PDA

View Full Version : Flying in New Zealand

Sylvie
1st Feb 2005, 00:59
Hi everyone,

I am an Australian private pilot (training for commercial) and would like to take my 70 year old Dad on a flight through New Zealand for a couple of days, probably in 2006. Since I want to fly as PIC (not taking a local instructor), what are the requirements to hire a plane (e.g. Cessna 172)? I know I have to register with CAA to start with, but do I also have to do a mountain flying course, so that I can actually get a plane? I quite like the idea of getting some mountain flying training anyway, so if someone has a tip for a flying school, please let me know. I'm grateful for any tips on routes to fly (I loved that mountain scene in the Lord of the Rings when the beacons are lit, does anyone know which mountain range that was..?) and whatever else might be useful.

Thanks in advance and enjoy the flying!

Sylvie

NoseGear
1st Feb 2005, 07:34
Hi Sylvie, if you go to the website for the New Zealand CAA, www.caa.govt.nz and look under licencing it will outline what you need to do to obtain a NZ PPL.

As for the flying trip, if you want to fly around the South Island, look at clubs in Christchurch, as you can fly directly there from Aussie. If you want to start in Auckland, I suggest the Auckland Aero Club if you want to hire one of their aircraft. It would take you around 6 hours to get to Queenstown from Auckland in a 172, so 2 days flying if you take it easy. There are lots of enroute places to stop, and the wx this time of year seems to be the best. If you want anymore info, I am sure there are pilots out there who are more current at flying around NZ than I am.

Good luck and have fun, its a beautiful place to fly.

Nosey

flyby_kiwi
1st Feb 2005, 07:50
Check out the licence conversion deal at www.caa.govt.nz In short, the CPL licence exchange will be a fairly simple one and if its anything like converting NZ to Auz licence you can do it before you go.

Another good idea will be to get a set of maps and a Visual Flight Guide (aka AIP Volume 4) sent over to you so you can get a bit of an idea of airspace, local terrain etc.

The requirements to hire an aircraft will be left with the owner. If you have a CPL most organisations will just go up with you for a few circuits and if your looking to travel the entire country they may want to do a bit of an informal briefing.

C172 Would be the best a/c for the trip in my opinion. With only two of you, you will be able to load it up with gear and full fuel and be able to make it into basically all published aerodromes across the country. The high wing is also perfect for the more scenic trips. They are also easy to come by with most operators having at least a couple. Expect to pay about $165ish on TBO for an 'N' model. This will include everthing apart from landing fees which are about $5-$10 at most aerodromes or about $15 at controlled aerodromes.

You will find the procedureal side of things straight foward and most of the country's airspace is uncontrolled anyway below 6500' and nothing much below 13000' in the South Island.

Would happily suggest some routes - How long do you have to fly around? You could some hightlights in about 3 or 4 days or the entire country in about 7-10 with a couple of days off.

Mountain Flying is good fun if your in the South Island. You will not have any difficulty flying around the mountainsas long as as long asyou are conservative and dont go in if its blowing more than about 20kts and make sure the rest of the weather is a clear day. The mountain flying course (mainly done in Queenstown) is well worth it but not required to hire an a/c (bout a half day) but it will improve your confidence around the area immensly.

Have Fun! :ok:

AerocatS2A
1st Feb 2005, 11:07
Flybykiwi, the licence conversion is only simple if you have a "Professional Licence" ie., CPL or higher. With a PPL I believe there is a flight test at least.

1McLay
1st Feb 2005, 21:06
Licence conversion for an Aussie PPL to NZ PPL is simple. Fill in the registration form which Sylvie already knows about and send it to the CAA with $25. So as long as your licence, medical and type ratings are current, then you are eligible to fly in NZ.

See Here (http://www.caa.govt.nz/pilots/For_Australian_pilots.htm) for further details.

Regards

1M

maxspeed
1st Feb 2005, 21:26
Also the time of year you choose to go can greatly increase your chances of good flying> Being born and bred at the base of the southern alps my suggestion woul be late winter early spring ie July Aug Sept, still a bit crisp but normaly good weather, and not to many of the nor'westers or eaven worse as anyone who has done any time in the alps a sou'wester!
As far as the lord of the rings set goes a 5hr round trip out of Christchurch will take you up through Erewon round mount cook over to Hokitika for lunch and back over the alps to Christchurch.
Good luck!!

AerocatS2A
1st Feb 2005, 22:04
My mistake, seems they are getting more and more sensible all the time.

Groundsman Willy
3rd Feb 2005, 03:26
G'day Sylvie

Wakatipu Aeroclub - the only serious mountain flying course available, Queenstown, New Zealand - (+64) 3 442 3048 or 3148.

They have a web site but for the life of me I cant remember what it is, a quick search should come up with them no probs.

You can hire planes for some parts of NZ after just a check flight, but for the mountainous regions you'd struggle to get anyone to hire you a plane for such a trip and you'd be a bl@@dy fool to try it without some experience. I've got over 500hrs in the southern alps and every day I see and learn something new... if you ever lose respect for this place leave the plane on the ground!!!

There's a list of Lord of the ring locations around the Queenstown and South NZ area nearly as long as your arm.

River Bruinen, Pillars of the Kings, Isengard, The Misty Mountains, Fangorn Forest... blah... blah... blah... heaps more. The Remarkables Mountain Range is the back drop to the airport and they were used half a dozen times in the movie. A grass14 circuit with crosswind leg flying straight at the mountains is enough to scare most PPL :eek: and some CPL pilots into submission.

Not many places like it in the world and I'm gonna miss it... until I get back!!!

All the best

GW:ok:

CockpitJunkie
6th Feb 2005, 05:51
Interesting what bulls**t regulators sometimes come up with that is not even in accordance with their own Regulations (and CASA does it as well at times).

Fact: If you hold an Australian licence you do not need to reigster your licence to fly in NZ. While CAANZ may wish you to do so, it is not in accordance with their Regulations.

PART 61
61.5 Requirement for licence and ratings
(a) Pilot licence – New Zealand aircraft flown in New Zealand:
Except as provided in paragraphs (m) and (n), each pilot of a New Zealand
registered aircraft within New Zealand must hold an appropriate current
pilot licence—
(1) issued under this Part; or
(2) issued by the civil aviation authority of Australia; or
(3) validated by the Director.

Enjoy flying in NZ.