PDA

View Full Version : Baiyer Gap, PNG

Wings Of Fury
1st Feb 2005, 00:53
I have recently heard of small arms fire in the Baiyer Gap,:eek: Someone told me to try and avoid going through at a lower level, has anyone got more info on this? is there still fighting going on or has anyone coped some lead yet?:ouch:

Cheers,

WOF.

P.S Is there ever going to be a PNG forum?

tinpis
1st Feb 2005, 01:29
lukim hia (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=152566) :hmm:

Tail_Wheel
4th Feb 2005, 02:04
Been a number of instances of aircraft being hit in PNG. In the old days it was only shot guns and little damage was done. These days they've got more substantial weapons.........

Seem to recall either a Talair Islander or more likely, Twotter landed with a suspicious hole in the horizontal stabiliser 20 or so years ago.

Around 1996 a Hevi Lift Bell 206L3 copped a round through the belly or bubble near Hagen and think the pilot's foot or leg eventually stopped the round.

Pinky the pilot
5th Feb 2005, 09:51
Times obviously change! Once was taking off in a Simbu Islander out of Guari and just on rotation(!) saw a very young lad loose off an arrow from a rather large bow at me! He missed by many feet (I think!) but I had had a lousy morning and that finished it!!
A spit a**e turn off the end of the runway, dumped full flap and I was back down on the strip in short order. Then proceeded to inform a somewhat startled village elder of the circumstances.
Will never forget the grim look that passed over his face as I told him what caused my sudden return and his assurance that......"this will not happen again Captain".
Often wonder what they did to the little bastard but am also aware that it may possibly be best if I never find out!

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

tinpis
5th Feb 2005, 21:14
Often wonder what they did to the little bastard but am also aware that it may possibly be best if I never find out!

That sort of attitude would most likely have led him to a seat in the PNG parliament.

Pinky the pilot
6th Feb 2005, 09:12
That sort of attitude would most likely have led him to a seat in the PNG Parliament
Tinpis; A bit cynical don't you reckon? Unfortunately, I think that you're quite correct too!:{ :{ :{

you're born. Once when

sixtiesrelic
2nd Mar 2005, 10:11
Good place to stay away from.
In the early seventies they still chucked rocks on us in the 3s.
There was the saying that we were like Cray fish. Crack the shell and there's great stuff inside.

Warhawk
4th Mar 2005, 04:49
Well 60's you'd be pleased to know there are some things in life you can still count on!

I believe the Longranger drivers at SWA in Mendi still get rocked, especially during election time! Also heard that a few years ago their Twatter was caught in an election shoot out at Tari! (was chartered to carry ballot boxes - may as well paint a bullseye on it!) Ha

Fun in the sun wontoks!:}

Pinky the pilot
6th Mar 2005, 10:15
Cplane; Any idea what calibre the round was?
Just interested.

you're born. Once when