PDA

View Full Version : JAA IR Prep?

sawotanao
1st Feb 2005, 17:42
Shortly be training towards the JAA IR (Modular) @ CCAT/Bonus, Cranfield. What prep' or reading would u guy's recommend doing towards making the training a little less turbulent?
Ps I have RANT and completed JAA CPL last summer. Cheers Sa'

Jinkster
1st Feb 2005, 18:42
All I can say is 'Good Luck'

RVR800
2nd Feb 2005, 09:12
Threre is no definitive practical text on the IR.

Instrument Flying (Hoy) consisting of many extracts from the
CAA written years ago and some material on the ground exams

There is no video on good practice in JAA IR flying. I would be nice to see one of the esteemed FCL IREs on camera showing us how it should be done.

There are very few learning materials that offer demonstations of good practice in the instrument field.

Sadly its 'teaching by assessment' - which is expensive - good for the receivers of the cash.... (6 pounds a minute)

Snakecharmer
2nd Feb 2005, 09:18
Although I didn't do my IR with Bonus, I do know that Pete Godwin is excellent at sorting basic IF prior to moving to the next part of the syllabus. So, with the flying taken care of (!), your best bet is probably to spend any spare time you have with the RANT. Once you've been briefed on the school's pet methods of doing the hold etc, the RANT will provide you with good 'needle familiarity', thus reducing your workload once in the air / sim.

Although I didn't, I don't suppose that using the RANT tutorials in advance of the Course would do any harm, being as the RANT was written by a CAA Flight Examiner... the chap who did my initial IRT!

CAT3C AUTOLAND
2nd Feb 2005, 16:51
Agree with Snake Charmer, and I also agree that drinking beer and eating curry is a good past time :D. It is a good idea to become familiar with simple things like needle familiarity. For example, which way do I need to turn to intercept certain NDB QDM/QDR's and VOR radials, and how do I go about positioning the aircraft to achieve this.

RANT is a good tool to achieve the above. If you have access to a flight sim (FS2004), I found it to be a good tool to use to become spatially aware. I am not sure how other people felt, but in the early part of my IR training, with the high work load, I sometimes found it hard to visiualise exactly where the aircraft was. The only information is needles pointing at different beacons, and when you are trying to fly the plane, transmit on the radio and doing checks it can sometimes be very difficult to perform the simple tasks.

With all the above said it all comes with practice. The IR is a good course, good luck and enjoy it!

sawotanao
2nd Feb 2005, 17:09
Many thanks to you all for your comments, I'm actually looking forward to it! Let you know:ok:

spitfire747
4th Feb 2005, 09:13
sawotanao

Agree with whats been said here, familairise yourself with basic instruments VORs NDBs ILSs etc

and

also make sure you know how to fly, yes i mean it.

the most common problem people have who do not understand how aeroplanes actually fly.. for example, levelling at FL50 and increasing speed from climb speed 100kts to 150kts, so many people do not check the control column forward so as speed increases lift increases and before you know it you are at FL51. 100ft is not a big deal but instrument flying should be accurate and you should say to yourself i will fly to limits of +/- ZERO.

Above all you will enjoy it hopefully, i LOVE the course.

Goodluck
SPit

CAT3C AUTOLAND
4th Feb 2005, 14:16
Spirfire loves it so much that when it comes to his test, he is going to do the holds inverted, and then perform a knife edge on the ILS, from which he will walk away with that first time pass :D.

Good luck with your test Spit, and good luck to sawotanao, its a nice feeling when you get through the test.

sawotanao
4th Feb 2005, 17:32
All taken on board chaps, many thanks, I think i'm gona enjoy:ok:

fescalised portion
5th Feb 2005, 13:31
Try this link.......http://roye.home.netcom.com/flighttraining/index.htm

Click on some of the simulators, they may be of some help in trying to understand your relative position to navigation aids.

Hope it is of some help to you..... FP

Snakecharmer
7th Feb 2005, 08:40
CAT3C:

"Spirfire loves it so much that when it comes to his test, he is going to do the holds inverted, and then perform a knife edge on the ILS, from which he will walk away with that first time pass ."

Seems fair... worked for me!