PDA

View Full Version : How does the military compare to this?

Smurfjet
31st Jan 2005, 06:13
This topic (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=161332) was brought up on R&N.
How does the evolution of the military pilot profession, at airforces around the world, compare to what is being discussed?

Hueymeister
31st Jan 2005, 07:13
Hmmmm let's see..

Pension's good..but that's about to change

Pay's good...but that's also relative...

We can't join a Union either.....but that's actually also a moot point. Many on this forum know who I am...no great secret as I have nothing wildly a) inflammatory to say or b) interesting to say. I work for a European Air Force that does have a union. They can't strike, but they have DIRECT access to the MOD/Government outside of the military structure. It means that gripes/problems do get aired at the HIGHEST levels. An example: The flying pay system for the armed forces in this country was changed...to save money. The net result was that all Fast Jet mates and WSO's got the top rate, band 2 was awarded to all Truckies, QFI/QHI's all Naval and Army Helo pilots, and band 3 went to the Air Force helo pilots. Now we all (Helo dudes) do the same job, go to the same OOA theatres, but because the Jetties have more job stress (open for debate), they got the better deal and can retire on a FULL pension at 41 (the equiv of us at 55). The Navy and Army helo pilots 'were more likely to lead multiple ac formations' so got band 2. Needless to say the Air Force felt a tad abused and so complained through the Union. 6 Months later all CR Air Force Helo pilots went up to band 2. It's not the answer to everything, but it has it's advantages.

Now back to comparison..mates of mine who have recently left the mob for 'greener pastures' are finding it quite a bit different than they imagined. They are working more unsociable hours than before, work rosters are reguarly changed at very short notice, and the pay isn't that great, especially without a pension to rely on. I know the arguements about job safety, being blown up/shot down abound in the constant comparisons between civvy and mil flying, but the jobs we do are quite different.