refueling was a requirement for the initial military submission.

bbbbbbbbzzzzzzzbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzz

VRThomas
2nd Feb 2005, 16:04
I'll bet those windows came in handy for keeping visual with airport during circling maneuvers.

Any CPAir/PW fellas out there?:cool:

Kamloops, Terrace, Smithers, Etc.

VRT

con-pilot
2nd Feb 2005, 16:50
VRThomas has a good point; I did use those eyebrow windows quite a lot during visual and circling approaches. Plus it was always a good place a map when you didn’t need it.

VRThomas
2nd Feb 2005, 20:28
F/O: "Bank Angle!... Bank Angle!!!:oh:

Captain: " Shut-up kid, I've got it! OK?

After landing...

F/O: Golly Captain that was coool. Can I do the next one????

Captain: "NO.":\

VRT

This was NOT an airbus maneuver :p

Old Smokey
5th Feb 2005, 04:02
Fiinally, CRM has found it's way into aircraft design. In the (not so good) old days, they were useful for keeping the runway in sight from the opposite seat to the runway during a circling approach.

Now in the days of CRM, we simply have the pilot in the other seat keep an eye on the runway for us.

Old Smokey

Flight Detent
5th Feb 2005, 05:33
Nope !!!

Don't think so 'Old Smokey' -

If CRM still governed aircraft design, we would have retained the Flight Engineer, it's designers who govern here, not airplane operators!

Cheers, FD :cool:

gaterbait
5th Feb 2005, 06:39
T'N'O why don't you use the removable sunshades that Boeing provide for the #s 4&5 windows? they fit neatly into the slots at the sides of the seats. Or is your company too POSB to buy them? Or did you throw them away to make room for your Playboy magazine?

Touch'n'oops
5th Feb 2005, 08:14
Gaterbait

I don't use the screens because:

1. They fall out as fast as I put them in.
2. some bright spark has thrown/taken them.
3. I have no bin in the flight deck for old charts!!!!!:hmm:

I am still happy to see them gone!!!:p :p :p

Panama Jack
5th Feb 2005, 16:55
I am pretty sure these have never been used for celestial nav

Actually, (and I don't know if the comments were tongue in cheek), but I've heard of star shots being taken from the flight decks of 707's and 737's. Wasn't there though, so. . . . :uhoh:

VRThomas
5th Feb 2005, 21:56
And 727's!

Was there a post-market kit for a bubble in the roof of the 27's for this very purpose?

Northwest Territorial maybe?

VRT

breid
6th Feb 2005, 00:32
There is no need for a bubble in the airframe to do a starshot. A mount for the astrocompass is near a window in the cockpit. Of course your field of view would be less than with a bubble.

Ignition Override
6th Feb 2005, 04:10
VRThomas: how much bank angle or pitch angle will the Airbus 'boss' , eh...I mean fly-by-wire computers, allow you, even during cruise?:) They did not save the crews on the A-330 at Toulouse.

Ever see the movie "2001 Space Odyssey", directed by the superb Stanley Kubrik? Remember the computer 'boss' HAL?

Red Moyayo
8th Feb 2005, 04:55
I feel like I am breaking from the trend here but I have to say I will miss those little windows. It feels like we have lost a little bit of character now.

One of my mates calls them the "charlie windows". Installed so that we can see 'Charlie' coming out of the sun!! :D He flys a crappy 767 though so what would he know :}

........... a sad day. :{

VRThomas
8th Feb 2005, 05:18
Well IO,

I'm pretty sure that HAL would not allow the bank angles that were required to circle a 737 into Kamloops (BC) with a 15 knot Xwind.

Maybe it would be better to just not look out ANY windows until the turn to runway heading is complete!

VRT

Anyone got any stories???