PDA

View Full Version : Tayflight

Tango49
30th Jan 2005, 22:35
I've read the previous comments but was wondering if anyone has any more recent experience and feedback they could share regarding CPL/IR training at Tayflight.

Any help/tips much appreciated.

Cheers,

T49.

Howski
31st Jan 2005, 20:48
I done my Hour Building & CPL and am currently attending the IR course at Prestwick Flight Centre, the standard of Instruction is excellent, and im sure that all the peeps at PFC would be only too happy to show you around.

Pm me if you need any further info..............!

Howski:D

Tango49
2nd Feb 2005, 13:19
Shame about Tayflite's attitude that time - they obviously don't appreciate how little effort it takes to kill sales!

Pity, I was going to shell out the money with them. Anyone else got any up-to-date experience? Would anyone from Tayflite like to exercise their right to reply? I would still like to be convinced that it's the right place to do my CLP/IR due to proximity of home.

Let's see.

ftd83
4th Feb 2005, 11:32
What's stopping you asking them yourself? At least then you can make your own mind up.

Shed Rule :ok:

navoff
7th Feb 2005, 07:56
I have recently completed both CPL and IR at Tayflite. They provided excellent instruction and were very professional. I thoroughly recommend them. I certainly never found them to be unapproachable. As with everything in life, it is what you make of it. They will certainly provide the necessary advice and instruction. An excellent training provider!

Navoff

Nearly Man
8th Feb 2005, 21:37
Well, I got cold shoulder from Tayflight ... not the way to promote your business I think but there you go ..
However, afew mates at Prestwick, rave about it

cliffedge
9th Feb 2005, 15:16
Speaking as a former student of theirs, Tayflite are a bit of a mixed bag. Some of the staff were brilliant, others did indeed have a rather condescending attitude (one female instructor in particular). Few of us there felt like schoolkids rather than customers. They are very busy, and subsequently run a pretty tight schedule in terms of pushing you along, or fitting you in should you need to train around work. That approach also creates problems when people are encountering difficulties with parts of the course. Got a sense that they were a bit irritated to have folk hanging around too long, or coming back for another crack at the IR.

That said, they've put a lot of people through the IR. Would go elsewhere for the CPL though. Better to head across the apron to Tayside for that one I reckon.

Fletch
31st Jan 2006, 19:00
Currently trying to decide on a flight school to carry out my CPL/IR training at and Tayflite is one of the ones that i am considering.

I would therefore appreciate any info from people who have had recent experience with them regarding the quality of their training, availability and attitude of instructors, pass rates, hours to pass, etc

Any info/advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Fletch

MIKECR
2nd Feb 2006, 10:41
Anyone know what Tayflite's price's are for CPL/ME/IR?? I emailed them some time ago but they never got back to me. Was going to phone them but thought somebody here might give me an honest price. There's nothing on their website either.

Fletch
2nd Feb 2006, 18:53
I received a price list from them in October of last year so these prices might now be out of date.

Where some schools give a price for a course (ie CPL, Multi, Ir, etc), Tayflite appear to quote by the hour. For the Arrow £130+vat/hr, Seneca £270+vat/hr and FNPT2 £110+VAT/hr. They say that landing fees and navigation charges are included in these prices.

Seems quite good value hence am interested to hear any recent experiences of the school.

lexmark
3rd Feb 2006, 08:26
After Tayside pulled out of Perth, they no longer do any CPL training anywhere.

As a former student of Tayflite I found them very friendly and professional, however I would always advise you to visit the school in person and meet the instructors in person.

As for hours to pass and first time passes, on the course I was on, it seemed that it was very much down to the quality and location of the individual's basic PPL training. Those who had completed PPLs abroad seemed to consistantly struggle with the CPL and IR.

It is up to the individual, if you are going to struggle with the CPL/IR, it doesn't matter too much which school you're at, it will be tough wherever you go.

clear prop!!!
21st Feb 2006, 20:39
mmmmmmm...........

Man with axe to grind??...Company to promote?????

llesson
21st Feb 2006, 21:51
I did my MEIR at Tayflite and found them to be excellent. Instructors, Management, Admin and aircraft all top notch. :ok:

pomme pilot
16th Aug 2006, 10:39
As we all know, things change very quickly in this industry, one change in staff can really affect a school.
So does anyone have any recent experience with Tayflite? Called them recently and they seemed very friendly and professional, with reasonable prices.
On another note, it amazes me how many establishments treat potential customers… So many fail to return calls, or have staff that really make you feel like you are wasting their valuable time.

Computer says NO!
17th Aug 2006, 08:32
Heard a rumour that Perth airport (Scone) has been sold by its owner as a housing estate. If true, could cause major problems for Tayflight!!

Anyone got any update re above?

atomicflight
17th Aug 2006, 12:53
the owners of perth airfield are closing two of the runways and turning the land into houses dont know the situation about tayflite but most of the prrivate owners are trying to get out ps Tayside do commercial training from dundee

Dried ears
18th Aug 2006, 14:35
I agree with Cliffedge re the female instructor. Great pilot, but not a teacher. However didn't she leave to have a baby?

There is one member of admin staff who has been there a long time, is very close with the boss, and can come accross as though she preaches from a high horse. Apparently she has a cpl/ir herself, though I never saw her use it. In time she mellows as you get to know her, but you never feel as though you know where you are with her, or what's behind the eyes.

When I trained there, albeit some time ago now, I felt the attitude of management was very firmly towards students as students and not also as customers. That said, the pricing was fair and maintenance top notch. Their best instructor left about two years ago though.

All in all no worse a place to train than anywhere else, and a stickler for the rules and regs. The weather is surprisingly good at times too.