PDA

View Full Version : Friendly country airfields

N2000
1st Feb 2005, 21:38
Simple question

Can anyone recommend any country airfields in Victoria, or NSW, where a cuppa is available midweek?

N2000

Atlas Shrugged
1st Feb 2005, 21:50
Hay in NSW :ok:

DeltaSix
1st Feb 2005, 23:32
Orange in NSW - the kiosk is open during the week inside the terminal........

Had a sandwich and coffee there.

busconductor
2nd Feb 2005, 05:46
Not sure if Merimbula counts as 'country' but there is a great coffee shop in the terminal or a 20 minute walk to Wheelers for oysters and fish and chips.

Hard to beat

Bidgee
3rd Feb 2005, 01:40
Griffith Aero Club

A1BUGSMASHER
3rd Feb 2005, 02:23
Try Cobden airfield in Vic. Used to go there a bit 2-3 years ago, training occurs there wed and Thur, and there is usually tea there at the aeroclub wed night's. Very friendly people who love their flying.

As I left that part of the counrty they were about to get a fuel bowser.

frangatang
3rd Feb 2005, 08:31
Bendigo. Land and ring my m-in law betty,she lives 5 mins away
and as she has been taught how to brew a decent cuppa by a pom
she must be tops! Seriously ,merimbula was great as already stated.

Arm out the window
3rd Feb 2005, 09:39
We used to get a great chicken, cheese and avocado toasted sanger at Mildura on any day of the week, as I recall.

OZAZTEC
4th Feb 2005, 19:56
La Trobe Valley YLTV

Great Clubhouse, Friendly people and the urn is hot

N2000
5th Feb 2005, 06:34
Thanks folks, keep them coming, I feel a few good trips coming on.

Avgas172
5th Feb 2005, 11:07
And wonderful beautiful Cowra... call into the hangar Lachlan Valley Aviation, Avgas available and a cuppa for free, also aero club is open when we are in residence ....oh did I mention no landing fees..... and $5 cab ride into town http://au.msnusers.com/cowraaeroclub .... or google it to cowra aero club :cool:

geeup
5th Feb 2005, 11:21
Try Maitland NSW nice little club house, bar area and pool. Time it right and you may even see the a couple pitts doing the odd show.
Also highly recommend Merimbula:ok:

OzExpat
5th Feb 2005, 12:52
Mudgee used to be pretty good too. I have very many fond memories of GW Campbell Aviation and the Mudgee Aero Club. Been a real long time since I've been there though, so don't know if it's still the same.

I was gutted with George died.

Rocket Rob
8th Feb 2005, 22:30
Try Barwon Heads near Geelong, get a cuppa during week and Saturday Night a meal and a few drinks (as long as you are not flying on the drinks)

Great Air Rally on the 27th Feb. should be a good show as it has been for a few years now (Happens at different venues each time)

Had to edit as saw your origin and maybe you do not know the location, Geelong is in Victoria.

Ang737
9th Feb 2005, 03:26
Yeah just dodge the meat bombs at BH. Doesnt like a friendly atmosphere down that way...

Ang ;)

Rocket Rob
9th Feb 2005, 08:34
ANG 737

Bit concerned about not friendly? do not even count the Dancing Boy in my equation, we are talking about the Aero Club and in my opinion the Dancing Boy is the only Wank*r down that way.

Avid_One
9th Feb 2005, 23:59
Kettle is also on most weekends in Cobden.
Great bakery in town....within walking distance.
Also 3rd Sunday of the month, the mini railway runs.
Thats located just beside the airfield.
Think its about $1.50 a ride per person Approx 2k track that runs around a garden area... No.. not a direct line into town..!
Avgas is now available.

Next fly-in is on in October, and we have gr8 spit roast tea

Can give more details if required.

Hey, this is my 1st post here!!

Woomera
10th Feb 2005, 00:07
Avid_One

Welcome and bring your mates too.:ok: :)

Avid_One
10th Feb 2005, 23:19
Thanks Woomera .. I will tell them!

N2000 .. If Cobden is on your list, let me know and I will put the kettle on. I live near and can put out the welcome mat!!

criticalmass
12th Feb 2005, 08:19
Wollongong...try the microlight people there, they are usually there midweek and they drink a lot of tea, usually need no prompting to boil the jug.

Think they are in the helicopter hangar.

frangatang
13th Feb 2005, 02:51
Polzeath ,north cornwall,grass strip 900m,15 min walk to some nice surfing and grub.Fit the boogie board in back of plane.
Oh all right l am 11000miles off track.

UnderneathTheRadar
16th Feb 2005, 12:22
Try the Brown Brothers winery strip near Millawa (near Wang).

PPR - look at their website for strip details.

Get in, pop over the road for the winery (yep, it's a great place to take passengers) and a top little restaurant.

When I last went they even gave the pilot a bottle of wine for bringing tha pax.

Mere Mortal
18th Feb 2005, 01:11
The Aeroclubs in Tassie were a top bunch of people. Very helpful and always interested to hear about your trip across the pond to the south island.

Went to Ballarat recently, very interesting. The jet crowd there were very friendly, offered free coffee and if they're not busy flying, they will show you their toys.

Then we went to the Aeroclub for fuel. They're a bit on the rude side, offered us coffee then proceeded to shake a tin for donations in our direction.

Parablues
18th Feb 2005, 13:32
I recommend stopping in at the Murray Bridge Flying School for Cup of Instant Coffee (on sale at Bi-Lo), stale, clearance rack biccies, and great conversation, on how you apply for a CFI position, not get through the briefing, because CASA were so disgusted with your performance, that they DEMOTE you to a Grade II instructor level. The sad thing is, is that when I was having a cup of coffee with CASA (Robert Timms, I might add) they coyly informed me of these sad state of affairs. We can always try to enjoy stories of the fishing exploits or perhaps some wily Jabiru adventure down towards the Murray Mouth... Wow! Howard Hughes would want to live and breathe again...

N2000
19th Feb 2005, 07:27
Thanks folks, keep them coming!!

Cobden sounds fun, Brown Brothers sounds excellent, but perhaps a touch and go at Murray Bridge to avoid the bi-lo coffee?

N2000

Lukeatme
19th Feb 2005, 21:03
If you are doing a trip by next weekend (26th/27th. Feb) see the heading "The Great Air Rally" post on this site mate.

N2000
24th Feb 2005, 08:41
Sorry wont be till March

Super Cecil
24th Feb 2005, 09:07
Temora, try a flying weekend. Best displays in the country if not the world, if it's not a flying weekend go into town to the bakery for breaky then spend the rest of the day walking around the museum. :8

Deaf
24th Feb 2005, 11:52
Have to mention Lethbridge for the $105 Sat lunch. Big mob appears ~1230 local for the 1300 (local) feed. Actually $5 plus the flight.

Reverseflowkeroburna
24th Feb 2005, 22:49
Yes, :ok: for Barwon Heads for a quickie outta EN or MB and the fireplace and clubhouse at LTV is fantastic on a windy wintery day, the verandah great on a nice one too!!

I'll second Milawa near WGT!! The Brown Bros winery & restaurant is a 2min walk across the road, its a great strip (abeit with powerlines at one end!) that could handle a Navajo or a Titan if need be and makes for a fantastic trip back to MB/EN/PC etc via the mountains/snowfields!! Go once and you'll be sure not to be the flying pilot the second time around! ;)