PDA

View Full Version : Flying in NZ

Sylvie
2nd Feb 2005, 00:30
Hi everyone,

I'm a privat pilot (training for commercial) in Australia and like to take my 70 year old Dad for a scenic flight through New Zealand (planned for 2006 the earliest). I'd like to hire a plane (e.g. Cessna 172) and fly as PIC (so, without a local instructor). I wonder if I have to do a mountain flying course in order to get a plane or if there are any requirements I have to meet. In fact I quite like the idea of doing a proper course anyway since there are hardly any serious mountains in Australia. Any tips would be very much appreciated. Also ideas on routes to fly with spectacular views (like the scene in the Lord of the Rings when the beacons are lit - does anyone know which mountain range that was?).

Thanks in advance and happy flying!

Sylvie

Groundsman Willy
2nd Feb 2005, 04:31
G'day Silvie

Wakatipu Aeroclub - the only serious mountain flying course available, Queenstown, New Zealand - (+64) 3 442 3048 or 3148.

They have a web site but for the life of me I cant remember what it is, a quick search should come up with them no probs.

You can hire planes for some parts of NZ after just a check flight, but for the mountainous regions you'd struggle to get anyone to hire you a plane for such a trip and you'd be a bl@@dy fool to try it without some experience. I've got over 500hrs in the southern alps and every day I see and learn something new... if you ever lose respect for this place leave the plane on the ground!!!

There's a list of Lord of the ring locations around the Queenstown and South NZ area nearly as long as your arm.

River Bruinen, Pillars of the Kings, Isengard, The Misty Mountains, Fangorn Forest... blah... blah... blah... heaps more. The Remarkables Mountain Range is the back drop to the airport and they were used half a dozen times in the movie. A grass14 circuit with crosswind leg flying straight at the mountains :ooh: is enough to scare most PPL and some CPL pilots into submission.

Not many places like it in the world and I'm gonna miss it... until I get back!!!

All the best

GW :ok:

Killer Loop
2nd Feb 2005, 05:20
www.flying.co.nz if I remember correctly.