PDA

View Full Version : Questions to ask regards IR conversion

SHARPPOINT
1st Feb 2005, 15:15
Just thought I would touch first base with this valued forum regards questions for IR conversion.

1. I have a FAA Multi-IR, do I need to get a JAA multi-class rating if so can this done with the IR test or is another flight test required?

2. Does the IR test have to be flown in VFR conditions? this will naturally have a large bearing to which time of year I decide to start.

3. As its a conversion therefore I can do say 10 hours in a sim and the other 5-10hours in an actual aircraft can anyone confirm this?

4. Locations of IR test centres, I know one is Leeds and Bristiol is another, I want to save my hard earned pounds by not relocationg the aircraft, Can any one give any pointers for a full list or provide them?

Any more comments or sensible advise will also be welcome.

thanks

African Drunk
2nd Feb 2005, 13:12
1 Need to do another flight test with MEP but only training as required.

2 Can be IFR

3 10 sim and 5 a/c

4 Exeter, Bristol, Oxford, Bournemouth, Cranfield, Leeds

Fly Ginger
3rd Feb 2005, 21:07
All the schools will tell you the min req. hours etc. If you can buget extra cash, this will help becase speaking from personal experience, with a licience from over the pond you are not necessarily prepared for the intricacies of the UK. Good luck

Malc
4th Feb 2005, 14:46
As far as I understand it, you'll need a 170A prior to taking the IR skills test. see http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG_FCL_06_A.PDF
The multi engine sign-off can be done as part of the 170A.

Useful info about converting at http://www.pat.uk.com/converting.html#nonJAA

Speaking to the FTOs you're thinking of using to find out the typical number of hours for a conversion can help in budgeting.

Spend time in checking out a few FTOs - you'll be spending serious money with them, so make sure before you start that you're happy with their offerings. I'd also suggesting asking the FTOs for references from previous students who have converted from foreign licences. I spoke to one school who claimed to have trained many students in this way, but couldn't/wouldn't put me in touch with any of them.

Canada Goose
4th Feb 2005, 16:39
Sharp Point/African Drunk ...........

I've been informed that the minimum requirements are actually

5 Sim .......... 10 TWIN !!!

Also, as you are aware you will have to obtain an MEP rating .... something which I hadn't really realised. You can do it at the same time as you MEIR test, but would you really want the extra stress of it all !??

I hoping to get underway with things later this month !

Good luck.

Cheers,
CG>

LFS
6th Feb 2005, 15:37
The minimums depend upon the type of sim, 5 hours if its fnpt (1) and 10 hours fnpt (II) also you cannot combine the M/E test with the IR skills test like you can with the CPL. You must have at the least passed the M/E skill test before sitting the IR.

African Drunk
6th Feb 2005, 20:05
LFS
Agree with the rest but there is no requirement to sit the CRST before IRST.
AD